Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 10-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
Ultimate_Bumblebee
On order 2LT Rally yellow

Drives: Acura TSX 2007, 2LT T-form edi
Who has kept or plans to keep their ONSTAR and/or XM Satellite service?

What do you guys like about it and how did you justify it?
Ultimate_Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
XM I have not yet bothered to renew on any vehicle I own with XM for free (2 cars and a truck) I find that they have 0 stations I am interested in. Great if you like sports though, since there are about 1000 channels of hockey, baseball, and basketball.

No real great rock stations. I wish they were linked with Sirrius. I mean XM has a Frank Sinatra only station, a Grateful Dead station, But no AC/DC station??

I mean seriously, the Grateful Dead??

Onstar however, I might renew. I used the turn by turn directions a lot on my roadtrip to Yellowstone Park. Didn't get lost ONCE, directions were spot-on!

Of course I could also just buy the directions for 1 month if I do a road trip too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Main

Drives: 10 Camaro 2LT, 10 SRX FWD
I've already signed up for a lifetime subscription. The catch? I signed up for a US subscription. That way it is XM with the "Best of Sirius". Lifetime isn't available in Canada, neither is "best of". It cost $499 plus a ~$60 fee for music royalties?

I love the service - I've had Sirius in my last car with a portable unit, and have become addicted to no commercials. I don't have ANY FM stations on my favorites - it is too frustrating listening to commercials.

Also? Howard Stern, FTW.

On the Onstar side? I will be moving to the Safe & Sound subscription once my year is up. The immediate response in an accident is worth it for me. Never had to use, never hope to use it, but it sure makes me feel better driving.
Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Don't really care for XM. Can live without Onstar also. I rarely drive in the middle of nowhere and on the highway everyone has a cell phone so immediate response is going to come whether it's from OnStar or Joe Schmoe's cell.
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Satellite radio....GONE AS OF OCT 2ND...not worth paying for. that's what we have advertisers for, and keep them in business. I'll admit, I only found about a hand full of stations that I really liked, but doesn't justify paying for it.

Onstar, I have a long way to go before making that decision.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Main View Post
I've already signed up for a lifetime subscription. The catch? I signed up for a US subscription. That way it is XM with the "Best of Sirius". Lifetime isn't available in Canada, neither is "best of". It cost $499 plus a ~$60 fee for music royalties?

I love the service - I've had Sirius in my last car with a portable unit, and have become addicted to no commercials. I don't have ANY FM stations on my favorites - it is too frustrating listening to commercials.

Also? Howard Stern, FTW.

On the Onstar side? I will be moving to the Safe & Sound subscription once my year is up. The immediate response in an accident is worth it for me. Never had to use, never hope to use it, but it sure makes me feel better driving.

Hey does that package have the all AC/DC station?? Cause I might order it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
OuSoonersGirl
I need a V-1 BAD!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I had both in my Sky. I didn't keep XM after 2 years but I did keep my OnStar and I will continue to. I love it. The reason is because I was going to see my mom in Dallas one day and I got lost in Oakcliff. I had my top down and I was running on empty. As I pulled on one of the streets there were 3 guys in one of those long cars (Buick or something- I only remember the HUGE rims), and they started to follow me. At a stop light they pulled beside me and was trying to talk to me. I just smiled, turned my head back to the ligh and prayed that dang light would hurry and turn green. Then they started to say crap like "you think you too good to talk to us?" blah blah. I started to get a little scared and FINALLY that light turned green. They pulled behind me and I turned on a street praying please dont run out of gas, not here. They turned behind me. Every freakin turn I took they took. I didn't even know where in the hell I was going I just kept driving wishing there was a gas station or a cop would pass by. I then remembered "ONSTAR stupid". So I push the red button and told them to help me get to a gas station and stay on the line with me because of the guys. She did. She got me to the closest gas station and didnt hang up with me until I filled up and then gave me directions to where I needed to go. When i pulled into the gas station those hoodlums turned on the street but went ahead kept going. They probably were just messing with me but still i was scared.

So YEAH I will definitely keep Onstar.
OuSoonersGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I don't think I will keep either of them. Never had them so maybe I will like it but probably not.
Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Outlaw

Drives: 2SS M6, IBM w/ Silver Rally
I wasn't very impressed with the XM so I won't be keeping it. I am keeping the Onstar though. I like the diagnostics and turn by turn and all that. It's not very expensive so IMHO its worth it.

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple

Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
XM is well worth the $77 "ZWINBACK" promotion for the first year.
When that's up, I may transfer my lifetime subscription from an XM2Go unit over to the Camaro.
Onstar is nice, but spendy. Of course it's worth it if you're in a collision.
Will probably only get a month of Directions & Connections when we go on a long road trip.

http://modernclassicsauto.com
'68 Chevelle Malibu Coupe; '67 Chevelle Wagon; '99 Convertible Camaro SS #0069; '07 Z06; '06 Silverado Crew Cab 2500 4x4 dually; '14 Sonic RS Hatchback
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
Lydon

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuSoonersGirl View Post
I had both in my Sky. I didn't keep XM after 2 years but I did keep my OnStar and I will continue to. I love it. The reason is because I was going to see my mom in Dallas one day and I got lost in Oakcliff. I had my top down and I was running on empty. As I pulled on one of the streets there were 3 guys in one of those long cars (Buick or something- I only remember the HUGE rims), and they started to follow me. At a stop light they pulled beside me and was trying to talk to me. I just smiled, turned my head back to the ligh and prayed that dang light would hurry and turn green. Then they started to say crap like "you think you too good to talk to us?" blah blah. I started to get a little scared and FINALLY that light turned green. They pulled behind me and I turned on a street praying please dont run out of gas, not here. They turned behind me. Every freakin turn I took they took. I didn't even know where in the hell I was going I just kept driving wishing there was a gas station or a cop would pass by. I then remembered "ONSTAR stupid". So I push the red button and told them to help me get to a gas station and stay on the line with me because of the guys. She did. She got me to the closest gas station and didnt hang up with me until I filled up and then gave me directions to where I needed to go. When i pulled into the gas station those hoodlums turned on the street but went ahead kept going. They probably were just messing with me but still i was scared.

That was a great story. . .Glad it turned out okay for you.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
Lydon

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
I don't care much for XM, so I will let that go - besides I have my iPod and cds if I don't want to hear commercials. I am seriously thinking about keeping On-Star, however, love the security and safety aspect of it. Also, some insurance companies offer discounts if you have it (mine doesn't, but I hope that'll change.)
Old 10-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
XM is off for the winter (not driving the car). Onstar is free for the 1st year and I will decide if I keep it. Car is used just for Friday night cruises, and car shows.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
camaro99

Drives: Angry Dorothy II 2016 2SS
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuSoonersGirl View Post

next time tell onstar to get cops to find u and give those guys a shake down
and a few tickets
camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote