Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Resonated X-pipe for twin turbo setup?

How will the magnaflow resonated x-pipe work in a twin turbo exhaust setup? Just wondering since the resonated xpipe doesn't direct the flow as well as a true xpipe or hpipe. Its more just like a big empty muffler with two in and two out. Seems like it might disrupt flow some but I don't know, it probably wont matter since ill only be around 400-450whp.

My setup now is the resonated xpipe to factory resonators, then into 2.5" muffler delete and quad tips. Would it help to get rid of the 2.25" pipe and factory resonators between the xpipe and muffler delete to make the whole system 2.5"?

What do you guys think?
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
How will the magnaflow resonated x-pipe work in a twin turbo exhaust setup? Just wondering since the resonated xpipe doesn't direct the flow as well as a true xpipe or hpipe. Its more just like a big empty muffler with two in and two out. Seems like it might disrupt flow some but I don't know, it probably wont matter since ill only be around 400-450whp.

My setup now is the resonated xpipe to factory resonators, then into 2.5" muffler delete and quad tips. Would it help to get rid of the 2.25" pipe and factory resonators between the xpipe and muffler delete to make the whole system 2.5"?

What do you guys think?

I have a magnaflow resonated X pipe on my supercharged ZL1. No issues with flow. Pushing 630RWHP. I installed it mainly to tone down the headers to NPP exhaust.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
JantzenOKC

Should work just fine for me then, thanks.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
I have the Magnaflow Xpipe, cat delete, resonator delete, 2.5" pipes and MRT V1 exhaust pushing 501rwhp and no issues at all. Car actually spools faster as it is known to recycle the exhaust gas energy producing more power. But also with a turbo you have to be careful with over spooling the turbos with a too unrestricted exhaust set up.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
I have the Magnaflow Xpipe, cat delete, resonator delete, 2.5" pipes and MRT V1 exhaust pushing 501rwhp and no issues at all. Car actually spools faster as it is known to recycle the exhaust gas energy producing more power. But also with a turbo you have to be careful with over spooling the turbos with a too unrestricted exhaust set up.
You think so? If you dig around you can find a post by fabberge that says an aftermarket "more free flowing" exhaust will help performance?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
JantzenOKC

Quote:
So how does your exhaust sound with that setup? Is it pretty loud? And how is the drone?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
If you remove too muchl back pressure you can overspool smaller turbos. I'm not sure if going 2.5 all the way back is going to be a problem with the IPS kit or not. I know I've seen problems when people have gone to big diameter exhaust and even cutouts behind the turbos. If Fabbrage says 2.5 in. is fine I think you'll be okay.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #8
JantzenOKC

Well if going 2.5" all the way won't help me over 2.25" then I will just leave it alone. I was thinking about not enough flow, not too much flow. I've got alot of learning to do about turbos.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:

What do you guys think?
magnaflow resonated x pipes are very restrictive. I took mine off and noticed a huge difference.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Well if going 2.5" all the way won't help me over 2.25" then I will just leave it alone. I was thinking about not enough flow, not too much flow. I've got alot of learning to do about turbos.
No get the 2.5 pipes. I started with 2.25 and it was hurting the turbos bad. Very poor flow and you could hear the engine struggle at high boost. I spend a huge amount of money this past March (3 different custom exhaust set ups) to get the right sound and performance from a performance exhaust shop here that deal with turbo cars. Remember the turbos act like a muffler so it chops up the sound when it comes to drone and raspy sounds. I have videos of all 3 set ups (V6owner, GretchenGotGrowl, BaylorCamaro, and sycraft seen them. And the first 2 set ups sound terrible. And performed bad. I'll post the one video of what my xpipe set up sounds like.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
JantzenOKC

Quote:
No get the 2.5 pipes. I started with 2.25 and it was hurting the turbos bad. Very poor flow and you could hear the engine struggle at high boost. I spend a huge amount of money this past March (3 different custom exhaust set ups) to get the right sound and performance from a performance exhaust shop here that deal with turbo cars. Remember the turbos act like a muffler so it chops up the sound when it comes to drone and raspy sounds. I have videos of all 3 set ups (V6owner, GretchenGotGrowl, BaylorCamaro, and sycraft seen them. And the first 2 set ups sound terrible. And performed bad. I'll post the one video of what my xpipe set up sounds like.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Please do, I'd love to hear it. I've also spent a rediculous amount of money on exhaust. About $2500 between the corsa, magnaflow, dynomax VT, super turbos, and now resonated xpipe and muffler delete. If i was at work I would post a pic of my giant pile of new mufflers. So I'll see how this sounds after the turbos are on and the converters are off. I'm very curious how it will change.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Please do, I'd love to hear it. I've also spent a rediculous amount of money on exhaust. About $2500 between the corsa, magnaflow, dynomax VT, super turbos, and now resonated xpipe and muffler delete. If i was at work I would post a pic of my giant pile of new mufflers. So I'll see how this sounds after the turbos are on and the converters are off. I'm very curious how it will change.

Current set up, just cruising around after install in March.

And other older videos:

Old 11-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #13
JantzenOKC

Yeah that seems to sound good, it's always hard to tell from videos. The resonated xpipe has had the best sound so far for me, that and the corsa. I had corsa to start with I should have stuck with that.