Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
MSull16

Drives: '10 Camaro SS LS3
2 Transmission Concerns 2010 SS M6

Hello everyone, so I am experiencing 2 "problems" that Im not really sure are trans related or even problems at all but to me I feel this is the best category.

1. I have been making sure I am pushing the clutch to the floor but even so when I change gears or put the car in 1st it still makes a sort of grindy type noise.. What can I do to fix that?

2. When I am accelerating, particularly in lower gears, I hear an almost slight gurgling noise. Its hard to explain and probably even harder to get on video/audio. Its sounds like its coming from the same area as the gearbox but maybe a little more towards the engine bay but not the same type of sound as in #1. Im really puzzled. It hasn't effected my driving experience or at least to the point where I can notice a difference.

I took the car to a local Meineke Auto Center and they did a quick check on the clutch and trans and said everything seems okay but they recommend a dealer look at it if Im that worried about it. I came here before the dealer because Im not trying to pay $100 for someone just to take a look with no sense of direction. I know a new trans can be around 5k so I want the issue (if any) resolved asap.

Thanks!
MSull16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Hmm - actually grinds, or just makes some noise?

If it grinds going into gear from a stop, with the clutch pushed down to the floor, it sounds like the clutch is dragging. If the clutch won't release all the way, then it'll never go into gear smoothly, especially when stopped. If it gets bad enough, you could get to the point where it won't go into gear at all from a stop.

If it's just noise, I'd be less concerned, my car has a really noisy aftermarket shift, but I have heard some people say even their stock shifter still transmitted some noise up into the cabin of the car.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!

Last edited by acammer; 08-05-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Spelling.
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #3
Surfdog SS

Drives: 2015 SS Black/Black
I have the GM short throw shifter on mine and for lack of a better word, I feel like it is very "clunky" When I'm in the passenger seat I can hear it is very loud
2015 2SS M6 Stainless Power LT header w/ hf cats, NPP axle backs, ECS Novi 1500 SC, ATI 10% UD, BMR 1.25 springs, trailing arms, and bushings, short thow shifter, Z28 replica rims, BTR stage 2 centrifugal cam, zl1 pump, FIC 1000, and flex fuel
Surfdog SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #4
MSull16

Ive noticed at times when I go to put the car in reverse it absolutely wont go in. As for being at a stop and putting it into first, its not too terribly bad. So if this is the clutch dragging, how much does this usually cost to fix? What needs to be done?

Yes the sound doesn't seem like its necessarily a bad one, it is just something I noticed and thought might be a problem. Its not necessarily annoying either.... as long as there is no issue with it. If its found to be a problem then its annoying otherwise I couldn't care less.

I just wanted to address the "issues" before they could escalate.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSull16 View Post
Ive noticed at times when I go to put the car in reverse it absolutely wont go in. As for being at a stop and putting it into first, its not too terribly bad. So if this is the clutch dragging, how much does this usually cost to fix? What needs to be done?

Yes the sound doesn't seem like its necessarily a bad one, it is just something I noticed and thought might be a problem. Its not necessarily annoying either.... as long as there is no issue with it. If its found to be a problem then its annoying otherwise I couldn't care less.

I just wanted to address the "issues" before they could escalate.
Some times the gears aren't perfectly lined up, and when you're at a dead stop, they just won't go in until you either let the car roll a touch or let up just enough on the clutch to let it turn. The fact that you get this normal situation occurring is good evidence that you don't have a dragging clutch - if you did it would slip into gear, with a little pop/clunk.

If the clutch is dragging it can be the fault of a failing master or slave cylinder (the hydraulic system that operates the clutch), air in the hydraulic system, a bent clutch fork, or a problem with the clutch itself.

When I hurt the clutch on my 4th gen it was stuck engaged and dragging really badly. I could only shift by rev-matching, and I couldn't keep the car idling in gear without my foot on the throttle a bit. The diagnosis was a damper spring broke and got caught between the plates. No fun.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Have you checked or changed the trans fluid? Also what does your clutch/brake fluid look like? Check the fluid level?
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
swiftkart

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 M6
Try bleeding the clutch to make sure it doesn't have some air in the line and I would look into installing a Ideal master cylinder, mine use to do what yours does sometimes and when shifting into 2nd and high rpm, but doesn't since installing his modified cylinder which pushes a lot more fluid which gives much better clutch disengagement and better shifts, do a search on here and you will find reviews.
swiftkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Pushing the clutch to the floor for one should be unnecessary as the range should be the things working about 1/2 way in to the floor ....What sound your experiencing if its just clutch chatter or not I don't know, but between this and the other three posts I just replied too on this page seems you should read up on others clutch problems and such and maybe help diagnose the most likely cause of your problem by using the search threads and reading up on symptoms and repairs. I do not know the age of the trans/engine in miles or the usage or the times when it had the clutch fried or...ETC.....when it smoked and had to gurgle.... LOL anyway the gurgling....? exhaust?

If your missing gears get a better shifter like a MGW. Good Luck, clutches of course eventually get bad though the stock ones pretty good its throwout bearing support is one of its weakest points being plastic and Monster makes a nice billet replacement for the support. Good Luck.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
MSull16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
Have you checked or changed the trans fluid? Also what does your clutch/brake fluid look like? Check the fluid level?
Just had the clutch/brake lines flushed and filled 2 weeks ago. I did notice an improvement in performance after that was done.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #10
MSull16

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Pushing the clutch to the floor for one should be unnecessary as the range should be the things working about 1/2 way in to the floor ....What sound your experiencing if its just clutch chatter or not I don't know, but between this and the other three posts I just replied too on this page seems you should read up on others clutch problems and such and maybe help diagnose the most likely cause of your problem by using the search threads and reading up on symptoms and repairs. I do not know the age of the trans/engine in miles or the usage or the times when it had the clutch fried or...ETC.....when it smoked and had to gurgle.... LOL anyway the gurgling....? exhaust?

If your missing gears get a better shifter like a MGW. Good Luck, clutches of course eventually get bad though the stock ones pretty good its throwout bearing support is one of its weakest points being plastic and Monster makes a nice billet replacement for the support. Good Luck.
Yeah, may just get a new shifter to cure that problem and honestly I bet that sound is just exhaust.. I heard as the pipes get older the heat expands the metal and can make the sound modified a little.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #11
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
If anyone responded about the gurgling sound I missed it, but that gurgle could be from the heater hoses. There's a fix for that, but you'll have to use search to find it.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #12
Synner

Drives: cars
The gurgling was from how they went over the engine and caused air bubbles. It got switched with a revised hose that had a check valve sort of thing installed. Although I cleaned up the engine bay with totally different ones that go along the side of the engine instead of over top like the newer 5th gen camaros did. I got the hoses from Katech.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #13
Synner

Drives: cars
A pain to route but worth it for looks alone.
http://store.katechengines.com/heate...-kit-p273.aspx
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote