Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #15
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
What DrDj said. You have to hold down both buttons for >7 seconds. I have a '13 vert and it will roast the tires off. I think you're just putting it in competition mode which enables launch control and no lift shift.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #16
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
The fuse pull is really unnecessary on the ZL1. The E38 ECU in the SS has issues going back to the high octane table after it starts reading from the low octane table. The fuse pull resets the ECU and by default forces it to read again from the high octane table. The E67 ECU in the ZL1 doesn't have this problem.

Yes, the PTM modes are missing on the vert. With the manual transmission, you get tour, sport and launch control. Tour is great for highway driving but can make the car feel a little sluggish on the street. Sport mode seems to add a little more pep but gives a slightly harsher ride depending on road conditions. I generally spend most of the time driving in sport mode.

Another thing to consider is the convertible weighs about 250 lbs more than the Zl1 coupe so the weight difference between it and your Z06 is even more significant.

If this is your first forced induction vehicle, you'll quickly discover how sensitive these vehicles are to weather conditions. The stock tune starts to pull timing once intake air temps reach 104 degrees and up. Temps that are easily achieved on a hot, humid day in stop and go traffic. You'll find that the car really perks up once the weather starts to cool down. My car seems to give the best performance when outdoor temps are in the 50-70 degree range.

The convertible does lack some of the features of the coupe, but in my opinion the lack of features isn't enough to offset the pure joy of driving a 580 hp car on a summer evening with the top down and the radio blasting away your favorite tunes.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #17
Hocky

Drives: Cts-v2
I would like to hook first gear. Or 2nd. Or 3rd.
Hocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #18
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Yeah, you want some excitement? Take it out on a frosty 35 degree Michigan morning and try to roast the F1s

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #19
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Ok thanks for the information so far. I'll check the intercooler fluid level but I doubt it's low as the car is basically brand new (3000 miles).

I'll try the fuse thing just for shits and giggles and to remove another variable.

Don't worry so much about turning the TC completely off, that was just an example to give you guys that the car WON'T spin the wheels like it should. One of my C6 Z06s is stock, with a 335 on the rear and 505HP it will shred the tires with TC on in first or second gear under WOT. My ZL1 with a narrower tire and higher HP will not budge the tire, period. But other than that, it's downright slow everywhere. Btw, I thought I'd try launch control but when I put it in Comp mode and clutch the the floor and floored the gas like you're supposed to, it didn't hold at ~4000ish like it's supposed to, it just redlined (eeeek, sorry girl). Not sure what was wrong with that either.

I'm going to have it taken to a dyno shop and have them see what it puts down and then I'm going to have them tune it with either leaving the car stock or pulley an bolt-ons. See what happens there.

PLEASE keep the info coming!
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #20
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
Here's a video I made showing the difference with nannies on and off. It is very hard to break it loose with the nannies on. And mind you, I was not getting into fully when I made the video.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #21
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
That fuse pull looks interesting, I"m just a little worried, anybody every tried it in this thread on an LSA?
You don't really have to do the "fuse pull" with the newer cars. The computer will relearn the fuel table when you fill the car up with premium.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #22
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Thanks and nice car Tony
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #23
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
Quote:
Thanks and nice car Tony
I appreciate it. A friend has a 2016 Z06 and it is a beast. But there is something about the ZL1 that appeals to me. It turns a lot of heads. I dont really race much but knowing I have enough power to take on most street cars is nice.
Having said that, I have to admit I have been watching the prices of low mileage Z06s. That is the only car I would trade for at the moment.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #24
RJ111

Drives: 2015 ZL1
You are spoiled, I thought the ZL1 was slow too. But, a few mods wake it up very nice.

Rotofab Cai,PCM cc,Kooks Headers,Cats delete,MF X pipe, ZLWin cam,upper/lower, Lingenfelter hx,715 rwhp,646 rwtq, BMR 1.25 Springs, Varro VD01 Wheels,
RJ111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #25
14ZL1M6

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Coupe A6 & 2002 ZO6
Quote:
Ok thanks for the information so far. I'll check the intercooler fluid level but I doubt it's low as the car is basically brand new (3000 miles).

I'll try the fuse thing just for shits and giggles and to remove another variable.

Don't worry so much about turning the TC completely off, that was just an example to give you guys that the car WON'T spin the wheels like it should. One of my C6 Z06s is stock, with a 335 on the rear and 505HP it will shred the tires with TC on in first or second gear under WOT. My ZL1 with a narrower tire and higher HP will not budge the tire, period. But other than that, it's downright slow everywhere. Btw, I thought I'd try launch control but when I put it in Comp mode and clutch the the floor and floored the gas like you're supposed to, it didn't hold at ~4000ish like it's supposed to, it just redlined (eeeek, sorry girl). Not sure what was wrong with that either.

I'm going to have it taken to a dyno shop and have them see what it puts down and then I'm going to have them tune it with either leaving the car stock or pulley an bolt-ons. See what happens there.

PLEASE keep the info coming!
The manual transmission convertibles do not have launch control and no-lift shift either. Thats why you hit the rev limiter. You will have to launch the car the old fashioned way....all skill! ;-)
ATI Balancer w/9.55 (22.5%) lower pulley, FIC1000 Injectors, Stainless Works 2" headers, Stainless Works Retro Cat-Back, V-Max Ported TB, Roto-Fab w/Big Gulp, Elite 2nd Gen Catch Can, Jannetty Tuned. 581 rwhp
14ZL1M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #26
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Either its real hot and the tires are sticking, or somethings wrong. With the TC off it should smoke them until 3rd and even walk around a bit when you hit 3rd. The car is deceptive and not dramatic building speed.
The good news if it check out ok and it is still slow these cars absolutely love mods, and are tough as hell
Here is a link for your enjoyment.

https://youtu.be/32pAR_hn1jc
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #27
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
JRE 75 or 125 RWHP...problem solved.

/end thread.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #28
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Wow, boy have I been away too long... There is some misinformation in this thread but its not too bad. First, yes do the fuse pull, it is well documented on this site in the first couple years when it came out where doing so is beneficial even for the ZL1. Hell I had to do it myself. Second, As you know, the ZL1 Convertible does not have the 5 PTM modes that the ZL1 Coupe has. Instead the ZL1 Convertible has a Competitive Driving Mode which allows full engine power while the StabiliTrak system helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake application. In Competitive Driving Mode TCS is off and Launch Control is available. Competitive Driving Mode is selected by pressing th TCS/StabiliTrak button quickly two times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
When the TCS/StabiliTrak button is pressed quickly two times, Competitive Driving Mode is selected, which is indicated by the Traction Control Off and StabiliTrack Off lights being illuminated on the dash with the StabiliTrak Performance Mode message being displayed on the DIC. In this mode full engine power is available while the StabiliTrak system helps maintain vehicle directional control by selective brake application, but TCS is off and Launch Control is available.

When the TCS/StabiliTrak button is pressed and held until the Traction Control Off light and StabiliTrak Off light are illuminated on the dash (no StabiliTrak message), TCS and StabiliTrak are turned off (i.e., all the "nannies" are completely off).
When you turn everything off, you turn off launch control. This is probably what your wanting anyways, gonna bold this part...

(These guys had no problem using launch control on their vert zl1 camaro family: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...le-test-review)

You might want to look at this thread, if your supercharger was replaced because of the solid isolator then this procedure may not have been properly performed. Granted this is for additional free boost without mod which you might want to do anyways. While 7-8 is normal stock, this can get you to ~9-10 PSI

A good tune will work wonders as well, I had the lag you mentioned before tune and it was gone after tune plus easier to spin the wheels. That said, after tune I had the lag come back. And I say this so you can be mindful that this may be an issue you are experiencing assuming your not the original owner and you got it used. At 26,000 miles my stock clutch was used up, it stayed laggy in 3rd and 4th until I replaced it around 34,000 miles. I've never spun in second unless I did a power brake and spun through first, if I had traction in first then I would chirp in second and that was it.

My launch control most of the time will go to around 4200 rpms and drop to hold at 4000 rpms, but I know because I've seen it that it will hold at different rpms (like 3500 rpm) as well based on other variables like air temp. Clutch all the way in then quickly press accelerator to the floor, doing it slowly will not activate launch control. That said what your doing wrong is trying to use launch control. If you'd like your bits and pieces to stay whole, forget the car has that feature anyways lol. I know once I got it figured out, I still don't use it. No lift shift however is where it's at...

Here's a video of two guys I know who both have ZL1 verts, The black one is stock (I think this one is auto but I don't recall), the white one is 10% overdrive (manual) with a tune and exhaust mods just for reference. Neither one using launch control

In Summary, do the fuse pull, consider boost mod, yes vert has launch control, turn off all the nannies (forget about the competitive mode and launch control). If used look at the clutch. Consider at least a tune for the Octane gas you plan to use. And Enjoy your car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
JRE 75 or 125 RWHP...problem solved.

/end thread.