Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-27-2023, 04:57 PM   #1
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Hard pop or noise in front left under hard braking / conerning

Hey guys, got a question for ya.

2010 SS, stock front end components with camber plates and airlift suspension. PS4S on all corners.

First and only time I had this happen and hoping someone has an idea.

Very tight right hand turn, downhill and hard on the brakes, car was for sure leaning heavily on the front left! Might be the hardest it's been pushed so far.

The PS4S were warmed up and taking everything I threw at them. At the peak of the curve, and pronounced pop or bang was heard / felt from the front left. I fully expected the tire got into the fender. Nursed it for a mile to a pull off to do a quick inspection and found nothing wrong. No marks on the tire, inside or out. Camber plates had not moved, all suspension parts appeared normal, nothing funny with ABS or the air lift system.

Beat on it some more and never replicated the noise, seemed normal.

I'm at a loss and looking for advice!

Thanks,
Brian
Old 08-27-2023, 09:05 PM   #2
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I had a loud pop sound when I was pulling into my Driveway which is not any kinda crazy angle yesterday and it was from the front left, I have no idea either, I am assuming it was a sway bar link but I have no idea either, Nothing seems to be broke or loose.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 06:51 AM   #3
SlowLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
I had a loud pop sound when I was pulling into my Driveway which is not any kinda crazy angle yesterday and it was from the front left, I have no idea either, I am assuming it was a sway bar link but I have no idea either, Nothing seems to be broke or loose.
Never had it before, it it was violent enough that even my wife noticed it. I need to start taking a GoPro with me when driving... So weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandevere View Post
The sound could have been caused by a brief contact between the tire and a fender or wheel well liner. Since you didn't notice any marks on the tire or signs of rubbing, it's possible that the contact was momentary and didn't leave any visible traces.
While your comment is valid, the spam link you dropped in the quote is highly sus...
Old 08-28-2023, 12:21 PM   #4
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
It could also be the struts wiggling around in the towers. They aren't rigidly mounted.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 06:36 PM   #5
SlowLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
It could also be the struts wiggling around in the towers. They aren't rigidly mounted.
Thanks for the reply, I don't think my strut setup would have that issue. I definitely could see it on a stock strut setup. Any other ideas?

I guess I need to find a large open parking lot, and mount a GoPro on the fender and see if I can replicate it.
Attached Images