Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
monza41

Drives: Chevrolet
Brakes - Summit Point Main

It's been a few years since I've been on the track... last time out was at Summit Point Main in 2013 in a vintage race. Prior to that I did a handful of vintage races and track days each year for a solid 10 years. I've since bought a 2015 1LE and would like to do a track day or two before deciding if I want to sink some serious money into the brakes and make this more of a capable track car or not. Any thoughts on if I do just a track alignment and DOT 4 if I'm going to cook the brakes? I was thinking if I kept the revs down on the front straight and just got back into the rhythm of things I might be ok, but I thought some forum members could provide some additional thoughts.

I've been looking closely at doing the Z06 caliper upgrade which has been discussed in several threads, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be getting back into tracking enough to justify the costs at the moment. Any feedback is appreciated!
monza41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Since you have track experience if you have stock pads you will melt them. If it's 95+ you may need a cooldown lap midway.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The Z06 caliper upgrade is as they say "the juice is worth the squeeze". I track my once a year an auto X it the same time. They do inspire a little more confidence during spirited street driving or curvy mountain roads. I bought a set and completely rebuilt them using the Vette pistons, probably would have been cheaper to buy them in the long run. There is the added expense of brake lines, caliper bolts, correct pads, and a hardware kit so I'd a say a solid 1k not counting new rotors, I went with CTS-V since they came with my caliper purchase. New ZL1 rotors will cost you close to 600 bucks for a pair. Now if you wanna get really racy find a set of ZL1 hats and get a set of Grand Sport/Z06 rotors and use the brake rings on the ZL1 hats their already slotted by GM. You can easily sink 2k in a factory set up but it will all fit without any modifications an look like it came that way. I'll be looking for another set of rear calipers and then recoating the hole set to match in either Green or IOM.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
olblue75

And you can find OEM pads over at corvetteforum.com pretty regular for 75-150 bucks extremely low mileage, lot of the guys swap to a low dusting pad that they think is better than a OEM pad.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
monza41

Drives: Chevrolet
Thanks - you guys confirmed what I was thinking, but was on the fence as I was hoping to do an outing or two later this summer or fall and then make the final call on the upgrades this winter. Looks like it's time for me to go back through the threads and look at the various write-ups on pads. Any preference for you? Ideally I'd like a street/track pad, but again, I'm probably asking for something that's not going to be possible or ideal.
monza41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
olblue75

Stock 6piston Brembos work pretty good.

Last edited by olblue75; 07-29-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:55 AM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
ST43. I have cobalt frictions right now but they're tough on your wheels.

It's not worth putting money into the 4 pistons if you plan on doing more than 2 track days a year. I think it cost me 1300 for ZL1 fronts with track pads a couple years ago. Brake ducts help a lot too.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #8
51LE50

Drives: 2015 1LE, 2SS, Bright Yellow
I went with Raybestos ST45 fronts and ST43 rears and they work well. RBF660 fluid I flush every track weekend and drive NASA group 3 w/ occasional SCCA TT. My '15 has a Z/28 suspension and aero kit, brake ducts and camber plates.
I run Michelin Cup 2's but think I'm at limit driving in that group with the current setup.
I'd say to evaluate the tracks you want to drive; does it eat brakes? Some do, some don't.
How aggressive are you as a driver? Can you 'turn it down a notch and just have fun?'
I can't.
With your experience you'll know if the brakes are getting soft. Go have fun and then spend the $$
51LE50 is offline   Reply With Quote