Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quick question about the carfax on my car?

Hey guys, so i bought my car used from carmax, before i bought it i used the built in vin checker on their website which said no accidents, i just purchased a carfax report and it has one accident, what does that mean for me if anything?

Two, my car is 7 years old, but i'm seeing that in 2009 that the carfax thing said the cars warranty for the drive train ran out and it has '100,000' miles, but the car only had like 2,100 miles then, and still doesn't have 100,000 miles?
Starfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Did they guarantee it was accident free? If so, you might have a legal leg to stand on.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
The warranty may have "ran out" because someone took it to a dealer with some excessive mod to it and Chevy canceled the warranty. Not sure if that happens but it's a theory. I would confront Carmax about the one accident, but you better be willing to return the car don't expect money back off the deal.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
Starfall
1bad6

I'm almost positive the car said it had no accidents via the description..
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Did they guarantee it was accident free? If so, you might have a legal leg to stand on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
The warranty may have "ran out" because someone took it to a dealer with some excessive mod to it and Chevy canceled the warranty. Not sure if that happens but it's a theory. I would confront Carmax about the one accident, but you better be willing to return the car don't expect money back off the deal.
Can you elaborate what you mean by don't expect money back off of the dealer please?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #5
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
As already stated, I would take the Carfax to Carmax and confront them with the discrepancy concerning them not listing/mentioning the accident. I would also ask them about the warranty.

As far as why GM may have cancelled the warranty, it could have been for any number of reasons. One reason that comes to mind is a previous owner had modified the car in such as way as to void it; they could then have returned it to stock to sell/trade-in.

Best of luck to you in resolving these issues.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Powertrain warranty for the 2010 was 5 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Either way your warranty is expired.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:53 AM   #7
Starfall
1bad6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Powertrain warranty for the 2010 was 5 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Either way your warranty is expired.

From what i'm thinking right now, i think the previous owner had something on the car that wasn't stock, seeing engine failure at 45k (right after i bought it) shouldn't have happend from my understanding
Old 09-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #8
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
Not all accidents get reported to all the vehicle history companies. It depends on what kind of accident and if there were any airbags deployed will diminish a cars value differently. For all we know of what you told us it could have been a door ding or a major multi airbag deploying wreck. It also depends on who fixed it - Joe Shmo part time body man or a factory authorized collision center.

So, the accident may or may not be a big deal.

Like others said at 7 years old your warranty is up no matter how many miles on it.

If you show your report to Carmax I am sure they will try to do you right - its their reputation at hand.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #9
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
More of the story to this car is split out on multiple threads
For example, the OP had CARMAX replace the motor under warranty with a rebuilt unit because it had catastrophic failure just after he bought it.
Seems like some of the details have been deleted and thread cleaned up. Was burning several quarts of oil in one day during 200 mile drive right after delivery and then engine failure?
From other thread ...
"My camaro blows up
Story time, bought this car from carmax in cleveland ohio, drove it 2-3 hours to pa, the dealership told me about all the inspections done, new oil full gas tank, on the way home it used 2-3 quarts of oil, i knew something was up from that point on, so right now it's been at chevy for 2 weeks waiting for a new engine to be put in
Last edited by Starfall; 09-11-2017 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Video
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
Carmax, i believe it was under the 30 day warranty so they're paying for everything, uploaded video of the car blowing up while driving
OP, are you still within the 30 day Warranty window? Did you already ask CARMAX to return your money at the start of this whole series of car issues? You have a car with a rebuilt motor, unknown accident damage, and no idea how well the replacement rebuilt motor and accident damage was repaired. Did you ever find out why at under 3,000 miles the original owner may have been flagged to end the drivetrain warranty? Was it ended and due to mods? I'd give up on this car if CARMAX would take it back.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 09-21-2017 at 07:09 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
Talladega

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
More of the story to this car is split out on multiple threads
For example, the OP had CARMAX replace the motor under warranty with a rebuilt unit because it had catastrophic failure just after he bought it.
Seems like some of the details have been deleted and thread cleaned up. Was burning several quarts of oil in one day during 200 mile drive right after delivery and then engine failure?
From other thread ...
"My camaro blows up
Story time, bought this car from carmax in cleveland ohio, drove it 2-3 hours to pa, the dealership told me about all the inspections done, new oil full gas tank, on the way home it used 2-3 quarts of oil, i knew something was up from that point on, so right now it's been at chevy for 2 weeks waiting for a new engine to be put in
Last edited by Starfall; 09-11-2017 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Video
"

OP, are you still within the 30 day Warranty window? Did you already ask CARMAX to return your money at the start of this whole series of car issues? You have a car with a rebuilt motor, unknown accident damage, and no idea how well the replacement rebuilt motor and accident damage was repaired. Did you ever find out why at under 3,000 miles the original owner may have been flagged to end the drivetrain warranty? Was it ended and due to mods? I'd give up on this car if CARMAX would take it back.
Good Eye Ron. I remember reading that thread but didn't but the two together.

OP it sounds like the previous owner abused the car beyond it's intended purpose, you should try any reason you can find to return the car and get your money back or it could be nothing but problems for you in the future.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #11
Talladega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
Can you elaborate what you mean by don't expect money back off of the dealer please?
Generally dealers have you on the hook and their only leverage is to offer a full return or nothing. Since they know you love the car or you wouldn't have bought it in the first place they will bank on you not wanting to give it up. It's a game of cat and mouse, they can save their reputation because they offered a full refund you just didn't take it, or they look like the good guys because you did return it and they did what's right. There is no incentive for them to give you money off the deal, with an all or nothing return they look good either way without losing money.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Carfax is part of the biggest scam going. Here's why. Rental car companies sell a significant number of their used fleet/rental vehicles to car dealerships. The dealerships resell them as part of their used inventory. Car rental companies are self-insured which means that when one of their cars is involved in an accident, most times there is no claim filed. They would pay for the repairs out of pocket. The only time a claim would be filed would be if the driver of the rental was not at fault and the rental company pursued the other vehicles insurance for damage. Dealerships will also advertise these cars as "One owner" even though they've been through the ringer. So cars that could have been in accidents will show as clean on a Carfax report. Unless you can verify the previous owner through service records at the dealer through the VIN#, do your homework on used cars. Check hood, trunk and door bolts to see if the paint has been broken.
Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #13
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Unfortunately, most of the vehicles I see at Carmax have had previous accident damage. I'm pretty good at spotting paint repair.

Yeah, there are some that are total creampuffs, but on a large number they get have paint/accident repair.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #14
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I bought my CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED Camaro from a Chevy dealer that said it was accident free as did the CarFax. I had a truck tire hit the front of my car and the body shop found previous crash damage. Dealer did nothing so I complained to Chevy customer service which handled it by having the sales manager call and yell at my wife. Yep, GREAT customer service. I love this car and plan on keeping it, but I'm NEVER buying another GM and I've been in a GM family my whole life. My dad just bought a new Buick 3 years ago. I've owned other brands, and GM has always been the worst dealer experience. I'll probably go Audi or another Porsche next time.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote