Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
bluebonn
Texas

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot LS3
Exclamation Something wrong 2015 SS throttle rattle noise

Every time I push the fuel pedal I hear a noise like a rattle. when I give it more throttle the noise vanishes unless i'm turning the wheel a little right for example going around a right curve I can hear it again. It seem to get a little louder when moving the steering right. I do not hear the noise with no throttle turning right or going around a right curve with no throttle

This is driving me crazy I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find what is causing this. It does not do it when I am going around a left turn at low throttle only right and straight.

Today under the car I noticed something that may not look right. Below is a picture does this look right ? I'm no mechanic but maybe I have an exhaust leak. I have NPP.

Does this look right or does it look like something is wrong with this connection
Attached Images

bluebonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
Aug

Drives: 2014 2SS MT, Convertible
I don't know about that connection in the pic, I can't check my exhaust at the moment, but I can tell you that the NPP has been known to rattle like that. Mine did, others have. I brought mine to the dealership for a rattle as you describe, they fixed it. I doin't know what they did.
Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:03 AM   #3
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
I think the connection looks OK, as the retaining tab is engaged properly over the nub. I had some maddening noises like you describe on my ride after installing new Borla Exhaust and BMR bracing, and could not find any interference's to the under body or heat shields. BUT - and a big BUT - I did find that the stupid heat shields were very likely making noises and would resonate or vibrate mostly at lower speeds. I found this by "pinging" them in different areas with my hand/finger, and some would make nasty "hollow can" noises. Solution was to bend them slightly and keep pinging and bending them until I didn't get the resonant ringing sound. Better solution would have been to discard them and replace with stick on thermal heat barrier like you see on some of the car show programs.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You can buy a reinforcement for the strengthening of the tunnel with a brace about 60-100$ that can help eliminate the chance for flex making the heat shields shake. But as you can see they are just metal on metal in his pic and not held down well, also others have complained form the hangers in the back on the exhaust also. Good Luck
Old 08-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
bluebonn
Texas

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot LS3
Appreciate it guys. Next time I get under the car I'll check the heat shields again
bluebonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
bd2014rs/ss

Drives: 2015 ss and 1980 z28
The resonators in my factory exhaust would rattle like that. Very slight and certaon times. Mainly light throttle. Wot wouldnt do it.. sounded almost like gravel in a can slighyy shaken
Old 08-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #7
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
OP, in the center of your picture there is a thin strap on the exhaust pipe that goes over a metal round alignment disk at the joint. The strap and/or disk have been known to rattle (or disk becomes loose), could check that to see if it is the cause of the rattle. Some just bend that strap/tab slightly to quite it down if it rattles
p.s. really like the interior color ... and very nice choice for exterior color as well ;-)
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I have a throttle related noise/rattle that sounds like it's under the hood or in the dash like a speedo cable or something. Drives me crazy. No warranty left. Need to turn up the radio now.
Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote