Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Running in the heat "ain't nuttin' but a thang..." As the weather warms, I continue my regular, twice- weekly/ four- mile runs. No lie, running in 100+ degree weather is a little more difficult than at 65 degrees, but one gets used to it... acclimates. When I was younger, and not in good shape, any temps over 80 or so made me a worthless slug... I couldn't even find the energy to operate the remote control for the TV. But now, with regular running in some relatively high temps, heat doesn't bother me a bit. I can work, hike, or run in high temps with no difficulty, while others around me whine and cry and complain. Heat for me? Bring it on!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Running in the heat "ain't nuttin' but a thang..." As the weather warms, I continue my regular, twice- weekly/ four- mile runs. No lie, running in 100+ degree weather is a little more difficult than at 65 degrees, but one gets used to it... acclimates. When I was younger, and not in good shape, any temps over 80 or so made me a worthless slug... I couldn't even find the energy to operate the remote control for the TV. But now, with regular running in some relatively high temps, heat doesn't bother me a bit. I can work, hike, or run in high temps with no difficulty, while others around me whine and cry and complain. Heat for me? Bring it on!
I don't know how you do it. I ran 1 mile outside this week when it was 108 and I thought I was going to pass out. Then I went inside and ran another 3 and it was much easier to breathe. I feel with the dry air it makes it harder to breathe.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #17
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel25 View Post
I don't know how you do it. I ran 1 mile outside this week when it was 108 and I thought I was going to pass out. Then I went inside and ran another 3 and it was much easier to breathe. I feel with the dry air it makes it harder to breathe.
Different climates can effect that too. I run a lot in Kansas but at the end of last year I was in Virginia for some training and the air was a lot thicker than what I was used to so I had to relearn how to breath
Old 05-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel25 View Post
It's just a matter of slow acclimation, over the course of the changing seasons. Each year, I go from running in blizzards during the winter, to 100+ temps in the summer, but just sticking with a regular routine, the generally gradual change of the seasons always gives a gradual acclimation.

On the other hand, yes, hot air is thinner than cold air, but I don't know if this makes a noticeable differnce in how much oxygen each breath of a certain volume is... it might be a lot, might be a little... but, as with MOST things, you do get used to it!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #19
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
Different climates can effect that too. I run a lot in Kansas but at the end of last year I was in Virginia for some training and the air was a lot thicker than what I was used to so I had to relearn how to breath
Elevation makes a huge difference. Some of my running is done at around 5000 feet, other running at 1000... big difference between the two.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #20
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
Quote:
It's just a matter of slow acclimation, over the course of the changing seasons. Each year, I go from running in blizzards during the winter, to 100+ temps in the summer, but just sticking with a regular routine, the generally gradual change of the seasons always gives a gradual acclimation.

On the other hand, yes, hot air is thinner than cold air, but I don't know if this makes a noticeable differnce in how much oxygen each breath of a certain volume is... it might be a lot, might be a little... but, as with MOST things, you do get used to it!

If I can get pass this then I will be golden. My legs want to move but my lungs are like, "stop I am dying here" The air quality isn't the best here either, which I am not use too.

Also our seasons are as following: Hot, Hot as Hell, Hot, and Warm.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #21
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Quote:
Elevation makes a huge difference. Some of my running is done at around 5000 feet, other running at 1000... big difference between the two.
I'm at 2,000 feet. I am use to 300 feet.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #22
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
went out for a 2mi run this afternoon and at about 1.5 mi i still felt really good so i decided to just hit an impromptu 5k. I hadn't run 5k in a couple of years so i wasn't expecting much but when I was done, found myself with a new PR (at least since i've been keeping track of that sort of thing with the Nike+ app). Ran 3.22 mi in 25:26 for a pace of 7:54/mi. not bad!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #23
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
went out for a 2mi run this afternoon and at about 1.5 mi i still felt really good so i decided to just hit an impromptu 5k. I hadn't run 5k in a couple of years so i wasn't expecting much but when I was done, found myself with a new PR (at least since i've been keeping track of that sort of thing with the Nike+ app). Ran 3.22 mi in 25:26 for a pace of 7:54/mi. not bad!
Good Work
Old 05-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #24
Scalded Dog

Here's a tip for those wishing to improve their times: I was told this years ago, by an old guy who was a very accomplished runner. I've tried it, and it seems to be pretty sound and solid.

Often, runners reach a plateau... or, as you get up to my ripe old age of 46, you fall into a regular pace, and every mile takes a little longer, as the years go by. But, to stop the decline, or to get off of the plateau, the trick is to throw some sprints into a long run. Every now and then, during your run, give it all that you can for 50, 100, even 200 yards. Kick it back down to your comfortable shuffle after the burst if you must, but in the next couple of minutes, do it again. It will not only improve the time for THAT day's run, but will lead towards long- term improvement.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #25
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Running is a passion of mine and I am currently starting my training for an ultra marathon in October. It is a 50 mile trail marathon in the mountains of North Carolina. Pilot Mtn. to be exact. I ran the New River marathon on May 3rd in Boone ,NC this yr. I will run anywhere from 10 to 50 miles per week. It is the best stress reliever in the world lol...
Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #26
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Quote:
Here's a tip for those wishing to improve their times: I was told this years ago, by an old guy who was a very accomplished runner. I've tried it, and it seems to be pretty sound and solid.

Often, runners reach a plateau... or, as you get up to my ripe old age of 46, you fall into a regular pace, and every mile takes a little longer, as the years go by. But, to stop the decline, or to get off of the plateau, the trick is to throw some sprints into a long run. Every now and then, during your run, give it all that you can for 50, 100, even 200 yards. Kick it back down to your comfortable shuffle after the burst if you must, but in the next couple of minutes, do it again. It will not only improve the time for THAT day's run, but will lead towards long- term improvement.
Totally agree on this! I haven't been running that long but something I can suggest for an easy way to measure sprints. On main roads (sidewalks next to road) I will use the light posts as markers and sprint to the next one and do that every other one when I decide to throw some sprints into my run to change it up
Old 05-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #27
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
<<<<< If you ever see me Running look for a Tall Huge MAN wearing a HOODIE with A HUGE SNAKE and a HAND gun. Chasing me :( The only reason God gave us legs to run with is to escape death. LOL
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #28
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

C5 Runners

Did 6.5 miles in 1:27:42. Totally kicked my Personal Best's azz. Shaved off 17 minutes of my 6.5 distance in one week.

Last edited by jewel25; 05-30-2014 at 11:00 PM.
jewel25 is offline   Reply With Quote