Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Powertrain Warranty - What Are The Chances?

Sparked from a discussion w/ my dealer-turned-friend, BeckyD, I've been wanting to tune, but that pesky no-warranty situation has me on the fence. I'd like your thoughts/comments on what the odds are we'll need the powertrain warranty in the first 100,000 miles. (I'm at 23,000 now.) Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
well if you have the l99 the dod is shit! lol my thread they have had to replace it 2wice it seems and hasnt cost me a dime

it is written......
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
CamaroFemme

Yeah, I saw that, Anthony. It seems to be a freak accident on your car though, as I haven't seen anyone else here with that problem. :(

Ironically, if you had already tuned the AFM out it wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, glad that didn't cost you anything.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
When you read the fine print of the powetrain warranty it hardly covers anything. I've never used one; only the bumper to bumper. Anything that breaks after that never seems to be covered. I've replaced starters, engine mounts, electrical parts, etc and they're never covered. I won't wait until the bumper to bumper is up before I start modding but I want at least a few thousand miles.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
Yeah, I saw that, Anthony. It seems to be a freak accident on your car though, as I haven't seen anyone else here with that problem. :(

Ironically, if you had already tuned the AFM out it wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, glad that didn't cost you anything.
lol i would love to explain that one to gm as to why afm doesnt break anymore ( tuned out afm works as advertised)

it is written......
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
cleanwhiteSS
2011 White Camaro RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 White Camaro RS/2SS
Not on my Camaro it only has 750 miles on it. But two weeks ago I had to replace my water pump in my 09 Tahoe. They replaced it under the drivetrain warranty. Maybe little things but its nice not to pay for it.

2SS/RS M6, GFX, Borla Atak cat back,Blacked out tail lights, Heritage Grill, 20% tint, 5% on back, Hurst Short Thrower, Black Gills, SLP Shift Skip
cleanwhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
When you read the fine print of the powetrain warranty it hardly covers anything. I've never used one; only the bumper to bumper. Anything that breaks after that never seems to be covered. I've replaced starters, engine mounts, electrical parts, etc and they're never covered. I won't wait until the bumper to bumper is up before I start modding but I want at least a few thousand miles.
Powertrain warranties typically cover just components that produce power and transfer that power to the wheels. Unfortunately, that means that engine mounts and other parts outside the block won't be covered. It's usually good to get an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty if you intend to keep it stock for the life of your ownership.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Synner

Drives: cars
Sorry but extended warrantys are rip-offs. They wouldn't be offered if the dealership wasn't making a ton of money off of it. Thats why they push them so hard. I did the work myself and only paid for parts. I understand what the powertrain portion covers and thats why I say its a waste and shouldn't be the foundation for longterm modding decisions. It hardly covers anything and the dealer will try very hard to not honor it anyways.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
CamaroFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Sorry but extended warrantys are rip-offs.
I've never bought one for any car and doubt I'll ever will, but I always figured they were more of a "peace of mind" kinda thing.

CF
(Can't afford peace of mind.)