Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 01-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
RedBarchetta

Drives: Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
Question on delivery for out-of-state buyer

Hi. Great forum...have read several threads on new car pricing, latest incentives (not much there at the moment for non-vets :( ) and most of my questions have been answered.

I will be ordering a 2LT/RS (manual tranny) relatively soon and I want to learn the mechanisms involved in how you place an order with an out-of-state dealer? I'm most concerned about delivery of the car...How does that work? The invoices in So Cal all say $850 for destination/freight, so I figure any build order would be re-directed to a So Cal dealer/destination of my choosing?!? What's the incentive to the local dealer for taking delivery on a vehicle they don't have an economic interest in?

FWIW, I have developed a positive rapport with a local dealer. But with how thin the incentives are at the moment, I'm also not afraid to work the best possible deal. And I won't pay @ MSRP...there is too much spread between invoice and that to just give an internet dealer a nearly $1,400 commission (not including the 3% holdback) for what will amount to a 30 minute phone call. And dealer stocks are bloated everywhere...I just can't find the exact combo I'm seeking so might as well just order it.

Thanks for your help!
RedBarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
If you post up exactly what you are looking for, I am sure on of the dealers on here can find it for you. Camaros around here are about $1,300 under MSRP right now before the discounts. The USAA or credit union price is lower yet.

If you order it from an out of state dealer, they can have it dropped shipped to a local dealer. Or the dealer you order it from can just ship it to you if they recieve it. Or you could make a road trip to go pick it up.

I would be wary of getting it dropped shipped, just like you said don't know how excited a dealer would be to handle a car that they aren't making much on.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
RedBarchetta

2LT - must have manual tranny
WRS Package
Silver Ice Metallic w/black int
C30 Black Stripe Package

And no moon roof. Not really interested in any other options, as the 2LT and RS combo brings quite a bit.

My credit history is the Rock of Gibraltar, so I may choose to finance a portion through GMAC.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Hi. Great forum...have read several threads on new car pricing, latest incentives (not much there at the moment for non-vets :( ) and most of my questions have been answered.

I will be ordering a 2LT/RS (manual tranny) relatively soon and I want to learn the mechanisms involved in how you place an order with an out-of-state dealer? I'm most concerned about delivery of the car...How does that work? The invoices in So Cal all say $850 for destination/freight, so I figure any build order would be re-directed to a So Cal dealer/destination of my choosing?!? What's the incentive to the local dealer for taking delivery on a vehicle they don't have an economic interest in?

FWIW, I have developed a positive rapport with a local dealer. But with how thin the incentives are at the moment, I'm also not afraid to work the best possible deal. And I won't pay @ MSRP...there is too much spread between invoice and that to just give an internet dealer a nearly $1,400 commission (not including the 3% holdback) for what will amount to a 30 minute phone call. And dealer stocks are bloated everywhere...I just can't find the exact combo I'm seeking so might as well just order it.

Thanks for your help!
The incentive for the local dealer is the typical $250.00 fee we (the ordering dealer) pay them JUST to handle the paperwork and delivery when you come to pick up the car. That is more than I would make on the commission on that car! lol I don't think you meant to imply that a salesperson would make a $1,400 commission on any Camaro. I wish! Anyway, they also earn the money GM pays dealers for the Pre-Delivery Inspection.

The $850.00 destination charge is the same for all dealers, even those of us just 7 hours away from the plant. Hope this answers your questions.

Let me know if I can help you get your car ordered or even locate one near me and ship it to your door. I would be happy to help!

Anna
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
RedBarchetta

Thank you for the response, Anna. Yes, the spread doesn't all go to the salesperson. I'm just searching for that sweet spot between invoice and MSRP at the moment. My local contact actually pushed me to hold off when I was in the showroom the last week of the year. So I have to believe that better incentives/rebates are around the corner...you don't tell a buyer that unless you know something.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Thank you for the response, Anna. Yes, the spread doesn't all go to the salesperson. I'm just searching for that sweet spot between invoice and MSRP at the moment. My local contact actually pushed me to hold off when I was in the showroom the last week of the year. So I have to believe that better incentives/rebates are around the corner...you don't tell a buyer that unless you know something.
Or if you don't have any available allocation
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Fivestars

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_bank_robber View Post
Or if you don't have any available allocation

True story
Fivestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
So Instead of flying out 437 miles away my dealer and driving it home can have it drop shipped to my local dealer???? and I can fill out the paper work there?
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
My opinion on Drop Shipping a Camaro:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39230

Also, you mention sweet spot between MSRP and Invoice....Anna and I can do better than that - both of our dealerships respectively have done better - and it all starts with a phone call. In fact, the money we save you can easily cover shipping.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
RedBarchetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
My opinion on Drop Shipping a Camaro:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39230

In fact, the money we save you can easily cover shipping.
Thank you for the primer, Scotty. Perhaps your last statement is true if the car is located on the West Coast somewhere. I have had enclosed transport done before (from Dallas) and it's $,$$$. Enclosed would be the only option I would accept. Seems like after additional shipping and paying a dealer $250 to handle the drop-off, I'm not getting any better a deal (on a lot car) than if I just worked a local seller. What am I missing here?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
RedBarchetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Anna and I can do better than that - both of our dealerships respectively have done better - and it all starts with a phone call.
I'm not doubting that. I just need to do a little more local due diligence. Thanks.