Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #15
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
Except there is a a recorded issue on the battery ground cable...

When I press the square button on the left stalk, I can turn the knob for:
Battery Voltage
Tire Pressures
Oil Life
Coolant Temperature
Language Setting
This is bullshit! haha! I’ve got all those things except battery voltage.
ABM #2399 GM GFX, GM Heritage, GM dovetail. Silver Ice Rally stripes.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #16
Bubblehead
Submarine Pilot

Drives: 2015 Commemorative Edition SS
I have upgraded the ground in all of my cars over the years. I also add a power cable from the alternator to the battery. All 1/0 awg. You should expect higher voltages for a bit. The cars computer will regulate it and the voltage will settle down a bit. Voltages between 12 and 15 are good.

It does not help as much as it did on cars from the 80s through early 2000s, but still worth doing. You should see your mpg go up. I only about 1 in the Camaro, it has the best factory wiring I have seen. My wife’s 2017 Buick Enclave got just under 2 mpg better.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #17
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
It never hurts to add a huge ground cable from each head to the chassis, and one from the block to chassis. Especially on a modded car with a very strong ignition set up.

On my '69 I was having trouble with misfires, fouling plugs, killing plug wires... All on one bank. Turns out only the block and one head had a big ground strap. Put a ground strap on the other head... all ignition problems gone... plugs and wires last forever now. MSD's tech line helped me with that one. They said... many think that headbolts would provide a good ground path to the block - they don't. Each head and the block often need their own separate ground strap, and not just a wire, an actual heavy gauge ground strap.

Just in case anyone ever runs into a weird ignition problem. I've helped a few others at the drag strip pulling their hair out over ignition problems when I spot a head with no big ground strap. That plug is firing a lot of voltage that needs a direct path to ground.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:09 PM   #18
Bubblehead
Submarine Pilot

Drives: 2015 Commemorative Edition SS
Quote:
It never hurts to add a huge ground cable from each head to the chassis, and one from the block to chassis.
I agree, those two plus the battery to chassis.

OP, you have a 2015 so there is a 1/0 awg from your passenger head to chassis. (I’ve only looked in my engine bay, so all gen 5s probably have it. ) Get a bolt that matches the one on your passenger side head. From the dealer it was about $3. The cables are super easy to make.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:04 AM   #19
'10CamaroDude

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I once did a big ground update on my former 2000 Dodge Avenger ES. I added
thicker grounds. I had NO corrosion on the terminals till I did that. For some reason,
putting thicker grounds, and adding addition ground points caused that white nasty
corrosion on the positive AND negative battery terminals. I removed the grounds,
kept the factory stuff, never happened again. This is why I have never added any
grounds to any other vehicles. I don't know why it happened, but it did.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #20
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS LS3 Swapped A6
Here is where I have mine attached. Top pic shows which bolt hole I used on the head, bottom shows where I connected on the subframe. I used the existing grounding point/bolt on the frame rail, keeping the OEM ground cable as well.
Attached Images

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swap A6 - GPI SS1 .646/.637, (224/237, 112 +4) 8620 core, Melling HV 10296, CHE trunnions, heads milled .015, TSP longtubes (Catless), X-Pipe, FM Outlaw axle back, Stage 2 ported throttle body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, Hinson wires/NGK TR6IX plugs, 160º stat, Vitesse TC, slotted/cross drilled rotors w/Hawk performance ceramic pads, ZL1 leather steering wheel swap, ZL1 Add-Ons wicker bill spoiler, SLP front splitter - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s - Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:21 PM   #21
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
It never hurts to add a huge ground cable from each head to the chassis, and one from the block to chassis. Especially on a modded car with a very strong ignition set up.

On my '69 I was having trouble with misfires, fouling plugs, killing plug wires... All on one bank. Turns out only the block and one head had a big ground strap. Put a ground strap on the other head... all ignition problems gone... plugs and wires last forever now. MSD's tech line helped me with that one. They said... many think that headbolts would provide a good ground path to the block - they don't. Each head and the block often need their own separate ground strap, and not just a wire, an actual heavy gauge ground strap.

Just in case anyone ever runs into a weird ignition problem. I've helped a few others at the drag strip pulling their hair out over ignition problems when I spot a head with no big ground strap. That plug is firing a lot of voltage that needs a direct path to ground.
Excellent advice!
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #22
BAH2SS
Stigs Bahraini Cousin

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Here is where I have mine attached. Top pic shows which bolt hole I used on the head, bottom shows where I connected on the subframe. I used the existing grounding point/bolt on the frame rail, keeping the OEM ground cable as well.
I connected it to the same ground point except mine is connected to the block instead of the head. There is nice place for it near the knock sensor. Corvettes come with a ground added on that same spot from GM.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #23
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH2SS View Post
I connected it to the same ground point except mine is connected to the block instead of the head. There is nice place for it near the knock sensor. Corvettes come with a ground added on that same spot from GM.
Yeah, I'm not sure if it matters which spot you use. I never had any issues or slow cranking problems, it was just a piece of mind thing.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swap A6 - GPI SS1 .646/.637, (224/237, 112 +4) 8620 core, Melling HV 10296, CHE trunnions, heads milled .015, TSP longtubes (Catless), X-Pipe, FM Outlaw axle back, Stage 2 ported throttle body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, Hinson wires/NGK TR6IX plugs, 160º stat, Vitesse TC, slotted/cross drilled rotors w/Hawk performance ceramic pads, ZL1 leather steering wheel swap, ZL1 Add-Ons wicker bill spoiler, SLP front splitter - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s - Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:01 PM   #24
BAH2SS
Stigs Bahraini Cousin

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure if it matters which spot you use. I never had any issues or slow cranking problems, it was just a piece of mind thing.
Same here, i can say the voltage increased by at least 1.5v