Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #29
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteven View Post
Looks like a new zl1 bumper to me 😁
I'm debating on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
What kind of brakes are you using? I see they are painted. Have you upgraded to the Brembos? My 2LT stops much better/shorter with the Brembos.

Please post pics looking down at the front corner with the hood open. Also let us know if the hood opens properly or if it is bent.

I replaced a fender myself (dented on pole in garage). It was pretty straight forward. The reason I mention this is with insurance money (AND ONLY IF THERE IS NO FRAME DAMAGE), you could buy the parts yourself and end up with a ZL1 front end, etc. for the same money you'll spend on letting an auto body shop do it.
No, I have the stock V6 brakes, they are just painted red. The hood doesn't shut, I am not sure if it is because of the hood or because of the bumper/fenders. But, that is what I am debating on doing a ZL1 front end, or a SS front end with ports, I can't decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT RS View Post
I can tell by the pics. If you had got the inspection last month like you were supposed to it probably wouldn't have happened. Shame on you.

I'm betting if your car had a 100K on it, that still wouldn't total it. And as you said, I hope (I think) a 30mph impact isn't going to total my car.

btw, her car IS out of inspection, but the brakes is in jest if in doubt.

on edit: if you don't take it to the dealer, might check with Herb's off 635 in Garland
I am actually glad you pointed that out, I totally forgot that it was out of inspection....I need to get that checked out.

Thanks everyone for the comments! I am happy that no one was hurt and that (hopefully) my car will be good as new in a few weeks. I normally wouldn't have any worries of having my car totaled in a wreck like this, because it doesn't seem too bad- but my sister just got in a car accident almost identical to mine- she wrecked her 2010 Nissan and it was totaled.

Thanks again, and I'll update the thread once I hear back from the shop.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #30
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
Forum police ban this guy!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phail View Post
1000 times this.

I've been re-ended in my camaro 2 times because of retards that have no idea what a safe distance is.

OP - Mark a place on the road as the car infront of you passes it (like a street sign, etc), if you can't count to 3 one thousand before you pass that same point, you are not driving at a safe follow distance.
Really?! You have to resort to name calling and offending those on this website that are asking for advice and support?! There is no place for you in this forum you are embarrassing.
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #31
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
Everyone, I understand that from the looks of it I wasn't a safe distance- and obviously because I hit the guy in front of me it wasn't as safe as it should have been-because a safe distance, regardless of how far that distance is, would have allowed me time to stop- but I was far from tailgating. I've never had any sort of accident before in my life- I am not saying that I am a perfect driver (obviously I am not) but I know what a safe distance is, and though it would have been beneficial if I was farther away, I was not in anyway tailgating. I was driving on a major highway, going 75 miles per hour, and I hit the guy going probably 20-30mph- the ONLY reason I was able to reduce my speed by 45 miles per hour was because I was far enough away that allowed me time to slow down before impact, otherwise the damage would have been far worse, because a 20-30mph hit is nothing compared to a 75mph hit.

Honestly though, this "safe-distance" argument is irrelevant because regardless I am at fault- people make mistakes, and I made one today. 1 mistake in my entire driving career isn't the end of the world. I really just wanted opinions on my car while I wait to hear back from the repair shop on Monday.
Thanks for taking the high road. It is sad that you come out to this forum to ask for advice on your beautiful car and instead have the jury trying to hang you for what they feel went wrong. We are not all that way trust me! Your car will be fixed just take some time to be sure you pick the right body shop! I had an accident earlier this year. Yes I bumped a car in front of me. No damage to his car and scuffed up my bumper a bit. Still decided to replace the fascia because I didn't want a repair and I had license plate bracket holes that now are gone! First accident for me and I drive over 30,000 miles a year. A car blew through a red light causing to cars to pull into my turn lane and subsequently slam on their brakes. I didn't have any time to react. Police found none of us at fault and the car that blew the light was long gone. For those of you that think you know it all, any worthless advice or comments you want to throw my way?!
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #32
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Op you have a very nice car and at the end of the day it's material and stuff will haplen (I am no exception). She is very far from totaled out, find a reputable body shop and let them work their magic. Glad you are ok, your baby will be ok after surgery too soon enough.

Do not play into entertaining the judgement from all the perfect drivers, and saints on here who never ever make a mistake, nor exercise less than perfect judgement. Use this as an advantage to upgrade to a ZL1 bumper cover (as mentioned) and move forward. S**t happens and life goes on.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #33
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I'm not going to get into the safe distance discussion because that's one of those discussions you can't win. I'm glad you're okay, and IMHO, I don't think it's totaled, but it must suck! Good luck.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:04 AM   #34
purv24

Drives: Black 2ss
Im pretty sure in every state if you rear end someone its YOUR fault.

On the same token... an officer can write you a distracted driving ticket for any accident. Because obviously, if you weren't distracted, you wouldn't have wrecked.

Its also like having an accident in ANY inclement weather. If the WEATHER ever causes you to wreck, you weren't driving at a safe speed for conditions.

But besides all the debate.

Your Camaro DOES NOT look totaled. Im glad you were able to avoid hitting harder and avoid more damage. Glad you are okay, and you should be able to be repaired and get back on the road.
purv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #35
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I was taught the "2 second rule" (two one thousand, if you prefer). Regardless of how much room you keep between you and the car ahead, you have to be paying attention. What pisses me off is that most drivers won't allow you to keep a safe distance - they have to squeeze in even the smallest of openings. Assholes!
I agree Palmer, it is like every day some jack a$$ cuts my of and tries to wack into my car. People need to learn how to drive.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote