Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-18-2017, 01:19 AM   #15
chargerfan2

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE 2SS Summit White
I've had mine for a year and a half now and I still pull it up on my grass and wash it every Sunday morning unless it's raining. It's the first thing I do when I roll out of bed in the morning.

chargerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:51 AM   #16
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
guilty.i hate to drive a dirty car,have come home from a 13 hour work shift and washed and dried the car before bed.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:56 AM   #17
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Just can't drive my '10 SS dirty. I keep it detailed even after 8 years.
It still looks like new.
Attached Images

myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #18
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Your car looks real sharp. Washing frequently good idea to use safe techniques to lessen clear coat swirl marks. Your Rally matte stripes look perfect, they need special care to remain that way.
Wash my Camaro at least once a week before Cars And Coffee (lots in this area). Even clean the inside of the wheel barrels to get bits of tar off before it melts in to wheel. Avoid newly tarred roads if I can ... is that a fresh tar patch at end of your driveway? lol. Also clean inside the stainless quad exhaust tips, the door jamb area, hood and trunk lid undersides each week.
If ever a possibility of someone parking beside me, (e.g. garage at work even though assigned and no one usually parks on either side) I pop the trunk and these homemade jumbo pool noodle ding preventers go on, patent pending ;-)
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 09-18-2017 at 07:01 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #19
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I don't blame you. My cars do not get washed often because they are garaged, and its time intensive to give (all of them) the attention that I want to give them. They do get one heck of a detail annually.

But one poster got it right: I won't drive (any) of them dirty!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #20
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
I wish I had more time to wash my car, but mine is a daily driver. I garage it every night and don't drive it on the weekend. My son keeps us busy that when I think I have time to wash it, WRONG, time to go somewhere for his soccer. FAMILY LIFE struggles
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #21
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
It pays in the end. Here's me old Yuke -17 model years old and sits out in the elements!

Name:  IMG_1590.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  226.9 KB
Old 09-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #22
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
That front plate would drive me nuts
I learned to live with it.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #23
cblades

Drives: 2010 SS
I don't like the front plate but its the law and they WILL pull you over for it in Illinois. Friend of mine got a ticket in his truck for not having a front plate; he had a bull bar on his truck and it blocked the plate location.
cblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #24
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Typically, the Camaro gets washed three times per week, inside and out. Wax goes on every couple of months. Interior is spotless, vacuumed with every wash, everything wiped down, and it gets an air freshener in there pretty frequently.

I recently had a nine- day stretch in which I did not go a single day without a random compliment from a stranger regarding how nice the car looks. Some days in that stretch, I had more than one, at the gas station, in parking lots, at red lights. Even though Camaros are a little more common than a few years ago (when I couldn't go anywhere without getting love from all sides!), compliments are still fairly frequent... but nine days straight was pretty nice! And that's with nothing but reg'lar ol' Turtle Wax and old bath towels.

My record is four washes in one day... that was my truck, a few years ago. But, damnit, every time I washed it, clouds would blow back in, and it would rain on the rig. Yep... four times in ONE day. Pretty sure that logged me in to the official OCD rolls.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #25
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I don't blame you. My cars do not get washed often because they are garaged, and its time intensive to give (all of them) the attention that I want to give them. They do get one heck of a detail annually.

But one poster got it right: I won't drive (any) of them dirty!
Because they are garaged makes no sense. My SS is garaged but if I
drive it even in good weather for a few hours I consider it dirty. The
lower 3rd gets soot. road dirt,brake dust, exhaust dust, etc all over the
lower sides and rear body parts. Just let then sit outside for a few hours
and it's not the same. I know it's not just me that feels this way.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #26
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I am guilty as well. Mine is also black so the dust, dirt and bugs show like crazy. I've owned my car for a year and a half and I am already sick of washing it, even considering how much I love the car. I, like others commented, was always worried about driving on the highway and getting chips and keeping the car clean. So I just had xpel put on the front fascia and ceramic coated the car. It was not cheap, but IMO it was well worth the money. The car looks amazing and it stays cleaner and is easier and faster to clean. Most importantly, I now drive the car and don't even think about any of that stuff. I just drive it and enjoy it.
Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #27
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Life allows me one day to myself and that day is spent preparing for the coming week. So it car wash once a week for me.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #28
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
Very OCD here. Not a daily driver, so the under side is almost as clean as the top.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote