Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-18-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
camaro noob

Drives: 2009 Honda Civic
I need help defending the Camaro

So I'm just sitting here, minding my own business, when all of a sudden my iPhone chimes and tells me that a friend of mine posted something on my Facebook wall. So I go to see what the heck it is, and it's this video about a 2011 Mustang racing and beating a 2010 Camaro. The video is called "2011 Mustang 5.0L vs Camaro 6.2L Drag Races" on YouTube.

I hope that link works.

Now my friend doesn't really care about cars all that much, she just posted it cuz she know how much I love the Camaro and how much this would bug me. But I'm kinda confused...I was under the impression that Ford made a 5.0L V6...right? So if that's the case, this video has be fake, there's no way a stock V6 is gonna beat a stock V8! But then again, I haven't been keeping up with Ford at all...for obvious reasons...so...is this new 5.0L TiVCT their new V8? If so, how much HP does it produce? Now I remember seeing a few stories on the homepage here about forum wars and how the Camaro was dominating over the Mustang. So...how is this happening here?

Another issue that was brought up by another, Mustang-loving friend of mine was cost. He got his V6 maybe 3 or 4 years ago, and is CONVINCED that the Mustangs are cheaper. I thought that was no longer the case. He says his car was way less than 22 grand, which I believe it prolly was at the time, but does anyone know how much the 2010 and 2011 V6 Mustangs were going for? I'm not talking about the lowered price that Ford dealers were giving to clear out the 2010's either.

These guys are my friends and all, but I still wanna shut them up about how the Camaro is "inferior to the Mustang." Any links, charts, info, comparisons, whatever you guys can come up with would be helpful. Now neither of these two people are hardcore car fanatics, so the info has to be pretty basic stuff that they will get. I don't hate the Mustang, I guess I'm an American Muscle Car fan in general, but I do want everyone to know that the Camaro is number 1 when it comes to American Muscle Cars.

Thanks for your help guys.
camaro noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
proj3ktpat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Stock for stock the 2011 mustangs are faster, and are more fuel efficient than the camaros. That new 5.0 liter is ford's v8 that they put in the mustang gt. It makes 412hp, and that combined with the weight advantage makes the mustang faster. The mustang's v6 makes 305 hp, and is a lighter car than the v6 camaro.

There is very little difference in pricing (mustang starts at 22,145 and camaro starts at 22,680).

The 2011 mustang is definitely a pretty impressive car, and i had a tough time choosing between the two when i was car shopping a couple weeks ago. In the end I chose the camaro because it is plenty fast and looks a lot better than the mustang in my opinion.
proj3ktpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
KungFuHamster

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro noob View Post
But then again, I haven't been keeping up with Ford at all...for obvious reasons...
you are a noob as your screen name says so i will try to be gentle. wait, im on a camaro forum i have to be sensitive to the OP's feelings

anyways...this sentence pretty much summed up your entire post to me.

why do you think a guy with a Mustang (me) is on here? because i want to learn and know as much as possible about the 5th gen Camaros so i dont look like an ass. theres nothing wrong with knowing a lot about your car of choice (Camaro in your case, Mustang in mine). however, if i get out run by a Camaro i will at least have solice in knowing what the car is capable of to begin with. what im saying is, its fine if you want to defend the camaro...however its best to know the car youre defending it from...you never know.

i have a question camaro noob and answer me honestly. if you had an LS3 Camaro with a stick shift and i have my car...lil ole 281 ci that it is and we raced and whooped you...would it bother you how i beat you or would it be the simple fact it was a mustang that did it? because its been my experience (with the LS1 crowd) that when i would wear them out (in my first mustang...a 2001 GT) they would get very, very butt hurt.

which reminds me...i need to register on the challenger forums...hope theyre not too sensitive...

oh and poj3ktpat's information is correct.

Last edited by KungFuHamster; 06-18-2010 at 03:07 AM.
KungFuHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #4
camaro noob

Wow, Ford really stepped up their game, huh. Well it's a good thing I haven't replied to the video yet, I would have totally said something to make myself look stupid. I really hope Chevy steps up to the plate as well, and not just with their potential Z28, but across their entire lineup, from their base V6 on up.

I'll admit I actually like the look of the 2011 Mustangs, but I still flip out every time I see a Camaro. They are just so freakin beautiful. And where I live, a new Camaro sighting is still pretty rare.

Oh well. One o' these days I'll win a lottery or two...or three...and then I'll have my dream Camaro. And she can post all the videos she wants on my wall, I will still look a helluva lot better in my Z28 Camaro than she will in her 09 Honda Accord...

Ok, who am I kidding, I'm totally gonna win 4 lottos!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
KungFuHamster

Quote:
Wow, Ford really stepped up their game, huh. Well it's a good thing I haven't replied to the video yet, I would have totally said something to make myself look stupid. I really hope Chevy steps up to the plate as well, and not just with their potential Z28, but across their entire lineup, from their base V6 on up.

I'll admit I actually like the look of the 2011 Mustangs, but I still flip out every time I see a Camaro. They are just so freakin beautiful. And where I live, a new Camaro sighting is still pretty rare.

Oh well. One o' these days I'll win a lottery or two...or three...and then I'll have my dream Camaro. And she can post all the videos she wants on my wall, I will still look a helluva lot better in my Z28 Camaro than she will in her 09 Honda Accord...

Ok, who am I kidding, I'm totally gonna win 4 lottos!
like i said...theres nothing wrong with loving and defending your beloved Camaro.

however, theres no sense in throwing any time someone posts a vid of stang beating a camaro. it happens...its part of racing.

you just have to learn to ask the right questions and get to the bottom of it. sometimes the explanation is very simple.
i saw a vid of 69 Camaro walking the shit out of new Camaro. but if you watch the vid the 2010 Camaro lit the tires up. spinnin aint winnin
Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 AM   #6
camaro noob

Haha thank you KungFuHamster for being so gentle. The only Mustang info I get is the occasional info posted on this forum. But after I win my 4 lottos I will certainly take more initiative in researching the other cars. But honestly, I'm leaning towards the Camaro just cuz it's so flippin beautiful. I don't really care about racing it, I just wanna look at it, modify it's appearance here and there, and then marry it. That's all. So I prolly will end up ignoring the Mustang, but not cuz I'm a hater of it or anything, I'm just not in love with it, ya know?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
KungFuHamster

Quote:
Haha thank you KungFuHamster for being so gentle. The only Mustang info I get is the occasional info posted on this forum. But after I win my 4 lottos I will certainly take more initiative in researching the other cars. But honestly, I'm leaning towards the Camaro just cuz it's so flippin beautiful. I don't really care about racing it, I just wanna look at it, modify it's appearance here and there, and then marry it. That's all. So I prolly will end up ignoring the Mustang, but not cuz I'm a hater of it or anything, I'm just not in love with it, ya know?
i do understand. and theres nothing wrong with you choosing the Camaro over the Mustang. there are people out there picking the Challenger over both...id never, ever do that. but thats just me. all 3 are great looking cars and all 3 have pros and cons.
but its always good to have as much knowledge as possible so youre not just one of "those types".
Old 06-18-2010, 03:31 AM   #8
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Just tell them the camaro has a special feature where it transforms
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #9
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
The 2011 Stangs are very potent. I think their styling is a step backwards however so I am just fine with my 2010 2LT RS. The only visual improvement I see in the 2010 style redux are the sequential taillights. Those are cool I will admit but I do not like the front end or the smooth fender flares. They strike me as change for change's sake. Overall the 2009 version looks much cooler. Performance wise they are a solid counter punch to Chevy's staggering left jab last year. We are the winners here.

Hopefully Chevy will get busy with some weight reduction on the Camaro as the Stangs are several hundred lbs lighter.

One thing to consider is aftermarket parts. Where I live there seems to be very few stock Mustangs or Camaros so I guess it all depends on what's been done to the motor under the hood.

I'm with you Camaro Noob. The Camaro is way better looking than the Mustang at the moment.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
Kycamaross
RED JEWEL inthe BLUEGRASS

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 01 S-10 Xtreme
I must say that the civilized conversation you two just had was a breath of fresh air. It was kind of nice to not see the Atypical "Your mustang or camaro sucks" rhetoric. And Noob, good luck with your future "baby" (Z-28?). And you might want to check with your state's laws. I'm pretty sure marrying your car is not legal, but then again it is 2010...
Kycamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:19 AM   #11
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
5 liter V6?? No. The 5.0 is their V8. It's actually got a little displacement over their last motor, which was 4.6. They used that motor for years... I believe their new 5.0 makes about 416hp at the crank.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:28 AM   #12
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
5 liter V6?? No. The 5.0 is their V8. It's actually got a little displacement over their last motor, which was 4.6. They used that motor for years... I believe their new 5.0 makes about 416hp at the crank.
A swing....and a miss...little behind the pitch on that one lol
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #13
dmiller66
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '13 2SS/RS, Blue Ray Metallic, Auto
There are some other important aspects to consider here. Which one turns heads? Camaro. Which one is loved by people of all ages? Camaro. Which is selling without any incentives? Camaro. Which one has the ladies telling you what a sexy car you have? Camaro. Which one has total strangers just wanting to get a glimpse of your car? Camaro. Which one will have people stopping you almost everywhere you go to ask you questions about your car? Camaro. Yeah.
dmiller66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #14
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller66 View Post
There are some other important aspects to consider here. Which one turns heads? Camaro. Which one is loved by people of all ages? Camaro. Which is selling without any incentives? Camaro. Which one has the ladies telling you what a sexy car you have? Camaro. Which one has total strangers just wanting to get a glimpse of your car? Camaro. Which one will have people stopping you almost everywhere you go to ask you questions about your car? Camaro. Yeah.

I say just let the Mustang people buy their Mustangs. Another Mustang on the road is just another drop of water in the ocean.