Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
stock tires

I don't see a lot of posts regarding peeps putting the stock PZeros back on their cars once the stock ones are worn out. I need new tires and the fronts are still good.....I don't see why I cant just buy 2 new rear PZeros. Is there something about them that I am missing? I thought they were good tires.

Please enlighten me !!
DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
The P Zero are good tires. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I think what you are seeing is, people buying all season tires because they drive year round. The pzero is a summer only tire. Hence, bad reviews because they don't work so good in rain or snow. I guess some don't understand the concept of "summer only." If you like em, buy em. I did.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by meSSohappy View Post
I don't see a lot of posts regarding peeps putting the stock PZeros back on their cars once the stock ones are worn out. I need new tires and the fronts are still good.....I don't see why I cant just buy 2 new rear PZeros. Is there something about them that I am missing? I thought they were good tires.

Please enlighten me !!
I know quite a few guys that did exactly you ask.....typically the P-Zero's will wear 2 to 1 (front to back's) so a lot of guys will buy that second set of P-Zero's for the back as their fronts are still plenty good. so go for it.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
Quote:

Please enlighten me !!
At 15,000 I replaced all 4 PZero's with BGF Comp 2's.
The PZeros were evenly worn, not quite to the wear bars, but no longer drove securely in rain - and we get a lot of rain here in Georgia!

As I drove away from the tire store with new BFG Comp 2's my car had a slightly numbed feel through the steering wheel but rode well. The tire tread also created a whine or whistle noise which began at approximately 35 mph and got louder as speed increased. I have a video of my car on a dyno and the tread whistle is really prominent.

Took my car to the drag strip with the Comp 2's installed and they wouldn't hook up, just sit and spin with Competition Mode traction control on. My best 60 was 2.64 and worst was 3.49, launching at 1,500 rpm. This was my first time ever on a drag strip...

The numbness was also present when driving mountain roads. Just a slight disconnected feel compared to the factory PZero's.

After 12,000 miles on the Comp 2's I went back to PZero's and my car felt great again! The Camaro is a heavy car and the stiff PZero sidewalls really work for me.

That said, many prefer tires other than the OEM Pirelli. For now I'm sticking with them until Michelin Super Sports are available in the OEM 20" size for our cars.

Last edited by sloSS; 04-15-2014 at 10:32 AM.
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
SSpartan117

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:

Please enlighten me !!
I had many issues with the Pzeroes and I am fully aware that they are a Summer tire. In fact, I replaced them with a Summer tire. My experience with them was that they wore unevenly, were very difficult to balance, were terrible in a slight drizzle, and had very loud tire roar at highway speeds. I read an article entitled Monsters of Grip in Car and driver which tested performance tires and the Pzeroes came in 9th out of 9. Needless to say I switched them with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW and could not be happier! And those tires were only 5th in the test, like a poster above me said, I am looking forward to the Michelin PSS in our sizes sometime soon
SSpartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
WndWarrior

Drives: 2013 1LT/RS
I have over 10K miles on mine. I think they're great tires. If you liked them, and only need two, save some money buying just two..
Continental tires are suppose to be very good too. You could check Tire Rack for lots more info also.
My two cents...
WndWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I run General GMax-AS on mine now because I live in the mid-west and drive in all conditions except >2 inches of snow. They are louder and softer in the curves than PZeros but much, much more stable in rain and temps under 30 degrees. You are in total command in 2 inches of powder. I like this tire for year round driving in Missouri!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Just bought another set of P-Zero Nero's AS for my 19" OEM rims. I got around 22,000-25,000 miles out of the original ones, I don't have an exact number because I also have winter tires, and I didn't keep track of how many miles I've been driving on each set.

Having said that, I am quite happy with P-zeros. For the price they really couldn't be beat.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #9
meSSohappy

Thanks for all the input guys. I didn't have a problem with them and I will buy 2 for the back. Those of you that replaced them, did you buy them form the dealer or are they readily available? I will start searching for them next week.

Thanks again !!
DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I got mine from www.tirerack.com

For my tires I got all 4 for $750, shipping was $100 of that. However I will get $60 back with mail in rebate since I bought 4. Grand total $690. Dealership wanted $1,050 for the same tires. Big can of nope right there. Shop around!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #11
meSSohappy

Looks like I can get them at discount tire direct.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #12
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
And if you shop around, there are some good prices on used. I bought 2 used 275/40 with 6/32 tread (new is 10/32) for like $250 (free shipping). Tire Rack has great prices, but there is shipping and then you have to have em mounted and balanced. A lot of the tire shops, like Discount Tire, will mount, balance and valve stem for about the same as ordering + shipping.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote