Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
lkurek

Drives: 2015 CAMARO
EBC Brake Pads...Red vs Yellow

Thoughts? I'm looking for for better bite, mostly street....high speed highway, and preferably better rotor life and less dust. Yeah, I want it all....lol

Anyhow, I've run the red on my old cts-v on the rear, and was basically happy. Since they were in the rear, that's not a very good place to test effectiveness. I see EBC has yellow pads available as well, which they say dust more, but have better bite. Any opinions on either of these?

I've always been happy with the quality of these pads, which is why I lean this way, and not Hawk or or some other primary track pad. I'm in the middle of developing some high carbon stainless rotor rings...so I want something that goes easy on them

All opinions appreciated!
lkurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Better bite and less dust are incompatible goals. Better bite and go easy on the rotor rings are incompatible goals.

A you are developing high carbon stainless rotor rings I would think you understand what I am saying, so I must be missing something.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I have yellows on front and they stop me quick. Just be prepared for squealing
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
lkurek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Better bite and less dust are incompatible goals. Better bite and go easy on the rotor rings are incompatible goals.

A you are developing high carbon stainless rotor rings I would think you understand what I am saying, so I must be missing something.
I know.....completely incompatible goals. I was tired lastnight when I wrote that post

I guess my true question is how tough are the yellows on rotors vs stock or red, and same question on dusting. If they bite better than the reds without significantly worse rotor wear or dusting than stock pads.....thats a good data point. Of course, a true race pad dusts like there is no tomorrow....and eats rotors, as the high friction is what stops you.....and also wears out parts

I guess my other incompatible goal is a street worthy pad that improves braking like a heated up track pad. Upon further reflection, what I should REALLY be doing is running two sets of pads/rotors.....one for the street, and swithcing over when I run at the track.

So, any comments on the yellow/vs red pads for street use?

Thanks!!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
I have the EBC reds, love them!
They do dust, but less than stock, They have some bite, but less bite than stock.
-Bobby
Old 07-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
So... why would someone want brake pads that have less bite than stock? I am on the fence on buying new pads, and I could care less for ceramics, as they offer less stopping power than the stocks... I thought Red stuff was an upgrade, but less bite means a downgrade right? From what I have read on the forum as far as EBC is that the Blue Stuff will be the way to go, but the EBC chart states not for street use?
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #7
lkurek

I would avoid the blues for street use, as they really dont have as much bite when cold.....which, on the street, is how most of your braking is done. Cold (relatively) stops.

Im between the reds and yellow.....which Im pretty sure is just a matter of me wanting good braking, but less dust/rotor wear (red), or better braking but more dust/rotor wear (yelow). Ive never had reds on the front of any of my cars.....so I really have no point of comparison. Thanks for input.....

Oh, I recently upgraded my brakes on my Trailblazer (SUV) from Autozone Duralast Golds to EBC Greenstuff..... MAJOR difference in braking force. Only have a few hundred miles on the setup.....so not sure of the longevity, dusting, rotor wear, etc.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #8
lkurek

Well, decided Im going to run the reds for now.....since I at least have some history with them. If the performance is noticably worse than the stock pads, Im going to go with a set of yellows. Worst case....I drop $200 on pads I dont use. Ehhhh
Old 09-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkurek View Post
Well, decided Im going to run the reds for now.....since I at least have some history with them. If the performance is noticably worse than the stock pads, Im going to go with a set of yellows. Worst case....I drop $200 on pads I dont use. Ehhhh
So what was your opinion on the pads?
Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
So, how are those reds? Also considering red or yellow pads.

Thx!
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:41 AM   #11
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
The reds are good for day to day driving. There's brake dust but not really worst.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote