Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Bone Stock

Drives: 2015 Z28 Red Hot #1179 (sold)
Track time means BOOM!

So a buddy I've met over this past track season has one of the coolest wrapped Z28s out there. Not only does he drive his Z like it deserves to be used, he is a super nice guy!

His trailered beast travels inside the back of his custom RV on his way to Northeast Hooked on Driving events. With just 7k miles on the odo, I saw him at this weekend's finale event at Watkins Glen!

What no one expected was his car to suddenly stop at the track. I told truck went out to go get it, only to determine that his car could not start anymore. A quick inspection showed no leaks, but his oil level was very high and milky indicating most likely a blown head gasket.

That's forward to two days later, the dealership said that the motor was blown, and it was not covered under warranty. They claimed excessive use.

What exactly is track use? Light use?

Where is Al Oppenheimer when you need him? Didn't you say that even track occurrences were covered? If they can't break it at the track neither should we?

Is the Z28 a "a few track events" car? what constitutes too many? What constitutes excessive?
Attached Images

'15 Z28 Red Hot #1179 (sold)
'14 ZL1 Summit White, Recaros, 6M (sold)
Bone Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
He should contact chevy customer service directly if the dealer is not helping him. The Z/28 is warrantied on the track as well, assuming your buddy has not modified it at all.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
Bone Stock

Drives: 2015 Z28 Red Hot #1179 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
He should contact chevy customer service directly if the dealer is not helping him. The Z/28 is warrantied on the track as well, assuming your buddy has not modified it at all.
Modified, slightly. Roll bar, seats, harness and camber plates.

Engine and drivetrain is stock.

I'll have him contact Chevy customer service!
'15 Z28 Red Hot #1179 (sold)
'14 ZL1 Summit White, Recaros, 6M (sold)
Bone Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
4 FN 27

Drives: 2015 Z28
Something is not right there. I pitched the Number 6 Rod out of mine and they stood behind it. Had the car back in 10 days with everything new from the Air Cleaner to the Cats.

Don't try the case on the Internet. Get in contact with GM Customer Service.

I have absolutely no complaints on how GM took care of me.
4 FN 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #5
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
My guess is that if his car didn't have the decals and roll cage, they'd warranty it. Although the Z/28 is a race car for the street, that car looks like and all out race car. Which they're probably thinking it gets the shit beat out of it on a daily basis...But, since the mods he has done don't affect the engine of transmission, why would appearance matter? I don't know. Try a different dealer?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
It's hard to know without knowing exactly what caused the engine to blow, but I'd definitely take it straight to GM because, as you said, the car was built for the track. Heck, I've heard of gen 5 Z06 engines being replaced even when the computer analysis confirmed driver error.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
It's hard to know without knowing exactly what caused the engine to blow, but I'd definitely take it straight to GM because, as you said, the car was built for the track. Heck, I've heard of gen 5 Z06 engines being replaced even when the computer analysis confirmed driver error.
On the warrantied engines: Are you saying they were covered from a mechanical over rev by the driver shifting into too low of a gear where the rev limit won't save you?

If I was a manufacturer, I sure would not cover that.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #8
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
On the warrantied engines: Are you saying they were covered from a mechanical over rev by the driver shifting into too low of a gear where the rev limit won't save you?

If I was a manufacturer, I sure would not cover that.
Yes... I personally know of one situation where an engine was replaced after an accidental downshift into 2nd at well over 100 MPH. In that case the relationship with the dealer played a major role in the outcome, however.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 PM   #9
SumWhite1LE
King of All

Drives: 2014 Summit White Z28 #275
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...to-a-racetrack
SumWhite1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #10
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
As I found out, it only matters what is in the warranty book...period. If it is not covered IN WRITING...good luck as GM wields the "abused" axe at will. Most of the z28's that have had grenaded engines have been covered but I know personally of 1 who went kaboom on the track (with 1500 miles on the clock and was not a money shift) and they said Sorry!

Find a better dealer and try again. I spent 100k in 1.5yrs at my PREVIOUS dealer and they still refused to warranty an obvious issue with my 1LE's transmission, so I found a new dealer and unfortunately a new MFG too.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #11
s.hammer

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Love to hear what determines excessive use... Every time I have been to the track, I have see guys tracking C5 Z06s with stock motors that have never had an issue.. Those guys have a lot more than 7000 miles and 2 years worth of track days on their cars. Excessive use might be a good way to get out of covering a brake or suspension issue, but a stock motor with only 7000 miles without consistent over revving really should be covered.
s.hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
That sucks...

The 427 curse strikes again.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #13
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Yes... I personally know of one situation where an engine was replaced after an accidental downshift into 2nd at well over 100 MPH. In that case the relationship with the dealer played a major role in the outcome, however.
I'm sure it happens and was not questioning the validity of what you were saying, just seeing if we were talking the same failure mode. Personally, I would never seek replacement of something I scattered that was directly my fault.

The only reason I've been window shopping on a Z28 is the reasonable +/- warranty if stock and tracked per the guidance in the owner's manual.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #14
aris

Drives: Z/28
They should cover it - I know of at least a few Z06 that popped motors on the track within warranty and it was fully covered, and thsoe cars had aftermarket coilovers. Definitely get in touch with customer service ASAP.
aris is offline   Reply With Quote