Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #57
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Thanks. I was pretty sure you knew I wasn't upset. It takes a lot more to rile me up. Although I haven't been shot at in quite awhile. I might be getting antsy. Sorry.
Lol it's all good brother.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #58
aCamaroGuy

Drives: 2014 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
To me the 5th Gen ZL-1 just screams bada$$! Whenever I see one I think Damn! oP its an awesome car whether auto or manual. I looked at one a few years back but a guy bought it while I was looking it over... snooze you lose I guess.

But I doubt I would have pulled the trigger in the end as I'm someone who needs time to mull a decision over and there simply wasn't enough to allow for that. I also had an emotional attachment to my SS in that it was something I wanted all of my life and it reflected a time in my life where everything had just changed- my dad had just past away the day before I picked it up & my marriage was going down the drain too.

So this car has a huge attachment for me because of the things that surrounded buying it & it may never leave my side hard to say....

Before you trade think of whether this car you have now means a lot to you or not. I say this because you have invested a fair bit of time, money & love from what I can tell from the pic.
Yea, your right. Doesn't hurt for me to have two Camaros in the garage.
aCamaroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #59
aCamaroGuy

Drives: 2014 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Hey thanks for the kind words brother. And yes I am preaching from behind the wheel of a V6 but let me just say the LGX is a beastly V6.

Having said that I would much rather be getting a beastly ZL1 like the op.

I've always loved the ZL1. I'm surprised they've dropped in price as much as they have. Unfortunately for us Ron there still over 40 G's in Canada.
Same, I was surprise it dropped on price. There's two ZL1 I'm looking at, the 2012 for 31k and 2013 for 35k.
aCamaroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #60
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr-camaro15 View Post
Don't get me wrong though, the 5th gen ZL1 is an incredible machine. If you have the money to burn, get it.

Lmaoo burn it baby !!burn it !!! I love your passion for the V6 @gringo !!!awesome !! makes me love my V6 even more .
Thanks, man! Somebody has to have some passion for the V6 around here. lol!

Last edited by gringo; 10-01-2017 at 10:47 PM.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #61
cblades

Drives: 2010 SS
When I bought my 2010 a month ago I was set on an SS with leather and a 6 speed. I would have never considered an auto as my car isn't a daily driver and I enjoy manual transmissions as I am also in the 40+ crowd(barely, I'm 40 lol)
I did't get a V6 as I wanted the growl and performance of a V8.
I didn't get a 2016 simply because I like the looks of the gen 5 better.
We all get what we want and what we can afford. I love all camaros and am so glad I bought one. Some people don't understand why us car guys do what we do; cars are a passion and provide us with a bond and commonality with others. Take me and my son.... He's 8. We spend time every weekend just the two of us(mom stays home lol) going to eat, hitting up gamestop, starbucks and cruising in the camaro. Its provided us with a lot of enjoyment. He will remember these days for the rest of his life long after I'm gone.
Get what you want and what you can afford and remember there are a lot of people not nearly as lucky as we all are. I must go stare at my car now.. lol
cblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #62
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Nicely said. I am 60 and my son is 20. I intend to keep the vert well maintained and hand it off to the boy some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #63
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblades View Post
When I bought my 2010 a month ago I was set on an SS with leather and a 6 speed. I would have never considered an auto as my car isn't a daily driver and I enjoy manual transmissions as I am also in the 40+ crowd(barely, I'm 40 lol)
I did't get a V6 as I wanted the growl and performance of a V8.
I didn't get a 2016 simply because I like the looks of the gen 5 better.
We all get what we want and what we can afford. I love all camaros and am so glad I bought one. Some people don't understand why us car guys do what we do; cars are a passion and provide us with a bond and commonality with others. Take me and my son.... He's 8. We spend time every weekend just the two of us(mom stays home lol) going to eat, hitting up gamestop, starbucks and cruising in the camaro. Its provided us with a lot of enjoyment. He will remember these days for the rest of his life long after I'm gone.
Get what you want and what you can afford and remember there are a lot of people not nearly as lucky as we all are. I must go stare at my car now.. lol

I did this w/ my daughter, but it was a motorcycle... a Goldwing. She had almost 15k miles on the back of it traveling all over Texas and Colorado. She remembers all those days riding for BBQ, TexMex, tacos, pie, and morning coffee.

Now, 10 years later, she gets to ride in the Camaro, and I'll teach her to drive a stick soon.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:19 AM   #64
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
To the OP - every few weeks I go through a similar situation in my head lol. I have a 2015 1SS with some mods for sound and performance. I love the car, but I also the idea of spending $1000-1500 every winter to do a project to make the car perform better, move a little faster, sound a little meaner etc. I'd be doing headers and cats this winter, then a cam with L99 to LS3 conversion, then maybe new gears and go to 3.91, then lowering springs etc. The list is endless and I could easily see myself spending $1500 a winter for the next 5 winters doing projects while the car is parked. HERE is the issue. I could just go out and purchase a 13 ZL1 with 20,000 miles for $33-35K. My payment would go up $100/month or so - but the ZL1 is a much better car than my modded SS would be for the same amount of money. The car is a better status symbol, better looking, faster, and built by GM instead of some kid and his dad (my situation). The ZL1 would likely be less prone to failures and would check all the boxes I wish my SS could check. So basically once a week I talk myself into selling my SS and waiting to find the perfect ZL1. But then I puss out and stick with what I've got....I know the ZL1 is the better choice and would make me the happiest, but its hard to give up what is convenient and what you already have.

I have no idea what I'm going to do in terms of keeping the SS or upgrading to ZL1, so hopefully you are more decisive than I am LOL. BTW sorry for the wall of text and the minor
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #65
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
To the OP - every few weeks I go through a similar situation in my head lol. I have a 2015 1SS with some mods for sound and performance. I love the car, but I also the idea of spending $1000-1500 every winter to do a project to make the car perform better, move a little faster, sound a little meaner etc. I'd be doing headers and cats this winter, then a cam with L99 to LS3 conversion, then maybe new gears and go to 3.91, then lowering springs etc. The list is endless and I could easily see myself spending $1500 a winter for the next 5 winters doing projects while the car is parked. HERE is the issue. I could just go out and purchase a 13 ZL1 with 20,000 miles for $33-35K. My payment would go up $100/month or so - but the ZL1 is a much better car than my modded SS would be for the same amount of money. The car is a better status symbol, better looking, faster, and built by GM instead of some kid and his dad (my situation). The ZL1 would likely be less prone to failures and would check all the boxes I wish my SS could check. So basically once a week I talk myself into selling my SS and waiting to find the perfect ZL1. But then I puss out and stick with what I've got....I know the ZL1 is the better choice and would make me the happiest, but its hard to give up what is convenient and what you already have.

I have no idea what I'm going to do in terms of keeping the SS or upgrading to ZL1, so hopefully you are more decisive than I am LOL. BTW sorry for the wall of text and the minor
If you are happy with your car, or bought it new, then keep the SS and modify it. There are many beat to hell ZL-1's out there waiting to be passed on as clean low mileage cars by shady dealers looking to make a dollar. I'm kicking myself for not passing on this car originally as I hated the dealer and sure as hell, a beautiful ZL-1 from a much better dealer showed up right after, but in the end I love mine and I look forward to the day I add the supercharger and get dissed as "just a SS" and no one realizes I'm making 600+hp.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #66
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post

Status symbol? I'd never buy a car just for the higher status symbol it represents. I buy it because I like it and I can afford it.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #67
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Status symbol? I'd never buy a car just for the higher status symbol it represents. I buy it because I like it and I can afford it.
When you're with a group of people that know cars, a ZL1 will turn more heads and get more "damn sweet ride" than an SS. Status symbol may not be the right word - but a ZL1 is definitely up a class from the SS is all I meant.

Id take a clean ZL1 at $35k over an SS with some mods all day. All I'm trying to say is if the used ZL1 and my SS with some projects done to it cost the same, I know which one I would prefer. That's the option I weigh in my head - are you better off not modding your car and instead using that money to trade in and buy up a class of car that's built that way from the factory
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #68
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
so uh, what kind of tires you have there? Holy tire letters!

jk but seriously if I could swing the deal I would be in a ZL1. Well I can swing a deal but I'm past the point of no return with my 2010 2SS/RS.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #69
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I bought what I could afford at the time. And I have zero regrets. My car is an animal, and I drive it like I stole it lol.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #70
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
ZL1 !!!!
Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote