Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #57
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
The naturally-aspirated engine, mostly. Plus it brings the best balance of track performance/everyday usability.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #58
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Taken from another thread in the ZL1 section. I must be getting old, but I've caught myself asking, "Do I really need all of that power"?
I often wonder if 455 hp is enough for the street?
I am old and I think at the Camaro's weight 455 HP may just be a little too much for the street, but not too fast to still be fun. Even at this power level the engine can overpower the traction control and easily put you in a tight spot you are not ready for.

Unless Chevy has a miracle up thier sleeve the new ZL1 will be borderline unusable on the street. If you can't use it 98% of the time, what's the point? I have heard Miata owners love thier cars so much because they can let it all hang out most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
For the 5th gen I considered the 1LE, ZL1, and Z/28.
For me the versatility of the ZL1 won me over.
1. Still fun at an autocross (maybe not as fun as the 1LE)
2. Still fun on the track (not as fun as the Z/28 though)
3. Fun on the drag strip.
4. Best daily driver of the bunch (minus fuel economy).
I owned three 5th gens, an LS3 SS, a 1LE, and a ZL1. Now I have a M6 '16 SS. My favorite 5th gen to drive was the 1LE with boltons. My favorite 5th to own was the ZL1. It just looks so Bad-A$$ and was a nice driver with the mag ride. But the gas milege was horrible.

As far as speed goes these three are all equal:

Bolton 1LE = stock M6 ZL1 = stock M6 '16 SS. All three of these cars ran the 1/4 within a tenth of each other with the 1LE being the fastest by a tenth.

And I also added twin turbos to my 1LE and took it to a mild for turbos 625+ RWHP @ 10pounds. That car, even running @ 6 pounds was a handful on the street. Fun at first, but then a bit tiring. I liked my 1LE as a bolton car better.

I really wanted to try a '16 Camaro and GM gave me a golden opportunity and I jumped on it. I do love it, it is a big step forward as a car and it handles at least as good as my 1LE and the 1LE had much better tires.

But Knowing what I know now I think I would like owning a bolton 5th gen 1LE just about as much and have saved myself a ton of $$ in the bargain.

So to answer the OPs original question I would take the 1LE over the new ZL1 just as a just as fun car to own at a more reasonable price. But of course the ZL1 is more of a performance status symbol.

But to take that question even further, why would you want a 1LE if you are not planning to track your car? The standard SS has all the luxury options you want if you must have them and is the same basic performance car as the '17 1LE. It seems to me except for the nebulous advantage of an electronic diff, you can easily upgrade your SS to 1LE handling specs. That diff is wasted on the street and is something else to break if you intend to keep your car past the warranty.

Interesting thread.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #59
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I am old and I think at the Camaro's weight 455 HP may just be a little too much for the street, but not too fast to still be fun. Even at this power level the engine can overpower the traction control and easily put you in a tight spot you are not ready for.

Unless Chevy has a miracle up thier sleeve the new ZL1 will be borderline unusable on the street. If you can't use it 98% of the time, what's the point? I have heard Miata owners love thier cars so much because they can let it all hang out most of the time.

I owned three 5th gens, an LS3 SS, a 1LE, and a ZL1. Now I have a M6 '16 SS. My favorite 5th gen to drive was the 1LE with boltons. My favorite 5th to own was the ZL1. It just looks so Bad-A$$ and was a nice driver with the mag ride. But the gas milege was horrible.

As far as speed goes these three are all equal:

Bolton 1LE = stock M6 ZL1 = stock M6 '16 SS. All three of these cars ran the 1/4 within a tenth of each other with the 1LE being the fastest by a tenth.

And I also added twin turbos to my 1LE and took it to a mild for turbos 625+ RWHP @ 10pounds. That car, even running @ 6 pounds was a handful on the street. Fun at first, but then a bit tiring. I liked my 1LE as a bolton car better.

I really wanted to try a '16 Camaro and GM gave me a golden opportunity and I jumped on it. I do love it, it is a big step forward as a car and it handles at least as good as my 1LE and the 1LE had much better tires.

But Knowing what I know now I think I would like owning a bolton 5th gen 1LE just about as much and have saved myself a ton of $$ in the bargain.

So to answer the OPs original question I would take the 1LE over the new ZL1 just as a just as fun car to own at a more reasonable price. But of course the ZL1 is more of a performance status symbol.

But to take that question even further, why would you want a 1LE if you are not planning to track your car? The standard SS has all the luxury options you want if you must have them and is the same basic performance car as the '17 1LE. It seems to me except for the nebulous advantage of an electronic diff, you can easily upgrade your SS to 1LE handling specs. That diff is wasted on the street and is something else to break if you intend to keep your car past the warranty.

Interesting thread.
Thanks for your insight it was very helpful.

There will be certain options like Recaro seats and bigger tires and wheels that won't be options on a 2SS. Even if they could be changed out with aftermarket parts, it would be more expensive as history has proven.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #60
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
LT4 is no joke, I am dying to see the reviews and maybe even have a chance of driving one before I purchase one just to see how well it actually puts down the power to the wheels because C7 Zo6 = spin machine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd unless you have the z07 package but then you need new tires every 4k miles lol. Don't get me wrong though, Zo6 will still hook up but it will always spin for a second or two which isn't good for competitive purposes.
Comments like this make me wonder if the LT4 is too much for the street? Anybody remember the crossram 2 X 4 manifold for the 1st gen Camaro Z28?
Old 05-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #61
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Quote:
Comments like this make me wonder if the LT4 is too much for the street? Anybody remember the crossram 2 X 4 manifold for the 1st gen Camaro Z28?
Yes the LT4 is a lot for the street, but too much? Guess that depends on the driver and how mature they are. I'm actually surprised at how well the z07 hooks up. I was expecting the tires to just spin like crazy and while they did spin in 1st some and in 2nd a tiny bit (in the A8). It eventually grabbed and took off. I haven't driven the Z06 without the Z07 so I can't comment on that. I would be interested in some feedback on it though if someone else has driven the both of em.
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #62
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanky View Post
Yes the LT4 is a lot for the street, but too much? Guess that depends on the driver and how mature they are. I'm actually surprised at how well the z07 hooks up. I was expecting the tires to just spin like crazy and while they did spin in 1st some and in 2nd a tiny bit (in the A8). It eventually grabbed and took off. I haven't driven the Z06 without the Z07 so I can't comment on that. I would be interested in some feedback on it though if someone else has driven the both of em.
I have a couple of buddies who own C7 Z06, one has the Z07 package. I was going to talk to them about it.

The horsepower level of the LT4 is about what my supercharged LS1 produces. But the torque is about 80 ft lbs less and comes on gradually (centrifugal S/C). SO maybe I do "want" this much power. I've just always had a practical side. My first car was a Camaro. I was looking for a 2nd gen Camaro or Firebird. Then I saw a very clean '75 Camaro (weakest V8 since the 50s). It made so much practical sense that I bought it and regretted it in the long run.

I guess the million dollar question is not if the LT4 is unreasonable for the street, but unusable?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #63
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
I guess the million dollar question is not if the LT4 is unreasonable for the street, but unusable?

It is not so much unusable as questionable. You really do not need 640+ HP to move your car down the road. There are cars with less than a 100 HP that move the car at highway speeds. 60MPH in a Vega is the same speed as 60MPH in a ZL1. However, getting both cars to 60 is a whole different dimension. Do you really NEED 640+HP..... No. But do you like having 640+HP readily available at your disposal? Unquestionably, yes. I love the whine the S/C makes when it comes on strong but you have to be looking around because you know it is going to draw attention. When that S/C starts to whine loudly, you are exceeding the speed limit or are about to unless you are at a drag strip or track.

Obviously you cannot drive around using the full potential of the car all the time because something or someone is going to bring your fun to an abrupt halt. Most of the time during normal driving you will not be using anywhere near the total horsepower that the car has. The same problem with almost every other car on the road in the performance segment. Yet very few of us would give up our high performance machines for a Vega or SmartCar. Or a Yaris to get 50+ MPG.

So the ZL1 is just as questionable or as "unreasonable" as most performance cars on the road but does a better job in almost all cases. So... the bottom line is: buy it, drive it, have fun in it and bring something to help with the sore mouth muscles you are going to have from smiling all the time in it. Especially when you suck the paint off that Yaris as you blow by at Warp 9. Of course assuming that the speed limit is Warp 10.

Last edited by OldJedi; 05-25-2016 at 03:45 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #64
aestil

Drives: White
Quote:
I have a couple of buddies who own C7 Z06, one has the Z07 package. I was going to talk to them about it.

The horsepower level of the LT4 is about what my supercharged LS1 produces. But the torque is about 80 ft lbs less and comes on gradually (centrifugal S/C). SO maybe I do "want" this much power. I've just always had a practical side. My first car was a Camaro. I was looking for a 2nd gen Camaro or Firebird. Then I saw a very clean '75 Camaro (weakest V8 since the 50s). It made so much practical sense that I bought it and regretted it in the long run.

The vette has wider rears as well, but less weight, so not sure how that works out. But honestly, yeah, the LT4 is absurd amounts of power for a 'street' car.

The LT1 is illegal in second gear and about 5 or 6 seconds of acceleration.

The ZL1 is straight up insane. I'm sure it will be lots of fun on a track, but i imagine you'll NEVER use that on normal roads.
aestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #65
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestil View Post
The vette has wider rears as well, but less weight, so not sure how that works out. But honestly, yeah, the LT4 is absurd amounts of power for a 'street' car.

The LT1 is illegal in second gear and about 5 or 6 seconds of acceleration.

The ZL1 is straight up insane. I'm sure it will be lots of fun on a track, but i imagine you'll NEVER use that on normal roads.
I didn't supercharge my Corvette coupe for nothing (which will factor a lot in my decision).

A lot of my friends have a very heavy right foot.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #66
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
It is not so much unusable as questionable. You really do not need 640+ HP to move your car down the road. There are cars with less than a 100 HP that move the car at highway speeds. 60MPH in a Vega is the same speed as 60MPH in a ZL1. However, getting both cars to 60 is a whole different dimension. Do you really NEED 640+HP..... No. But do you like having 640+HP readily available at your disposal? Unquestionably, yes. I love the whine the S/C makes when it comes on strong but you have to be looking around because you know it is going to draw attention. When that S/C starts to whine loudly, you are exceeding the speed limit or are about to unless you are at a drag strip or track.

Obviously you cannot drive around using the full potential of the car all the time because something or someone is going to bring your fun to an abrupt halt. Most of the time during normal driving you will not be using anywhere near the total horsepower that the car has. The same problem with almost every other car on the road in the performance segment. Yet very few of us would give up our high performance machines for a Vega or SmartCar. Or a Yaris to get 50+ MPG.

So the ZL1 is just as questionable or as "unreasonable" as most performance cars on the road but does a better job in almost all cases. So... the bottom line is: buy it, drive it, have fun in it and bring something to help with the sore mouth muscles you are going to have from smiling all the time in it. Especially when you suck the paint off that Yaris as you blow by at Warp 9. Of course assuming that the speed limit is Warp 10.
I guess what I am wondering if the LT4 is going to spin the tires all day long what is the point?

I have a friend who has owned about 13 corvettes, including a 67 427 purchased new. He decided to floor it once and it was as if nothing happened, the OEM tires were just spun in place. Useless, maybe, yet I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I had the chance.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #67
aestil

Drives: White
Quote:
I didn't supercharge my Corvette coupe for nothing (which will factor a lot in my decision).

A lot of my friends have a very heavy right foot.
It just is basically going to be illegal and likely quite dangerous on public roads to put anything close to full throttle past 2nd gear in an ZL1. Yeah, you might get a lot of use out of it, most likely though, dangerously and at speeds not legally allowed.
aestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #68
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
I guess what I am wondering if the LT4 is going to spin the tires all day long what is the point?

I have a friend who has owned about 13 corvettes, including a 67 427 purchased new. He decided to floor it once and it was as if nothing happened, the OEM tires were just spun in place. Useless, maybe, yet I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I had the chance.
If you just rev it up and dump the clutch, yeah that will most likely happen. I also had a 67 - 427 Corvette and it did not take much to put the bias-ply tires up in smoke. With the launch controls on the new cars there is much less tire spin but it still does not take very long to reach the speed limit.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #69
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Quote:

I think I see what you are getting at. A short answer is no. Having driven the z07 more and more and doing several launches... you of course get some wheelspin, but it hooks up insanely good in my opinion and you're getting it and breaking the "speed limit" very very quickly. I haven't gotten to track it yet, but I sure do want to and think it'll be worth every penny once you get on a track where you can really open it up. Like the other guy said traction control has come such a long way it's really really impressive.

The question I ask myself too is.. Do I need a ZL1 over a 1LE or a 2SS? Nope. Do I want it? You bet your ass I do. My wife doesn't understand it either keeps saying I don't need 650 horsepower, but that isn't going to stop me from cutting a check on it. The price is what I am waiting to see, because honestly there are some other cars that peak my interest for the price I am wanting or willing to pay. Guess we'll see.
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #70
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I like the 1LE blade spoiler and wheels better then what ZL1 has to offer
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote