Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #85
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
MRK III Z28: great write-up. Thanks so much. Two questions that I just want to be clear on.

1. Claying: Is it okay to clay the plastic/rubber bumpers. I assume it is since you are only actually surface cleaning the paint.

2. After Claying: Is immediately after claying the time to apply a coat of wax? Any special instructions or just apply as normal?

Thanks to any who can answer confidently.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #86
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
MRK III Z28: great write-up. Thanks so much. Two questions that I just want to be clear on.

1. Claying: Is it okay to clay the plastic/rubber bumpers. I assume it is since you are only actually surface cleaning the paint.

2. After Claying: Is immediately after claying the time to apply a coat of wax? Any special instructions or just apply as normal?

Thanks to any who can answer confidently.
To #1, Yes, I tend to just not lean as hard because the rubber / composite is softer and gives more than the painted metal.

#2 Technically you could wax any time you want, but once you've properly clayed your car, it won't have anything protecting your surface. From a last step process, you should probably clean (wash) one more time to make sure all of the detail spray / clay lube has been removed, Polish if needed, use a sealant to protect and then Wax to further protect.

So to review Assuming you've properly striped any old waxes or seals off and your paint is perfect:
Clay, Wash, spot polish if needed, Seal, glaze (optional), Then Wax.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #87
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
To #1, Yes, I tend to just not lean as hard because the rubber / composite is softer and gives more than the painted metal.

#2 Technically you could wax any time you want, but once you've properly clayed your car, it won't have anything protecting your surface. From a last step process, you should probably clean (wash) one more time to make sure all of the detail spray / clay lube has been removed, Polish if needed, use a sealant to protect and then Wax to further protect.

So to review Assuming you've properly striped any old waxes or seals off and your paint is perfect:
Clay, Wash, spot polish if needed, Seal, glaze (optional), Then Wax.

Hope that helps.
It certainly does help. Thanks very much!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #88
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMjman View Post
Great Thread on detailing. I have one question. How does one go about cleaning the engine compartment?
yeah, how? im would like to know also
Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #89
jdogscam2013

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray
Don't ever waste your money on dealer add ons, they make like 300% profit on something you can easily do yourself.
jdogscam2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #90
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Drives: 10 SS/RS 6M Blk/Blk Silver Stripes
Engine wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalberdi99 View Post
yeah, how? im would like to know also
You really don't need to hose down an LS engine. They seal so well that all you really need to do is just wipe it down with a damp microfiber towel after every car wash and your good. I have 20,000 on my 10 SS and it still looks brand new. Just get a little OCD and spend a few hours whipping down shock towers, pulleys, hoses, sub frame, wiper cowl, under hood, finders along the inside ect... You can use some detail spray to help get some of the harder stuffs.
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
-Hurst Shifter, with custom Speed Dawg
Dennis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #91
tc Bosnian

Drives: 09 a4 1500 silverado 2010 2ss rs
ok i just picked up my car and its was snowing snowing coming home.. by the time i brought it home its gotten dirty from the snow/salt. id like to wash, wax and then store it like the thread instructs. but my question is, with it being so cold what should i do?

465 WHP and 445 torque.
tc Bosnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #92
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Wash

Really nothing you can do until it warms up enough so the water does not freeze on contact making things worse. Plus if you have to go to a car wash now it's not going to do you any good as you have to drive back in the nasty roads once again. Black is the hardest color to take care of as I know this very well with my black SS. If you want to keep it looking new and swirl free I would highly highly recommend looking at Adams Polishs and watch thier videos on how to wash a car. Watch all thier videos I leaned a lot of very good technics. Adams is very expensive but they do have good products and very good washing and drying technics to save the paint. I personally use every bit of their stuff and can say its worth every penny, 20000 miles and she still looks better then new!
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 12-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #93
tc Bosnian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis SS View Post
Really nothing you can do until it warms up enough so the water does not freeze on contact making things worse. Plus if you have to go to a car wash now it's not going to do you any good as you have to drive back in the nasty roads once again. Black is the hardest color to take care of as I know this very well with my black SS. If you want to keep it looking new and swirl free I would highly highly recommend looking at Adams Polishs and watch thier videos on how to wash a car. Watch all thier videos I leaned a lot of very good technics. Adams is very expensive but they do have good products and very good washing and drying technics to save the paint. I personally use every bit of their stuff and can say its worth every penny, 20000 miles and she still looks better then new!
oh gotcha, im thinking about going to a car wash right now. the roads are cleaner so it wont be as dirty. i just dont like doing car washes bc of the water pressure to the paint. but one time isnt going to hurt it. and yes ive noticed when black gets dirty how noticeable it is.

465 WHP and 445 torque.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #94
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Car wash pressure washers are not very powerful. If you stand back a foot from the blast it's pretty delicate. I use a pressure washer on my car everytime. I have a Karcher 1800 PSI electric pressure washer and I use a foam cannon and rinse.
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 12-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #95
tc Bosnian

Quote:
Car wash pressure washers are not very powerful. If you stand back a foot from the blast it's pretty delicate. I use a pressure washer on my car everytime. I have a Karcher 1800 PSI electric pressure washer and I use a foam cannon and rinse.
oh ok, i need to buy all this stuff not sure what all i need tho.

465 WHP and 445 torque.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #96
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Take a look at the Adams Polishes website. They have all kinds of stuff and ideas if you don't want to spend the money, they are pricey. Also check out Auto Geek website for thier cleaning supplies. They have e foam cannon that is a must for black cars. You have to go the extra mile to keep black looking good.
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #97
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
Quote:
Take a look at the Adams Polishes website. They have all kinds of stuff and ideas if you don't want to spend the money, they are pricey. Also check out Auto Geek website for thier cleaning supplies. They have e foam cannon that is a must for black cars. You have to go the extra mile to keep black looking good.
Is there one of their foam cannons in particular you'd recommend? I've got a Carbon Flash Metallic finish which is just about black...
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #98
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWHD View Post
Is there one of their foam cannons in particular you'd recommend? I've got a Carbon Flash Metallic finish which is just about black...
Not an Adam's product, but I have the MTM hydro foam cannon which is ~60 dollars and I get great results

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 01-02-2013 at 11:40 AM.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing detailing zaino