Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
FSTORG5
Fast Orange

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Manual Trans leak on the top side

First let me say that this is an awesome car and I have had zero problems since I picked it up in April, a little over 6,000 miles today.

A few of weeks ago during an oil change I noticed a drop of trans fluid hanging on the bottom of the trans case. I could not see where it was coming from and there have been no drips on the garage floor, so it is a small leak. I wiped it off good and decided I would check it again after a few miles. Since there isn't any on the floor I forgot about it.

I remembered today and ran it up on the ramps to check. Sure enough there was a hanging drop again. I tracked it up the side of the trans case as far as I could reach and it seems to be coming from the top side. Maybe a gasket around the shifter? Has anyone else come across this? I haven't seen any posts for ZL1 or SS for this issue. Any other possibilities?

I will take in to the dealer eventually, but thought I would see if anyone else has seen this. Thanks.
FSTORG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
SlugWound

Drives: Chevrolet's
Not heard of this, but let us know what you find out.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...very good first hand report of a particular mechanical issue reported by the owner. A seal or gasket. Let us know, thanks for your post. BTW, get another sample, rub it vigorously inbetween your fingers, and try to determine whether or not it smells like engine oil or gear lube.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
FSTORG5
Fast Orange

After a drive again yesterday, no drips. I can't see the bottom of the trans without running it up on ramps so I don't know if there is any more fluid hanging after just 50 miles.

It was clean and red. Definately not engine oil.

Looks like tomorrow may be the last day before winter storage, so I probably won't take it to the dealer until spring.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSTORG5 View Post
First let me say that this is an awesome car and I have had zero problems since I picked it up in April, a little over 6,000 miles today.

A few of weeks ago during an oil change I noticed a drop of trans fluid hanging on the bottom of the trans case. I could not see where it was coming from and there have been no drips on the garage floor, so it is a small leak. I wiped it off good and decided I would check it again after a few miles. Since there isn't any on the floor I forgot about it.

I remembered today and ran it up on the ramps to check. Sure enough there was a hanging drop again. I tracked it up the side of the trans case as far as I could reach and it seems to be coming from the top side. Maybe a gasket around the shifter? Has anyone else come across this? I haven't seen any posts for ZL1 or SS for this issue. Any other possibilities?

I will take in to the dealer eventually, but thought I would see if anyone else has seen this. Thanks.

You are taking the right steps by getting this issue addressed at a dealership. Please let us know any updates/outcomes you may have. We are available at your convenience!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Is this an Automatic ZL1, or manual trans? Thanks
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
FSTORG5
Fast Orange

Title quote: "Manual Trans leak on the top side"
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Title quote: "Manual Trans leak on the top side"
..he said it was red....engine oil and manual trans fluid on the ground are different shades of brown and viscosity.....
Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
FSTORG5
Fast Orange

I am the OP. The fluid was red. Nothing on the ground or floor. Still on the trans case and clean. Viscosity and color appeared similar to auto trans fluid. But this is a manual, so I assume the OEM manual trans oil is red?

I followed the trail up the side of the case and it was coming from the top side near the shifter. I couldn't see it at the top, only feel it.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I'd take it in before you store it. It's definitely not going away.

and thanks for posting up.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
FSTORG5
Fast Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'd take it in before you store it. It's definitely not going away.

and thanks for posting up.
Yea, I know it won't go away, i just won't have time to get it in there before the weather really turns. Winter storm warnings for later this week.

I would rather get it resolved though, because I know it will be on my mind all winter.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
FSTORG5
Fast Orange

I called the dealer today and the shop manager got me in for a look to see if they could tell what was going on. (I have bought many vehicles at this dealer and she is one of the reasons I keep going back ) By using a camera they said there was a vent on the top that the fluid appears to be coming from. Probably stuck open. That is the good news. The bad news is to replace it the trans has to come out. Even though I have a history with this dealer I am really not looking forward to them tearing down my baby. :( One of the techs said since it was a good weather car, they could keep it for a while and work it in. I told him that would not be happening. Well, now that I know it isn't really an emergency and a winter storm coming in tomorrow it will wait until spring now. Time to do a little research, and way too much time to think about it... Anyone have any experience with a vent on Tremecs? How about a picture showing the top side and the vent? Or better yet a magic way to fix without dropping the trans? Thank in advance.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
I called the dealer today and the shop manager got me in for a look to see if they could tell what was going on. (I have bought many vehicles at this dealer and she is one of the reasons I keep going back ) By using a camera they said there was a vent on the top that the fluid appears to be coming from. Probably stuck open. That is the good news. The bad news is to replace it the trans has to come out. Even though I have a history with this dealer I am really not looking forward to them tearing down my baby. :( One of the techs said since it was a good weather car, they could keep it for a while and work it in. I told him that would not be happening. Well, now that I know it isn't really an emergency and a winter storm coming in tomorrow it will wait until spring now. Time to do a little research, and way too much time to think about it... Anyone have any experience with a vent on Tremecs? How about a picture showing the top side and the vent? Or better yet a magic way to fix without dropping the trans? Thank in advance.

Well please let us know what you decide to do. We are here at your convenience if you have any questions. We apologize for your frustrations.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
OldScoolCamaro

...gear lube, the last time I knew of it in the dark ages, was thick, stinky, and brown. Power steering fluid was red....auto trans fluid was red....fluid under pressure, operation of the vehicle, stopping, starting, sitting at idle, aero dynamics and wind/air flow over and underneath the vehicle, and other dynamics will make it move all over the place and follow trails beyond logic and reason.