Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-03-2020, 11:38 PM   #29
Vanishing Point

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, LSX, 4L80E
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhawk View Post
I'm really scared to let local shops try to assemble everything because we have maybe 5-10 built Camaros and Mustangs in the whole country and nobody has much experience with American cars.

People do build their cars here but they are mostly Mitsubishis and Subarus, maybe some Audis and BMWs.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Thanks for clarifying. That fully explains your going with turn key options. I’m sure I’d do the same in that situation. Thanks for addressing my consideration of a local builder.

I have no experience with TMS so can’t offer much help on the choice. Hopefully you can get enough input from those with direct experience to make your choice clearer. I did have a stock B-8 (bought the car that way), which was solid until a certain “tuner” over tuned it doing his own calculations of compression etc., deciding what it could handle. I’m sure a B-15 is a solid option, with less of a gamble on being quality built. I’m happy the one tuner broke it btw. That’s what got me into this world and eventually why I have the build I do now.

Further, I can see why you wouldn’t want to go all in. Running a car at 1000whp or more is going to break things. You’re out there sort of alone on this. Best to make it solid and fast but not get crazy. You’re making good sense. Good luck.

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 04-03-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:06 AM   #30
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
I believe this car from ( wow...7 or more years ago !! ) used the B15, although pics seem to show it has head studs as opposed to factory bolts.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325256

Problem a lot in the US dont get..is when buying from the other side of the world, it's a huge gamble from almost any shop.
And once you've received the goods....it's usually tough shit if there is a problem, because it's totally impractical and too expensive to ship anything back.

Slightly closer to home, and they seem to post some impressive stuff online are https://www.facebook.com/pg/CCRP-Coo...3247472/about/

Who may be a supply option as they seem to build and do a lot of motors and stock crate motors. Although I've never had any dealings with them myself, so cannot comment on how good or bad they are.

Although usually it is cheaper to import directly from the US regardless.

But it'd be hard to go wrong with the B15. Let's face it, look how far some push stock bottom end motors, and the B15 is probably the best SBE you could get ?
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #31
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I asked 3 shops, and they said that they’re not too fond of TMS. They said that they have multiple issues from day 1. These are shops that I asked all over the country.
Complete Street Performance
Late Model Throttle

Here’s the 2 so far.. trying to find the 3rd
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:16 AM   #32
stevieturbo

The sad reality is there will be good and bad reports about almost any shop. Is there any with a 100% perfect record ?

Although I'd say few have issue with a brand new GM motor.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #33
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Quote:
I asked 3 shops, and they said that they’re not too fond of TMS. They said that they have multiple issues from day 1. These are shops that I asked all over the country.
Sometimes shops are not fond of other shops because of price too.... TMS is very competitive on price. As kid in High School I worked at a boat dealership. The owner believed in undercutting everyone else on price and we made our profits by selling more boats - sometimes a 125 in a month in southern AZ where the nearest lake was 3 hrs away. Should have heard what the other dealers said about us....

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #34
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by racesloth View Post
Sometimes shops are not fond of other shops because of price too.... TMS is very competitive on price. As kid in High School I worked at a boat dealership. The owner believed in undercutting everyone else on price and we made our profits by selling more boats - sometimes a 125 in a month in southern AZ where the nearest lake was 3 hrs away. Should have heard what the other dealers said about us....
Agreed. I took everything with a grain of salt. You get the good, the bad, and the ugly.
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #35
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Complete Street Performance
Late Model Throttle

Here’s the 2 so far.. trying to find the 3rd
I've never heard of them. I do all my own work to save money and because I enjoy the rewards. And I know who to blame when something goes wrong, and I'll know exactly what was done, and how to fix it.

I haven't received the motor yet, so I can't form an opinion of it. I have built 2 LS motors, and they are both still running to this day. It's not very hard. Of course they were stock rebuilds, and not at this power level, but the principle is the same.

I believe most competent machinists can build a good motor, and if they can do it for cheaper than everyone else, and give me a 12 month warranty, well, I'm in.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #36
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
You could always have them do everything except assembly and the assemble yourself to double check all cleaned etc. But if they are guaranteeing their work, where TSP would not...that is some confidence right there.

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:20 AM   #37
vhawk

Drives: 2012SS
Guys, thank you for your input!

I looked at mylftft's build and I am very impressed.

His build is based on stock ZL1 driveline and it can handle those huge power levels as we can see. AGP also says you just need to add good fueling to a ZL1 and it can make 1000whp with everything else stock.

Here comes the third oprtion.

I can buy a salvaged ZL1 and take it's LSA engine with all the driveline and other goodies for a price close to a new single B15 engine.

Does it make any sense to buy a new B15 if I can buy a used LSA with the whole driveline for about the same money? And in any case I will need to buy that used ZL1 driveline in order to reach 800+ whp with the B15.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #38
stevieturbo

A stock LSA motor would not be a great long term solution for 1khp though.

The motor would still, need work to consider safe at that level.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #39
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhawk View Post
Guys, thank you for your input!

I looked at mylftft's build and I am very impressed.

His build is based on stock ZL1 driveline and it can handle those huge power levels as we can see. AGP also says you just need to add good fueling to a ZL1 and it can make 1000whp with everything else stock.

Here comes the third oprtion.

I can buy a salvaged ZL1 and take it's LSA engine with all the driveline and other goodies for a price close to a new single B15 engine.

Does it make any sense to buy a new B15 if I can buy a used LSA with the whole driveline for about the same money? And in any case I will need to buy that used ZL1 driveline in order to reach 800+ whp with the B15.

Depending on the condition of the salvaged ZL1, I would jump on that. You could use the motor trans and rear end and sell the rest. Not sure of the market in Ukraine, but here that would sell very fast.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #40
cptslow

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS L99
Hey all! Sorry to jump in so late, but I figured I'd throw out my $0.02 for the B15. I've been running it now for almost 3 years with an E-Force at 12 psi. I replaced my destroyed L99 with this motor. No issues so far. I make just shy of 700 whp with a 3500 stall.

So far no issues with the trans, rear is built with Eaton and a LPW cover, but I finally broke an axle at the end of last season.

The motor is solid. It runs smooth and quiet and I've had zero issues. I followed the break-in closely, but it took about 1000 miles for the rings to really seat. I get very little in my catch can, and I have to add about 1/2 qt oil every 2000-3000 miles. Plugs look great every time I've changed them.

I hope this helps for anyone looking at an engine upgrade. Good luck!
cptslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #41
JMI

Drives: Red Jewel Camaro SS
Too bad your not closer,I have a brand new LSX376B15 still in the crate here that I'm not using and I would sell.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:08 PM   #42
vhawk

Drives: 2012SS
I have just noticed ATK have all-forged 415CI LS3 for 1.5k cheaper than B15/TMS408.

Does it look like a good pick?