Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
agent5

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS (+RS) + Hurst+ DME
Got a service stabilitrack for the first time today

Hi Everyone,
I have a Procharged Camaro SS for about 1.5 years now with 0 issues. Today I was on the highway, 3rd gear and smashed the throttle, felt the engine lose power and then regain it (misfire?). Immediately after I had a service stabilitrack warning which turned off after a few seconds leaving only the engine light, which also went away after several more seconds.

When I got home I looked it up here on the forum and saw others that this happened to and took it out for another spin, I couldn't re-produce the problem. I also checked all the plugs to the ignition coils and looked for any codes but things were clear.

Thoughts? Is it reasonable that this could happen once in a blue moon? I have a moderate tune from Procharger, no knock retard, nothing special, just 7.5 PSI boost.

Appreciate ideas in advance!
agent5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Navy Chief MoonsSS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent5 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I have a Procharged Camaro SS for about 1.5 years now with 0 issues. Today I was on the highway, 3rd gear and smashed the throttle, felt the engine lose power and then regain it (misfire?). Immediately after I had a service stabilitrack warning which turned off after a few seconds leaving only the engine light, which also went away after several more seconds.

When I got home I looked it up here on the forum and saw others that this happened to and took it out for another spin, I couldn't re-produce the problem. I also checked all the plugs to the ignition coils and looked for any codes but things were clear.

Thoughts? Is it reasonable that this could happen once in a blue moon? I have a moderate tune from Procharger, no knock retard, nothing special, just 7.5 PSI boost.

Appreciate ideas in advance!
I have never personally experienced this but I have read that others who have say it was valve float and it did it a few more times and then the ring lands went and bent connecting rods...not saying this to scare you but this sounds like what happened to TRC-SS. Check his build Thread out post #895 and continue reading a bit from there and see if it Sounds familiar to what you experienced.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...139044&page=64

Good luck!

-Ryan
SC (SLP TVS2300),
Black wing CAI (designed for SLP SC)
JRE super tensioner
Fuel system (ZL1pump/ADM control module/ID850 injectors)
wheels/tires
NGK TR7IX plugs
MSD wires
ZR1 3 bar map sensor
160° thermostat
Crank pin kit
Navy Chief MoonsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
agent5

Thanks Ryan,
That is a concerning option. I did experience the clear feel of ignition misfire/reduced power under full load but I didn't see any other symptom or "fireworks" but that incident does put another item for me to keep an eye out for. I think I'll start data logging the next few days and see if I see it again and capture the sensor readouts.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent5 View Post
Thanks Ryan,
That is a concerning option. I did experience the clear feel of ignition misfire/reduced power under full load but I didn't see any other symptom or "fireworks" but that incident does put another item for me to keep an eye out for. I think I'll start data logging the next few days and see if I see it again and capture the sensor readouts.
You have zero reason to think it could be mechanical. Likely a faulty ground or a tire may have been overinflated/under inflated enough to throw off the system. Happens every time you put our cars on a dyno.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
agent5

Thanks Redlineviper. I'll check the tires to make sure. I was thinking of data logging and tracking the ignition misfires, knock retard, MAF, fuel pressure etc. Any other good data points I could try to log if this problem happens again real-time? I know I'm being over aggressive at validating this issue, it's the System Engineer in me.. :-)
Old 03-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
agent5

Hi Everyone,
I ran a datalog just now while doing some hard pulls. The car clearly is getting ignition misfires and knock retard under heavy load (this is new). I am trying to read in to what's going on here but I'm not an expert. If anyone wants to take a look at this datalog (it's a csv file created with Live Link Gen-II) then I would appreciate it.. Thank you friends.
Attached Files
File Type: zip camaro_misfires.zip (1.38 MB, 33 views)
Old 03-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #7
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Bad gas? Check the plugs?

Best pass on old setup 10.21@144.57mph

https://instagram.com/turbo_ls3/
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:37 AM   #8
bayarea408

Drives: Turbo 10' 2SS RS
inspect the plug wires, they start to cause all types of issues when they break down. Maybe one is touching something
Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
agent5

Checked the wires, look clean and secure, nothing seems to be loose. Also, if you look at the datalog the spark/voltages don't seem to indicate there is misfire due to wiring (although I'm not ruling out the spark plugs). The Spark plugs are the recommended NGK's for a boosted setup, about 1.5 years old.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #10
RealQuick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
I got the same code when I had burnt plug wires.
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #11
agent5

Hi Everyone,
Just an update on this. The car was in the shop and diagnosed with a Cyl #5 ignition misfire, it seemed like a coil or spark. Both were checked and seemed OK. They tried to switch things around to see if the problem would happen on another cylinder but nothing. When things were switched back the problem went away. Over 2 weeks and 4 test drives didn't re-produce the problem. So this may have just been a bad connection or who knows.. hopefully this went away for good.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #12
FieroItaliano85

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealQuick View Post
I got the same code when I had burnt plug wires.
This happened to me too.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #13
RealQuick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
inspect the plug wires, they start to cause all types of issues when they break down. Maybe one is touching something
That would be the first thing I check. My wires looked fine until I had them off and visually inspected them up close.

Usually you get the stabilitrak code on the dyno because the front wheels aren't moving, but the back ones are.
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #14
agent5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieroItaliano85 View Post
This happened to me too.
I had the plugs all inspected and they all looked good. This one was a real Gremlin.