Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
Datalog and Tune

Quick question for anyone to answer.

I already have an RDP email tune in my car and wondering if datalogging my car would make a difference in my tune.
I would really like to have it dyno tuned, but the fundage is not available and Steve @RDP does free tunes when you buy from him. (So I am on that train)

Let me know.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Datalog it and send it to Steve. Datalogging is just that - recording data that shows what is going on with the car. With the data, a tuner can make necessary adjustments.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Yes datalogging and adjusting is important. You can see how your car is fueling, whether it's too rich or leaning out, if the timing is too aggressive, or not aggressive enough. Takes a few trial and errors when you mail-order to get it dialed in.

Pretty much you start off with a safe tune, then dial it in to how your car is adjusting to it.

I highly recommend doing routine maintenance before datalogging. Plugs/wires, trans and diff fluid, a fresh oil change.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
Thank you everyone. I will contact steve and see if he does datalog tunes,
Old 05-31-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
don't be surprised if he tells you the tune is fine and you don't need adjusting. i got that a lot when asking if he could review datalogs for changes that need to be made for new parts (ported TB, tb spacer/wedge, rodmod intake manifold)

i even offered to pay for a tune change a few times... no changes.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #6
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
don't be surprised if he tells you the tune is fine and you don't need adjusting. i got that a lot when asking if he could review datalogs for changes that need to be made for new parts (ported TB, tb spacer/wedge, rodmod intake manifold)

i even offered to pay for a tune change a few times... no changes.
I dont know him, but I will defend him here.

I had what I would call a negative experience with Tampa Tuning. We just didnt get along. We data logged back and forth and I wasnt happy with the way the car felt at idle, or partial throttle and wanted him to continue working.
He felt there was nothing more he could do and we parted ways on unfriendly terms.

I took my car to a well know tuner and had it dyno tuned.

It made 2 HP MORE on the Tampa tuning file. Yes, they adjusted my idle and made some little minor drive-ability tweaks, but it wasnt worth the $500.

Point is, the combination of parts that you or I place onto our cars, can only be calibrated so well. My cam for instance is a 110. Its narrow, and its gonna have adverse effects that a tuner cant fix completely.

If a tuner wants your business, they'll say "Yes, you can benefit from a tune with that new ported TB". If a tuner already has your money, they'll say "a retune isnt necessary for a ported TB"

and unless there are associated CEL's I tend to agree. A retune isnt needed there.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
I dont know him, but I will defend him here.

I had what I would call a negative experience with Tampa Tuning. We just didnt get along. We data logged back and forth and I wasnt happy with the way the car felt at idle, or partial throttle and wanted him to continue working.
He felt there was nothing more he could do and we parted ways on unfriendly terms.

I took my car to a well know tuner and had it dyno tuned.

It made 2 HP MORE on the Tampa tuning file. Yes, they adjusted my idle and made some little minor drive-ability tweaks, but it wasnt worth the $500.

Point is, the combination of parts that you or I place onto our cars, can only be calibrated so well. My cam for instance is a 110. Its narrow, and its gonna have adverse effects that a tuner cant fix completely.

If a tuner wants your business, they'll say "Yes, you can benefit from a tune with that new ported TB". If a tuner already has your money, they'll say "a retune isnt necessary for a ported TB"

and unless there are associated CEL's I tend to agree. A retune isnt needed there.
i get that those parts don't require a retune, but a retune will help and if he offers free ones i kind of anticipate one. but i guess for $160 what should i really expect?

how well can hp tuners read a pcm/ecm that has a sct tune on it?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
Old 06-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
i get that those parts don't require a retune, but a retune will help and if he offers free ones i kind of anticipate one. but i guess for $160 what should i really expect?

how well can hp tuners read a pcm/ecm that has a sct tune on it?
You do have a point. It's very attractive advertising. I'm sure if you ask again, he would make a tune change, but I wouldn't waste either of your time.

Good luck.

Oh, I have never used SCT, but I would imagine that HP Tuners can read the modified tune just fine. My tuner uses EFI live, and I read/write/adjust his tune files no problem, with my hptuners pro

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4wheeler View Post
Quick question for anyone to answer.

I already have an RDP email tune in my car and wondering if datalogging my car would make a difference in my tune.
I would really like to have it dyno tuned, but the fundage is not available and Steve @RDP does free tunes when you buy from him. (So I am on that train)

Let me know.
So you basically have a ported TB, LT Headers and a Roto-Fab. That combination is so common for him to tune there probably isn't anymore you will get out of it.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #10
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
That combination is so common for him to tune there probably isn't anymore you will get out of it.
if he actually took the time to tune his customer cars there shouldn't be any changes required for bolt-ons. but the man does not take time to tune your car (if he does it is very little time). he removes torque management, any and all o2 dtc's (including bank 1/2, sensor 1 codes while they're still being used!), and the 4 dtc's that have to do with banks 1/2 going too lean/rich

i never had to provide him with a datalog and all of his tunes were "good to go" per him. maybe he likes you or something and is willing to work with you but he never wanted to work with me on my tunes.

OP if you are at all serious i would ditch RDP and get a competent tuner working with you. you should be sending a datalog to your tuner after a tune revision so he/she can check it for accuracy and to be sure it is all working correctly