Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Someone please simply a brake and rotor change for me.

So, as the title says...

I need some insight on what I need (parts-wise) and what to expect during a rotor and brake change on a '15 SS.

I have bookmarked R1 Concepts rotors, with Hawk pads.

I REFUSE to pay $1200 per axle for a Chevy dealer to install GM pads and rotors. Three thousand dollars for brakes and rotors is asinine, I will sell the car before I ever pay that much.

That being said, I do expect to pay ~$500 for 4 rotors, and probably another ~$200 for pads, then whatever labor costs. The shop near me is willing to do them, but he said "it can get expensive very fast".

Here's what I don't understand.

How is it not as straight forward as taking off the old rotors and brakes, and putting the new ones on? I heard some discussion about 'torque to yield' bolts, something about replacing them? I have no idea what they are, if I HAVE to replace them, if the dealer would replace them in a routine rotor/pad change, etc.

I want to go to this shop with the parts in hand and know what needs done so if they feed me misinformation, I can call them on it.

Also, BALLPARK what are we talking as far as Labor Hours for 1 axle to do rotor and pad?
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Just do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad View Post
So, as the title says...

I need some insight on what I need (parts-wise) and what to expect during a rotor and brake change on a '15 SS.

I REFUSE to pay $1200 per axle for a Chevy dealer to install GM pads and rotors. Three thousand dollars for brakes and rotors is asinine, I will sell the car before I ever pay that much.

That being said, I do expect to pay ~$500 for 4 rotors, and probably another ~$200 for pads, then whatever labor costs. The shop near me is willing to do them, but he said "it can get expensive very fast".

How is it not as straight forward as taking off the old rotors and brakes, and putting the new ones on? I heard some discussion about 'torque to yield' bolts, something about replacing them? I have no idea what they are, if I HAVE to replace them, if the dealer would replace them in a routine rotor/pad change, etc.

I want to go to this shop with the parts in hand and know what needs done so if they feed me misinformation, I can call them on it.

Also, BALLPARK what are we talking as far as Labor Hours for 1 axle to do rotor and pad?
Breaking bad,Go on YouTube,punch in 2015 Camaro SS front &/or rear break job and watch the video.You can bring a laptop out in the garage or driveway and do the job,stop or rewind when necessary. You'll feel good doing it yourself and so will your wallet! Have fun!!
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
BreakingBad
MAGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakmaker View Post
Breaking bad,Go on YouTube,punch in 2015 Camaro SS front &/or rear break job and watch the video.You can bring a laptop out in the garage or driveway and do the job,stop or rewind when necessary. You'll feel good doing it yourself and so will your wallet! Have fun!!
I don't think I have all the tools.

Not only that, where do I get new caliper bolts? I think that is what I was hearing.

So I would need: Rotors, Pads, Caliper bolts - and thats it (if i take it to a shop for install)?
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
Old 08-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
I don't think I have all the tools.

Not only that, where do I get new caliper bolts? I think that is what I was hearing.

So I would need: Rotors, Pads, Caliper bolts - and thats it (if i take it to a shop for install)?
You can get new bolts from the dealership or online. Might be faster online, and yes that is what you need when you take it to a shop. They may charge more since you're bringing the parts to them.

As far as tools you'll need (taken from DIY thread):

1/2" drive breaker bar with 3"-5" extension
1/2" drive ratchet
18mm and 22mm Socket
Torque Wrench
1/8" pin punch and hammer
T30 torx bit
wire coat hanger
floor jack and jack stand(s)
Optional - 2 C-clamps

thread for reference:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135887

Good luck if you give it a shot! Very easy car to work on.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Watch the video, do one side at a time. Take your time. You will be an expert by the time you finish the second one and wonder why anybody goes to a shop for this work. You will spend less for all the tools needed than the labor for someone else to do it once.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Yeah, there are you tube videos....most likely a diy on this site. Also, you can buy stock stuff pretty cheap via one of the GM parts outlets online. Even auto parts stores have pretty good parts at decent prices. You have to do some of the research yourself. If you are able to come here online and post...I'm pretty sure you are smart enough to use the net for research.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
BreakingBad
MAGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
You can get new bolts from the dealership or online. Might be faster online, and yes that is what you need when you take it to a shop. They may charge more since you're bringing the parts to them.

As far as tools you'll need (taken from DIY thread):

1/2" drive breaker bar with 3"-5" extension
1/2" drive ratchet
18mm and 22mm Socket
Torque Wrench
1/8" pin punch and hammer
T30 torx bit
wire coat hanger
floor jack and jack stand(s)
Optional - 2 C-clamps

thread for reference:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135887

Good luck if you give it a shot! Very easy car to work on.
Thanks! Going to save this. Where can I get the bolts online? Any links? Dealers around me price gouge.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #8
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
There wasn't one video on youtube where they replaced the caliper bolts and through reading a bunch of threads on brakes, some dealers replace them and some do not. These bolts are torque to yield bolts and not recommended to be re-used as they can fail and not hold as good or back out. Y

You may also need 3 x 1/2 inch course thread bolts to screw in the back side to break the rotor free of the hub.

Last edited by Northeast16SS; 09-06-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Klowny's Youtube video on the Camaro brake pad/rotor change is kind of cheesey, but very straight forward and lots of good info. Watch it and you can do the same.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #10
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Changing brakes!

Quote:
So, as the title says...

Sort of in the same boat as you, I have decided to upgrade my entire brakes system. I own a 2014 2LT/RS that has less than 10K on the clock. My very first Camaro in life (over 66 years) and have never applied a wrench to one. However, I have spent a fair number of evenings doing "advanced searches" throughout the DIY & brake sections. I have been able to print off "step by step directions, complete list of required tools as well as every single part number/source needed. I am still looking for the Brembo calipers/rotors, once I find a low mileage set I will without question tackle the job. I am going to change the master cylinder, dust shields, rotors, calipers, lines as well as all associated hardware.

Chevrolet actually makes a kit that has everything single part that I need, however, that kit it like 4K, can't begin to imagine what the install fee would be, I bet the entire bill would be near 8K.

After some extensive searches I have found I will be able to do this job for less than 2K and that is with upgrading the brake to caliper lines with stainless steel.

Having read the directions at least ten time I believe I could do the job right this minute without the directions. There is no question you "CAN" do it and will feel so good about the job when finished and know a lot more about your ride.

"Go for it"

Larry
Deputy347k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I did Goodrich SS lines, R1 Concepts slotted rotors and OEM pads, and bled the system in a few hours, taking my time. All are easy jobs, and there are plenty of model/year specific video instructions out there to help you. Tackle it.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #12
Northeast16SS

I don't see anything wrong with an upgrade, but the OEM brakes seem pretty damn good to me as-is. Other than swapping out to a pad set without the roller skates so I can carry a donut in the trunk, these cars stop very well and the brakes seem to wear well.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #13
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Are you replacing because of mileage or performance? I would just swap in new pads, these brakes are great as is
Old 09-08-2017, 08:18 AM   #14
Northeast16SS

Does GM make a pad kit for the SS Brembos that don't have the roller skates for the front, or do you have to go aftermarket for pads?