Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
NiR

Drives: 2011 camaro 1LT with rs
American cars Reliability stigma vs international cars.

I will be buying my first american car in the next 1-2 weeks.My first Camaro. however my friends always pitch me and tells me that american cars are not reliable and i shouldnt expect to use it long term. i am not planning to just sell my camaro in the near future for a better camaro or anything. i am going to use it as long as i can so i need it to be reliable (along the already stunning good looks/performance). i was debating between a gs350 and this and stylistiaclly/ pricing wise i like this wayyy better. but my friends always kinda lets me know to do my research and make sure about this since they think american cars have a bad reliability stigma to it.

so please people please tell me what it all is about. some bad cars going wrong? i think the new generation cars will all have great mehanics and will be made with good solid items. and wont break down.

but you guys know more about this then i or probably my friends do. from a non biased stand point (ya i know this is a camaro site), what are your thoughts on american cars vs international cars and mostly how does the camaro stand in all of this . i dont just want the camaro to last me 3 years or whatever my warranty is for. i want it to be my car for a long time....
NiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
You buy a Camaro for fun

It's very reliable but if you want to drive a car for 250K miles get a Toyota Camry. You'll die of boredom before it breaks down. Actually, boredom sets in about week 3.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiR View Post
I will be buying my first american car in the next 1-2 weeks.My first Camaro. however my friends always pitch me and tells me that american cars are not reliable and i shouldnt expect to use it long term. i am not planning to just sell my camaro in the near future for a better camaro or anything. i am going to use it as long as i can so i need it to be reliable (along the already stunning good looks/performance). i was debating between a gs350 and this and stylistiaclly/ pricing wise i like this wayyy better. but my friends always kinda lets me know to do my research and make sure about this since they think american cars have a bad reliability stigma to it.

so please people please tell me what it all is about. some bad cars going wrong? i think the new generation cars will all have great mehanics and will be made with good solid items. and wont break down.

but you guys know more about this then i or probably my friends do. from a non biased stand point (ya i know this is a camaro site), what are your thoughts on american cars vs international cars and mostly how does the camaro stand in all of this . i dont just want the camaro to last me 3 years or whatever my warranty is for. i want it to be my car for a long time....
I now have 30,000 miles on my Camaro without a single issue (well...none that weren't of my own doing ). My Audi had already been in the shop a few times by 30K. So far this has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, and definitely the most fun. Don't hesitate for a second...go buy your Camaro!
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
NiR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
It's very reliable but if you want to drive a car for 250K miles get a Toyota Camry. You'll die of boredom before it breaks down. Actually, boredom sets in about week 3.

dont get me wrong. FUN is one reason i am getting the camaro along with its stunning good looks and performance/handling. BUT i just dont want it to be breakin down all the time with big problems. but ya as long as its very reliable i am happy.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
NiR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
I now have 30,000 miles on my Camaro without a single issue (well...none that weren't of my own doing ). My Audi had already been in the shop a few times by 30K. So far this has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, and definitely the most fun. Don't hesitate for a second...go buy your Camaro!
great to read stuff like this. and already on the process!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiR View Post
dont get me wrong. FUN is one reason i am getting the camaro along with its stunning good looks and performance/handling. BUT i just dont want it to be breakin down all the time with big problems. but ya as long as its very reliable i am happy.
Good call...when's the last time you heard someone talking about how much fun they were having in their Camry?
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
American cars' reliability now, is not what it used to be. Meaning big turn around and wayyyy better quality. They are finally doing it right. I've also had several foreign cars and can say that my American cars (GM & Ford) are now just as good if not better.

Most newer vehicles will be a good buy nowadays. But the longevity of any car/truck etc depends on what the vehicle is subjected to and how it's cared for and that goes for all brands be they domestic or imports.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Just don't get a BMW or Mercedes and you will be fine. My 2000 Mercedes S500 was the worst car I ever had and it cost $75k. Stay away from these pieces of crap. See photo below.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
OrangeFury
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2010 IOM 1LT, 1974 Corvette
Your friends sound like douchers.
OrangeFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Your profile says you drive a 'cherokee' - which is an American car. I'll bet it's got a lot of miles on it, too, and is still running. You don't need us to tell you that American cars can go the distance...

The Camaro is proving to be reliable. Both the 3.6 and the 6.2 LS3 and L99 are great engines. The powertrain is backed by a 5yr/100k mile warranty and everything else is backed by the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty. Enjoy without worries!

You know what's funny? Whenever I rent cars, I really hope I get something American instead of Japanese. There's always exciting new features in GM/Ford cars these days, and all the Japanese are the same blend of plastic and bland styling that they have been for the last 15 years.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
American cars are all i have ever owned. Actually American/Canadian..

I have never had all the perceived issues people like to spew towards US autos. I just traded in my 04 CTS with 90k on it and not one single thing ever broke besides a 3rd brake light burning out at 89k. Never went into the shop for a single repair other than 2 early minor recalls. Never even changed brake pads on it. I put well over 100k on every car i have ever owned besides the caddy and my wifes old odyssey with no major engine issues, zero tranny issues or any serious mechanical issues with every single American car i have ever owned since 1985.

Electrical things like power windows and such is about all i have ever had go wrong. My wife had a Honda Odyssey that we got rid of because everything on it had broken or was breaking by 60k miles. rear windows no longer opened/closed BOTH front windows broke off the tracks and needed new windows at $375 each, radio went and remote start crapped out all under 60k miles. She now has a 2010 Traverse with 12k miles and not a single issue has popped up.

Don't buy all the garbage people want to throw around about American cars. My wife surprised me with my SS on New Years Eve and i still can't stop smiling. Permagrin baby.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Camaro2SS View Post
Just don't get a BMW or Mercedes and you will be fine. My 2000 Mercedes S500 was the worst car I ever had and it cost $75k. Stay away from these pieces of crap. See photo below.
I agree. I see one these pos broken down the other day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
ketel0ne

Drives: Used to have 2010 SGM
16k miles including a 5500 mile road trip over Christmas, no issues.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
I have a Jeep Wrangler with close to 250,000... still kickin', and I think the worst thing I ever had to replace was a water pump.

I think a lot of this stigma comes from statistics that don't take into account the buyer. "Volvos are super safe, not like those Corvette death traps." Consider that a lot of Volvo drivers will not to be out testing the limits like a lot of Corvette owners would. Same for reliability, and I bet if you looked at all the variables (college educated, higher incomes, consumer conscious, etc) that you would find that the "personality" that would purchase a Toyota Camry might be more likely to be someone who is more likely to maintain their vehicle.

Proper care is more important than the country where it is made. There are plenty of great cars and trucks from many lands, and there are plenty that suck from all over as well.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote