Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #5363
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
SuperCruise does indeed track your eyes, so if you're looking down at a phone screen it would theoretically detect it and start throwing a hissy fit. I mean the only way I can think of to fool the system is have the phone or whatever essentially sitting on the dash in front of the driver.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #5364
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
it says on their website: "Your complete attention is required at all times while driving, even while using Super Cruise. it mentions nothing of haptic feedback through the steering wheel. the reviews of the system correlate with the website in that it isn't to be "hands-on"

there is plenty that can be done with cameras to determine where your focus "is" for a given period of time
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #5365
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I just re-read my post, and my wording in the last paragraph is kinda confusing.

What I meant is that it should be pretty difficult to fool/trick/deceive a camera based 'attention monitor' into thinking that you are focused on the road when you really aren't. This is good, it should be hard to cheat the system.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #5366
FenwickHockey65

From a recent review of SuperCruise:

Quote:
I tried to trick it. I held my phone and began texting, first in front of the steering wheel, then off to the side. I wore four different pairs of sunglasses. No matter what I did, the disengagement warning went off. I even tried something innocent and reached for something I'd dropped on the floor of the passenger footwell. No go. The system knew. The red bar on the steering wheel started to flash, and I grabbed the wheel to keep the system engaged—though I didn't actually have to go that far. If the driver simply refocuses his attention to where it's supposed to be, the warnings stop and the system remains engaged, with no need to make contact with the steering wheel.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #5367

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
From a recent review of SuperCruise:

The novelty and surprise of a red flashing light on the steering wheel will soon become old hat and likely ignored long enough to continue texting...and if you just don't refocus and the steering wheel flashes, what else is there if you continue to ignore it?....Probably not much....The car will crash to teach you a lesson?

Texting and Smartphone use will win out eventually over a crying-wolf flashing steering wheel band of light....Likely the car will continue to drive on it's own long enough safely to finish a task on the smartphone....

I wish them luck, but if they think they can overcome the temptation, habit, and addiction of using a smartphone while driving, and having your hands off the wheel doing nothing...I don't think they realize the creative resourcefulness of the social media, smart phone using drivers...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #5368
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The novelty and surprise of a red flashing light on the steering wheel will soon become old hat and likely ignored long enough to continue texting...and if you just don't refocus and the steering wheel flashes, what else is there if you continue to ignore it?....Probably not much....The car will crash to teach you a lesson?

Texting and Smartphone use will win out eventually over a crying-wolf flashing steering wheel band of light....Likely the car will continue to drive on it's own long enough safely to finish a task on the smartphone....

I wish them luck, but if they think they can overcome the temptation, habit, and addiction of using a smartphone while driving, and having your hands off the wheel doing nothing...I don't think they realize the creative resourcefulness of the social media, smart phone using drivers...
Remember, Super Cruise is programmed to operate primarily on highways. The car will alert you to take control. If you do not, it will turn on hazards, slow you down, and safely pull over onto the shoulder of the road.

From a review of the system in “The Drive”...

But continue to ignore warnings, and Super Cruise clearly informs the driver that he needs to reassert control, and the system disengages. If the driver fails to heed escalating visual, auditory, and sensory warnings (the latter a vibrating driver's seat) and does not physically take the wheel, the Cadillac will ultimately come to a stop, turn on its hazards, and summon help via its OnStar connection. Hey, you could be having a seizure or something. (Insert Cadillac-Ft. Myer's-retiree joke here.)
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #5369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

Remember, Super Cruise is programmed to operate primarily on highways. The car will alert you to take control. If you do not, it will turn on hazards, slow you down, and safely pull over onto the shoulder of the road.

From a review of the system in “The Drive”...

But continue to ignore warnings, and Super Cruise clearly informs the driver that he needs to reassert control, and the system disengages. If the driver fails to heed escalating visual, auditory, and sensory warnings (the latter a vibrating driver's seat) and does not physically take the wheel, the Cadillac will ultimately come to a stop, turn on its hazards, and summon help via its OnStar connection. Hey, you could be having a seizure or something. (Insert Cadillac-Ft. Myer's-retiree joke here.)

That's good news, and all nice warnings and features....but how much time and how soon they take affect will determine how much texting, etc. can be done without real consequences....Game on!...lol
Old 06-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #5370
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
The race to be the most accommodating to the ignorant and lazy continues with vigor.

I have asked this simple question a dozen times, and yet no one has answered it. Why? Why has millions of dollars and man hours been used for things like “Super Cruise”?

Ahh yes, the oh so noble rush to autonomous cars so blind people can be driven around. How many cars is that? There are already things like Uber to handle the other idea put forth like drunk drivers. So all that development costs gets passed to us to once again reward those who shun personal responsibility. Awesome.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:45 PM   #5371
FenwickHockey65

Honestly, after the last road trip I completely understand the appeal behind SuperCruise. After an hour into the drive I was wishing Enterprise rented out CT6 Platinums.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #5372
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
The race to be the most accommodating to the ignorant and lazy continues with vigor.

I have asked this simple question a dozen times, and yet no one has answered it. Why? Why has millions of dollars and man hours been used for things like “Super Cruise”?

Ahh yes, the oh so noble rush to autonomous cars so blind people can be driven around. How many cars is that? There are already things like Uber to handle the other idea put forth like drunk drivers. So all that development costs gets passed to us to once again reward those who shun personal responsibility. Awesome.
Good to know that its actually for blind people who don't want a taxi.

Here I thought the goal of autonomous cars was to prevent tens of thousands of deaths per year (in the United States alone) and millions more injuried. Even ignoring the tragedy of death, look at it from an economic perspective. Every year, tens of billions (hundreds?) are spent on treating the injured. Billions more are lost due to disability, either temporary or permanent. There's probably a few billion spent just replacing cars that have been totalled. If autonomous cars could simply halve the accident rate, and then diminish the severity for those that were unavoidable (death becomes serious injury, minor injuries become nothing) it would be a huge economic boom.

But sure ... the goal is to make people lazy.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #5373
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

So they’ll never again be a single fatality once your draconian utopia becomes a reality? Good to know.

Safety. The key buzzword in the erosion of personal liberty.

I’d go into all the reasons how safer cars have INCREASED the amount of poor drivers and bad manners, but it really becomes irrelevant. I’m glad you are ok funding a system that allows the driver to eat his Big Mac while “driving” down the interstate. I’m more of a fan of personal responsibility and holding people accountable that doesn’t require the removal of personal liberties.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #5374

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Good to know that its actually for blind people who don't want a taxi.

Here I thought the goal of autonomous cars was to prevent tens of thousands of deaths per year (in the United States alone) and millions more injuried. Even ignoring the tragedy of death, look at it from an economic perspective. Every year, tens of billions (hundreds?) are spent on treating the injured. Billions more are lost due to disability, either temporary or permanent. There's probably a few billion spent just replacing cars that have been totalled. If autonomous cars could simply halve the accident rate, and then diminish the severity for those that were unavoidable (death becomes serious injury, minor injuries become nothing) it would be a huge economic boom.

But sure ... the goal is to make people lazy.

So safety is the goal? Then why isn't this eye-ball detection with alerts, sounds, stimuli, etc., used full time all the time with the hands on the wheel? And keep the driver's attention on the road, not something else? Why is it only coming about so you can do fewer driving functions by taking your hands off the wheel? Is there a push to disable SmartPhones and hand-held devices inside the car in the interest of safety?

Instead of trying to determine what the driver may be up to, the hand held devices could be disabled in the interest of safety when inside the car by this available technology.

Creating a system allowing the driver to take his hands off the wheel and continue driving, then touting safety is just amazing. It's a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by 90503; 06-06-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #5375
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Exactly.

I’m sorry but I’m never going to go along with your reasoning DG. It reeks of big brother protecting us from ourselves. Trust us. We’re the government. We know what you need.

I’m a realist. I know people and the abuses they take if they get the chance. 21+ years in law enforcement in a small-mid size city (130+k) taught me all I need to know about noble intentions and realistic outcomes.

And as far as understanding crashes and engineering, I was a certified collision reconstructionist before moving up to an executive level position, not just some “ordinary” beat cop taking out of his ass.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #5376
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Exactly.

I’m sorry but I’m never going to go along with your reasoning DG. It reeks of big brother protecting us from ourselves. Trust us. We’re the government. We know what you need.

I’m a realist. I know people and the abuses they take if they get the chance. 21+ years in law enforcement in a small-mid size city (130+k) taught me all I need to know about noble intentions and realistic outcomes.

And as far as understanding crashes and engineering, I was a certified collision reconstructionist before moving up to an executive level position, not just some “ordinary” beat cop taking out of his ass.
is there a requirement somewhere that says you HAVE TO buy an autonomous vehicle?

if there was a requirement then i would definitely agree with you on the 'erosion of personal liberty', but, you can still go out and buy a Hennessy Corvette and crash it into a wall if that's what makes ya happy
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions