Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Tony88

Drives: Mazda3
Importing Camaro into Canada

Hey guys.

I was just wondering if it is hard to import a camaro to Canada. There are some pretty amazing deals from people on these forums, but not many from Canada. Is it easy enough to get it done? I know there are fees for transporting it here, but what about taxes and whatnot? Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks for the help
Tony88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Everest

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 Rally Yellow Sun Roof
pm sent
Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
GTRDIABLO

Drives: Black with silver stripes and 22s
Just did it wasn't hard at all. Get the title to the border 72hrs in advance. Stop at US customs before Canadain and get the title stamped. Get your GM dealeer to get the recall letter for you. Pay the GST at the border and PST if you don't live in Alberta. Then complete RIV forms on line pay your $209 dollars in RIV forms. Send recall letter to riv. Go to Canadain tire with your RIV form then get the outta province. Get your plates. DONE! www.riv.ca
GTRDIABLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Bourgui

Drives: 1LT/RS, VR, GFX
Smile

As GTRDIABLO detailed it.

It may sound a little scary at first, but it's really not that complicated. I know, I did it 3 months ago

One word of caution though, I would only buy from a reputable dealer. I wouldn't risk an individual unless you're 100% sure you can trust them, I've heard too many stories.

Also, as mentioned, you'll need to provide the US border crossing you will use the car's paper at least 72 hours before you plan on crossing. Not necessarily too easy to arrange.
And, the recall letter costs $250, just so you know. The dealer can order it or ask you to do it (through this website)

The savings are worth it!
Bourgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Everest

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 Rally Yellow Sun Roof
Did you guys have to do anything with your DRL's or did they pass the Canadian Tire inspection?
Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
GTRDIABLO

I didn't do anything with DRLs. So not a damb thing to do the canadain tire passed and a 156 dollars for the outta province. You can get any dealer to do the recall letter. If you guys have trouble let me know. I can get you one.

As far as buying from a dealer not a big deal unless you don't go get the car yourself. Which I would never do. Bought probably six cars in the US but went and picked them all up. Not really that big of a deal to rive it home this time of year.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Tony88

Drives: Mazda3
Yeah that is true, as long as it wasn't that long of a drive. Ok I will continue to look into it. Do you guys know of a good dealer to buy from?
Tony88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Bourgui

Drives: 1LT/RS, VR, GFX
I did have to snip one of the wires - there's a post somewhere on here that shows you which. It'll depend on the CT you go to, some might not bother checking. I asked the guy when I got there was he was gonna check for, mentionned the DRLs, so I said "OK, I forgot some stuff in the car", went in and snipped the wire.

That's all though.

In terms of dealers, I dealt with Ricart from Columbus, Ohio, they had a sweet deal for a "used" Camaro that only 200 miles on it. The guys were nice, and the Camaro was flawless. Took a bit of organizing, and I did need to keep on top of things, but as long as your bank isn't half as dumb as mine, it should be mostly pain-free
Bourgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourgui View Post
As GTRDIABLO detailed it.

It may sound a little scary at first, but it's really not that complicated. I know, I did it 3 months ago

One word of caution though, I would only buy from a reputable dealer. I wouldn't risk an individual unless you're 100% sure you can trust them, I've heard too many stories.

Also, as mentioned, you'll need to provide the US border crossing you will use the car's paper at least 72 hours before you plan on crossing. Not necessarily too easy to arrange.
And, the recall letter costs $250, just so you know. The dealer can order it or ask you to do it (through this website)

The savings are worth it!
Give Becky at Rodgers Chevrolet a chance to earn your business, and she's close to your turf...

Her contact info at:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93327
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
If they check the DRL the car will fail.

Get the Recall Letter from a USA dealer or the selling dealer and save the $250.00 as there is no charge in the States.

Base W kicks in at 6 months .
Old 08-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Remember your warranty here in Canada will not kick in for 6 months and about 17,000 KM (verify the KM as I remember it is high). As little as I drive it would have taken me over 2 years to hit the KM before my warranty kicked in and I am a US citizen, Canada permanent resident status, living in Canada. I verified this with GM Canada so therefore I sucked it up, paid more, and bought in Ottawa.

You have to pay all Ontario taxes at the Canadian border plus import fee which I think import fee is still under $200. They calculate the taxes at the Canada border. Your title must arrive at your selected border crossing 72 hours in advance so if you mail it have it sent Registered Mail. Must have the GM Recall Clearance Letter with you when you cross into Canada. Also must show proof of insurance on the Canada side which is simple. Just ask your insurance agent to give you a letter, on their letter head, indicating make and model of the auto you are importing and effective date of coverage (suggest date you actually pick up the car in the states). Once the car is in Canada you can supply your agent with copy of title with VIN #. Then rest is simple at the Canadian border. Also, in advance ask your US dealer to supply a state registered 30 day temporary tag (proof of insurance required, see above). You do not have to pay any taxes in the US as you are exporting the auto.

Might seem a little complicated but it is not if you have your paperwork in order and my experience exporting from the US to Canada only takes about 3 weeks of preplanning to get all paperwork in order before crossing the border.
STEPS:
Title to US border crossing 72 hours in advance (check US Gov. Website for exporting autos). You stop at the US border, declare you are exporting the auto, and they stamp your documents. Suggest you have 30 Day State issued temporary tag registration which your dealer can supply.

Proceed to Canada border and declare you are importing the auto.
Submit, title (cleared/stamped at US border), “GM recall clearance letter”, proof of insurance letter from your agent, your drivers license. Be prepared to pay in full all Canadian taxes and minor import fee so either use a credit card or call Canada border crossing in advance to verify payment options.

Canada Customs agent records your documents, take your money, and send you on your way to Canadian Tire with other documents.

Canada Tire, very simple. Car must have DRL (arrange for you US dealer to take care of Day-Time Running Lights in advance), Speedo can be read KM per hour (my 2011 does this, suspect 2010 models do as well), and verify the auto has something called a rear seat child safety restraint. When I imported my 1998 Riviera, back in 2005, Canadian Tire sold me a bracket for $7.95 and dropped it in the trunk. Told me the law was this bracket had to be in the car, not installed on the car (LOL).
With your stamped documents from Canadian Tire, proceed with all documents to get the car registered in Ontario, same as any other car.

As others stated, might sound complicated but it is not as long as you follow the steps and get your paperwork in order, in advance. I have imported 2 previous cars from the US and always cleared both US and Canada customs in fewer than 40 mins. Never spent more than 20 minutes at Canadian Tire before I had every document stamped so I could proceed to get license plates.

To buy a new car from a US dealer and export to Canada takes about 3 weeks to get all your paperwork together if you want a smooth/trouble free export/import transition.

Before you import a GM vehicle into Canada please be aware of time frame (6 months) and KM restrictions before you can get warranty work in Canada. GM Canada does not approve of people buying their products in the states.
Ford has no cross border warranty restrictions and that is why I seriously considered buying a Mustang in the states. In the end, preferred the Camaro, so I paid more than $4000 in Canada for my 2011 then I would have paid for the same Camaro in the US because GM Canada has cross border purchase warranty restrictions.

abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
GTRDIABLO

My dealer was in North Dakota. He was awsome and he can find you anything you want. Sould be about a 36 hour drive for you.
Dvorak Motors 701 223 8554 talk to Cliff Honn he can ship it to you also.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:58 AM   #13
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
I think you will find the KM is 12.000 (not 17,000)