Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #29
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
It's very possible....I think it's like I said before, the OEM intake/head combo is very efficient on the intake side of things. Clearly there's very little room to improve on the stock set up. Bigger cube motors will love the porting though. I lost 2 peak HP....also keep in mind that the pre porting pull was run out to 6299, post porting @ 5923. It's possible 2 rwhp may have been found if run out to 6299. Either way it's zero gain in HP when the vendor claimed up to 28 rwhp gain. While HP was down 2 it did oddly pick up 9 rwtq slightly earlier in the power band.

Bottom line is, I gained throttle response and 9 rwtq for $428. I'm pretty sure the expense does not justify the return. I'm just trying to prevent anyone else from suffering the same outcome.
Was a Vmax ported intake? I see they do those too.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #30
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Was a Vmax ported intake? I see they do those too.
Yup, intake + throttle body.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #31
Huggerorange73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Would like to see the AFR's for the runs.....I bet you could use a good tune. With both the TB & Intake you will need the tune optimized.
Just for giggles, before I post up the sheets...what would you suggest the A/F ratio be?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #32
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Just for giggles, before I post up the sheets...what would you suggest the A/F ratio be?

Don't be shy. If it's off you should be glad to find out sooner than later so you can get it fixed.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #33
Huggerorange73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post

Don't be shy. If it's off you should be glad to find out sooner than later so you can get it fixed.
It's not off...I know the number. I just want him to tell me first so there can be no debate after the sheet is posted. Follow me?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #34
Longhorn

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS RS L99
I will let others argue about the HP and torque gains, but without a doubt, my car now jumps off the line whereas before there was a hesitation that felt like the engin was bogging down. I love my VMAX.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #35
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
A/F ratio should be around 13:1 across the board. No richer than 12.8:1 no leaner than 13.2:1
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #36
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
So how is it that some people are experiencing 9 hp and 10 torque and some people are losing it? Bad TBs? Bad installation? Just normal dyno variance? I dunno whether to get this or not!
An M6 will see more than an auto. However a tune will make a dramatic difference in an auto. People who loose horsepower need a tune or have a bad port job. Stick with Vmax. If you have a cam you also want a Vmax ported intake. I picked up 15hp with TB and Intake, but I have a big cam. Stock car may feel more responsive with ported TB and good cold air intake. Ported intake manifold probably give more horsepower even on stock motor. Vmax is $150.00 for each with exchange.

Same dyno will give different readings with different tempature, humidity, etc. even with correction factor. I usually gain 5hp on the second pull because my motor runs better when the oil is hot. Water temperature can also make a difference.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #37
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis View Post
An M6 will see more than an auto. However a tune will make a dramatic difference in an auto. People who loose horsepower need a tune or have a bad port job. Stick with Vmax. If you have a cam you also want a Vmax ported intake. I picked up 15hp with TB and Intake, but I have a big cam. Stock car may feel more responsive with ported TB and good cold air intake. Ported intake manifold probably give more horsepower even on stock motor. Vmax is $150.00 for each with exchange.

Same dyno will give different readings with different tempature, humidity, etc. even with correction factor. I usually gain 5hp on the second pull because my motor runs better when the oil is hot. Water temperature can also make a difference.
Hmmm...having the L99, I wonder if I should hold off on the TB until I'm ready to tune?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #38
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Good post nuptual.

Femme, a tune is always best to optimize your mods and best is to wait and do your palnned mods together and get a good tuner. They vary from horrible to unreal with most in the middle. I fall into the middle personally. Do great with bolt ons, etc. but we use some of the best for big builds. Isee totally messed up tunes from some supposedly great tuners so make sure it is just not a few groupies recomending a tuner. Pick one with a great rep.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #39
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
VMAX worth the money. The VMax removed the stumble on initial acceleration.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #40
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
It's not off...I know the number. I just want him to tell me first so there can be no debate after the sheet is posted. Follow me?
Oh ha, I understand now; though I don't think that could really be the topic of debate, it's either right, a little wrong, or off completely.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #41
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Good post nuptual.

Femme, a tune is always best to optimize your mods and best is to wait and do your palnned mods together and get a good tuner. They vary from horrible to unreal with most in the middle. I fall into the middle personally. Do great with bolt ons, etc. but we use some of the best for big builds. Isee totally messed up tunes from some supposedly great tuners so make sure it is just not a few groupies recomending a tuner. Pick one with a great rep.
Hey SC! Thing is, one of the only mods I'm on the fence about is the tune, so I'm trying to do everything that doesn't require a tune first. I don't know many people here who have the cash to do all their planned mods at once. I'd still like to know from anyone who has an untuned automatic if it is worth it to get the TB. Even if HP/TQ is in question (as long as it doesn't drop, of course!), as inexpensive as it is, better throttle response would be worth it to me.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #42
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
Hey SC! Thing is, one of the only mods I'm on the fence about is the tune, so I'm trying to do everything that doesn't require a tune first. I don't know many people here who have the cash to do all their planned mods at once. I'd still like to know from anyone who has an untuned automatic if it is worth it to get the TB. Even if HP/TQ is in question (as long as it doesn't drop, of course!), as inexpensive as it is, better throttle response would be worth it to me.
I've been one fighting off the desire to tune, just in case of a warranty issue. I've gotten things that don't need a tune like SOLO high flow cats, 3 different intakes (currently running another Vararam) and of course the Vmax TB. What I'm finding is that if you get enough no-tune items you are going to need a tune...or at least want to.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote