Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Gettin a little Sketchy

These lasted two full years on the rear of my 2014. And I mean full. Two auto-cross seasons, two winters (ran these daily in the greater NYC area), and of course spring/summer/fall.

If it wasn't for the wet, they had quite a lot of meat left as you can see by the depth windows on the right side of the tire. These would have been hella fun as slicks.

For those that care, have completely changed around my tire wheel setup. I was running BFG Comp-2 A/S' in the winter for a few seasons, but they sucked so bad I just parked them these past two winters as OEM F1 G2s were better when warmed up. And all feel was gone. I mean GONE. The Camaro definitely isn't winning any awards for front-end feedback, and the Comp-2s just made it SUV/Camry-like.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480593

So now I'm running Pilot Sport 4s for 1 season (non-autocross season) and Bridgestone RE71-R (THE autocross tire) for the other season (autocross season).

We'll see how this turns out.
Attached Images

Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I'm thinking about doing some auto X with my Z/28. I'm running the Michelin PS 4S 305-30-19. Not trying to be the fastest guy out there, just want some good LEGAL fun. I know your running the Bridgestones but have you tried the Michelin 4S on the auto X? Seems like you've got some experience at this so your opinion would be appreciated.
Attached Images

ariZona28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
Billy10mm

If you're not trying to be competitive, run what ya brung, it doesn't matter. Even if you are trying to be competitive, if you haven't auto-crossed, it's something of a decent learning curve learning to read the course as you drive and learn what's fast and what's not. So until you are approaching the cars/tires limits, don't bother with tires yet.

This is season 5 for me and we get both a lot of events, and a minimum of 8 runs per event (last season we averaged 10). So I've gotten a good amount of experience in a relatively short time. In my car, I'm faster than instructors who drive my car. So I'm at the point of running out of traction on F1 G2s and need to step up to the "good" tire that everyone runs.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
Billy10mm

Oh, and the Z/28 is an awesome auto-cross car. So is the 1LE, but the Z/28 is far better.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Comp TA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Oh, and the Z/28 is an awesome auto-cross car. So is the 1LE, but the Z/28 is far better.
Billy I run the BFG Comp -2 AS as my summer tires, don't have the car on the road in winter,245's Front & 315's rear ,handles great, very good traction.
I love those tires, had G-Max and these are by far better.I like the chevron tread pattern for the wet roads,but I'd never drive my Camaro in the snow,I do drive it in the summer,10 yrs old now 43K,Still in Love with this car!
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:31 AM   #6
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Thanks for the info. Checked out a recent autocross event in Phoenix area. I rode with a friend of mine in his V8 Miata. Wild stuff. Also rode with a fellow who drove a '12 ZL 1. Way cool. I questioned why the course workers left so many cones laying on their sides. It was explained to me those are "pointer" cones. I officially entered my learning curve anxious to hit the apex.
ariZona28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:45 AM   #7
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I did 3 autoxs one year in CAM-C. I ran my car exactly how I drove it to work. Michelin Pilot Super Sports at 35psi. I was actually still competitive (within .5s) with all the other CAM-C cars to include a GT350 on OEM tires, Track Pack S550 with lots of suspension upgrades and RE-71Rs. These were seasoned autocrossers.

The S550 I beat on my second time out when he was on whatever 200 treadwear Nittos.

The 1LE is an amazing car. With the 4S compared to the MPSS, when you really push the tire and are at the edge, you do lose some feel and feedback. That's my only complaint about the 4s