Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #57
Freebird

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE Camaro&16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
A large group of us went to a driving school this past weekend to "learn high performance driving skills."

During my 4th and final 20 - 24 min course run, my brakes hit the floor at about 80mph. Needless to say, I mumbled, "awe shit..." as we approached the corner. I pumped the brakes a few times and went into the corner with too much speed throwing me at the very edge of the track. Luckily, it was a corner that I could go into a bit faster...and not a corner that had a barrier, creek, trees, etc. It could have been bad.

So, with that happening and losing my brakes (so not cool), I figured my brake fluid began to boil. If that happens, condensation and air begin to build up in the lines. From here on out, I learned that my brake fluid will boil more quickly and my brakes won't work to the best of their "Brembo" ability. I can't ever let this happen again on ANY track or ANY street.

So, I bought Super Blue Racing DOT 4 brake fluid. Yes, the cap on the cylinder says DOT 3. This confused me and I wanted to make sure I was not about to screw something up. So, I began reading and reading.

In my search, I found this to be EXTREMELY helpful. I wanted to make SURE that everyone here go the same info I just had and was able to make a well informed decision on their own if they ever decide to head out to a "driving school," 1/4 mile track, road course, or plain flat out, RACE.

Check out the link here. It could SERIOUSLY help.

$129.00

Not bad.

Here's some more info for those wanting to know how to bleed those brakes.

Thanks you for this post!, I am going to Watkins Glen for driving school myself on Monday and I'm going to flush my dot3 and replace with dot 4 today!

"Never let fear decide your fate!"
Freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #58
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The only brake fluid in my cars or used In my shop os Castrol SRF. The wet bop of SRF is higher than most others dry boil. SRF is the most expensive going in, but the most economical over the long haul because it doesn't need to be flushed as often. SRF has been the gold standard broke fluid for racers longer than I can remember for these reasons.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #59
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
Thanks for the info. Great post for do it yourself'ers.
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote