Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
NO Dealer sales people coming to help the guy who looked broke in a wheelchair

I thought I might share my car buying experience when I went to get my car.
I went to the dealer with cash to buy a new ZL1 and normally when I used to drive up and get out of my car I would be flooded with sales people trying to get my business.
I have purchased 4 or 5 cars from this same dealer in the past,but in 2005 I was crippled.Anyway I rode metrolift there which is a direct ride to a destination for the disabled.I had my helper with me who helped push me from across the street and half way across the lot and right pass where all the sales people wait in golf carts.
I video taped myself thinking it was going to be the same old buying a new car thing,but turned into me sitting in front of the ZL1 for what seemed forever,30mins and they were less than 30-40yards away,till finally someone came to help me who walked out of the sales floor,and passed the other salesman with their feet up talking to each other.
It sort of shows that the program "WHAT WOULD YOU DO" MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO IT AFTER ALL ,LOL.
I KNOW WE CAN SAY WELL MAY BE THEY DIDN'T SEE THE BROKE LOOKING CRIPPLE IN THE WHEELCHAIR IN SWEAT PANTS AND A $5.00 T-SHIRT WITH THE SWEET OLDER LADY PUSHING HIM,but we rolled less than 20feet in foot of them as we passed by.
I let it go and just played it off as nothing happened being there are so many other more important things going on in this world,but some may say why post it then.Well being a disabled vet,and it being it was close to sept 11 I thought I would do it anyway just in case any others have dealt with the same thing. I spent over three hrs with the salesman who was a pretty decent guy,but I just didnt feel I was getting a really good deal,even if it was a vert ZL1.
I ended up going else where and purchasing A 2013 Vert ZL1 that night from a dealer and saving about 10k for one that had a couple thousands miles on it.
I dont think the reason I was not getting any help was because I was in a wheelchair,I just think it came down to the fact I looked broke,lol. The whole point of this post is that even though some may say Man that sucks,and it shouldnt happen to the disabled,I believe it comes down to as i said early there are so many other more important things going on, we shouldnt get upset over ever little thing that happenes,because i have much more problems in life than that,and learn to just be focus on the good,like i have great kids,beautiful grand kids,and hey I got a ZL1 anyway
A foot note to all of this is that after I purchased my ZL1 I went to FASTLANE here in Houston on a rainy day and NICK the owner came outside and stood by my car in the rain for over 20 mins talking to me about mods for my car,and afterwards he and the guys pushed another car out racked my car spent some time checking it over and then dyno it all for free just to make sure it was alright since I purchased it used.He offered to do this without my asking.SO I will say this FASTLANE made up for what happened at the dealer ,and showed me what customer service is.Fastlane also matched any price on parts i found on other web sites,and had no Prob;em installing my own parts. Fastlane earned my business ,and after checking them out on Facebook(i follow it from his web site) reading what his other customers said is the reason my car is sitting in his shop now.I can also tell you Evan from DEp3 is a stand up guy,and that's why i purchased his HEX,and his res because he took the time to come out to my car,and provide good customer service Also.IT "Takes a Yrs to build a good reputation ,and only seconds to destroy it".

Last edited by gen=5; 09-25-2013 at 04:32 AM. Reason: footnote
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
I think you're probably right about the appearance of money thing. I walked into a dealership in cargo pants, beater shoes and a t-shirt with holes in it. I finally got someone's attention because I wanted to open up the Zed in the showroom. I got that sour look of, "Tire kicker."

When I told him I was pre-approved and would drive it off, his tune changed. And so did mine. I drove off to another dealership an hour away. And bought the car there.

Dealerships are like any retail establishment. The level and quality of service vary widely. Vote with your wallet, just as you did. Enough people have those experiences and dealerships feel the pinch.

It improves the breed.

Glad you ended up getting the car and are happy with it. Drive by the other dealership a few times and honk every time. Or go buy the cheapest thing in the parts department. You know. Just to **** with them.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
well I do intend on going back there, because i want to get a car cover for it with the ZL1 printed on it if they have them
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
sporto20

Drives: 1. 2010 2SS (sold) 2. 2013 ZL1 M6
I secretly enjoy walking into the dealership in cargo shorts and my 13-year old fraternity t-shirt, and being mostly ignored, until I pick my choice then pay cash. The truth is, salesman know all too well that MOST people have done an extensive amount of research already, and therefore will have very little to do with "making a sale". I mean, we have already basically been in test drives already with you tube and GoPro cams, etc. My point is, I don't think your disability or appearance necessarily was a factor. My personal opinion is that, at least with new high-end cars, salesmen are useless. Thank you for your service BTW, we are all indebted to you!

Ported Supercharger, Snout and TB
Rotofab CAI
Kooks 1 7/8” Headers w/ high flow Cats
LPE GT9 Cam,
BTR Springs and Comp Pushrods
160 degree thermostat
2.55" Upper/9.1" Lower SC pulley w/ balancer
LPE solid isolator, ID850 Injectors
LPE heat exchanger w/ fans
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Custom Tune
sporto20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Hell no. Order the car cover from gmpartsdirect.com or some other online GM accessories dealer. Don't order it from the DB dealer that snubbed you. You'll save some $$ going online I'm betting.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
A good sales guy knows that all sorts of people have the bucks, no matter how they are dressed or act. Only idiots do this crap anymore.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
ntrimm

Drives: 2013 ZL1. Black on Black on Black
Thanks for your service. I greatly appreciate it. Some salesmen and dealers do profile and that sucks. But I think in most cases these days, they don't typically have an "up system" where they just stand around waiting like vultures to get the next customer. This is because most people shop online, send requests online and make appointments online so the salesmen are working their emails, text messages, etc. hopefully this was the case.
ntrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I did something similar back in my early 20's. My dad was talking to the Porsche dealer about a 928. He knew his salesman was out of town but decided he wanted the car. He wanted to see if the dealership would sell the car to a kid with a T-Shirt, cut off blue jeans and some pretty badly worn tennis shoes.

Well they ignored for a while till the sales manager came and asked why was I in his dealership. Told him I wanted to buy the 928, had a check and he could call the bank down the street my checking account was at. He sold me the car and the freaking other sales folks freaked out that they lost out.

Funnier yet was when the salesman my dad had been talking to came back to work he called my dad and said he was sorry but they sold the car while he was out. Dad said it was ok since it was his son they sold the car to.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black, 2015 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
well I do intend on going back there, because i want to get a car cover for it with the ZL1 printed on it if they have them
Given the way that your were treated, mail order it from Becky at Rodgers.
I was taken care of perfectly by my local dealership. The best buying experience that I've ever had. That said, because Becky does so much for C5 members, I ordered several ZL1-related products from Rodgers, that I could have purchased close to home, because of how she treats all of us.
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I went through a similar thing with a local dealer to me. This is a dealer that I had been to many times for parts and even went with my Grandmother and helped her buy a Cobalt which she stroked a check for.

I'm a typical T-shirt and Jeans kind of guy. I also make a fairly decent living and so does my wife we both have excellent credit also. I went in and told them the truth, I was on the fence between a Camaro and a Corvette. I wanted to test drive them both and see what I really thought of the two. Verdict? The Vette is sick and I would have loved one but I really need a back seat for my son. Well long and short they treated me like crap acted like I was a broke bitch and didn't do much to earn my business. I drove 35-40 minutes away to get my car from a bigger and better dealer. They KNOW how to treat a customer. I've also referred 3 sales to my salesman and drive all the way there to get ALL of my service and buy my parts.

I also make sure to give the other crappy dealer the finger every time I drive by it...
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
In 1981, my sister wanted a new Z. I, a constructiion worker, a friend, a welder, and my sister, a waitress, all still imn work clothes went to the chevy dealer in Turnersville N.J. After 10 minutes of no salesman coming over we left and she bought the Z the next day at another dealer!
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Don't waste your time going to dealerships. Do your research and communication online until you find what you want.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
ernie scar

Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford
Sorry to hear about your buying experience, unfortunately you aren’t the only one. What bothers me about some of these salesmen they figure they are doing you a favour by selling you a car.

It like listen hear buddy, if it wasn’t for me buying a car you would be out of a job.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
white ZL1

Drives: none
So...we've got salesmen who won't come out of the building but what about salesmen who JUMP at the sight of a car on the lot.
A couple of years ago I stopped at a local dealer to pick up something that I'd ordered from the parts department. To get to the parts door, you have to drive around back of the building and around the main car lot. I pull on the lot and down a short drive that gets you up to the main building, turn the first corner to get around back to the parts dept, and a salesman walks out the side door of the building and right into the isle I have to drive through. He walks right in front of my car, puts his hand up (as if to say: STOP), walks to the side of my car, and says "is there something I can do for you?".....
To which I politely respond, "Yes, you can get out of my so that I can get back to the parts department to pick up something that I ordered."
"Would you like to take a look at any cars?"
"If I did, I would have stopped to look at one. Or maybe even called ahead. Is it ok if I go pick up my part now?"
To which he says nothing, and backs away from the car.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote