Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-08-2022, 03:16 PM   #1
kurmaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS
Solution to a rodent chewing on my fuel line?

So long story short, a rodent chewed on my fuel line and coolant tank in the engine bay (SS if that matters). Is there anything I can wrap the new fuel line with that will help deter anymore chewing?
kurmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:38 PM   #2
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
I've read about manufacturers using soy based plastic products for a lot of their wiring. I've also heard about special sprays that you can use, but I've heard people insist that rodents are drawn to the spray. Have you thought about getting a cat?

https://www.amazon.com/Exterminators.../dp/B01DTBOV06
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #3
CamaroFanatic1

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro
I've had success using this ultrasonic repeller under the hood - https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/3...a-39509a162b7e
Connected to a $70 harbor freight battery that I charge once per month. Also, mix mint oil with water and spray on and around the car....
My incident happened with a discovery of a nest and some chewed through headlight wires (luckily that is all it was).

There is special rodent-repelling tape but I think keeping them out is better (unless you want to wrap a lot of stuff).
CamaroFanatic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #4
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
https://rainbowtech.net/products/mice-rat-bait/

They sell smaller, I just have a big garage and it's in a rural area.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
The old ways are still the best ways. Place a few of these around your garage (you DO garage your LT1 I hope!) Bait them with peanut butter and dried fruit. Nothing more satisfying than a confirmed kill. Little Bastards!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
OP: you haven't told us whether your car is in a garage.

If indoors, you need poison and snap traps. You need to declare war on rodents and never let up. If your garage is attached to the house, this means that the battlefield includes the entire building.

Getting a professional exterminator would be a good idea.

Even if you car is in the driveway, wiping out the rodents in the house can help.

Also: don't keep snacks in your car. If you have been eating in the car, stop doing that and give the interior a deep cleaning.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:26 PM   #7
kurmaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
OP: you haven't told us whether your car is in a garage.

If indoors, you need poison and snap traps. You need to declare war on rodents and never let up. If your garage is attached to the house, this means that the battlefield includes the entire building.

Getting a professional exterminator would be a good idea.

Even if you car is in the driveway, wiping out the rodents in the house can help.

Also: don't keep snacks in your car. If you have been eating in the car, stop doing that and give the interior a deep cleaning.
Whoops, I forgot to say that the car sits in the driveway. I have never seen a rat or mice in my house or in the neighborhood outside. I am 80% sure it was a squirrel, as there also a small branch right by the fuel line so it must have been trying to make a home for itself. Also the fact that squirrels love biting things for their growing teeth, hence why the coolant overflow vent and fuel line was chewed.

It's rather hard to set up traps or spray things outside, so I was just thinking if I could wrap the fuel line with something that is strong.
kurmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:28 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
You could deploy some hungry cats, too.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:45 PM   #9
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Call this guy...

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uplo...ack-gif-11.gif
Old 02-08-2022, 08:02 PM   #10
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
I used to have wild rabbits that would chew up my front lawn. Then the HOA threatened me with a fine because my front lawn had patches where the stupid ****ing rabbits ate through all the grass. I hid in my bushes with a 4 foot long piece of rebar and when a wild rabbit got within 5 feet of me I threw the rebar at it like a javelin. Then I tied the rabbit by its hind legs and dangled it from a tree in my front yard. No rabbits ever ****ed with my front lawn again. Then I got fined by my HOA for displaying a dead rabbit.

Don't know if rats are that smart, but you could try killing a few of them and leaving their dead bodies on stakes like a warning to the other rats. Julius Caesar did something similar for his coronation.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:14 PM   #11
TexasRed5.9

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxspeedspec View Post
I used to have wild rabbits that would chew up my front lawn. Then the HOA threatened me with a fine because my front lawn had patches where the stupid ****ing rabbits ate through all the grass. I hid in my bushes with a 4 foot long piece of rebar and when a wild rabbit got within 5 feet of me I threw the rebar at it like a javelin. Then I tied the rabbit by its hind legs and dangled it from a tree in my front yard. No rabbits ever ****ed with my front lawn again. Then I got fined by my HOA for displaying a dead rabbit.

Don't know if rats are that smart, but you could try killing a few of them and leaving their dead bodies on stakes like a warning to the other rats. Julius Caesar did something similar for his coronation.
You sir are my new hero. I will reference this when my wife asks me to explain the crucified rats lining our driveway...
Old 02-08-2022, 08:20 PM   #12
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurmaro View Post
Whoops, I forgot to say that the car sits in the driveway. I have never seen a rat or mice in my house or in the neighborhood outside. I am 80% sure it was a squirrel, as there also a small branch right by the fuel line so it must have been trying to make a home for itself. Also the fact that squirrels love biting things for their growing teeth, hence why the coolant overflow vent and fuel line was chewed.

It's rather hard to set up traps or spray things outside, so I was just thinking if I could wrap the fuel line with something that is strong.

I once had a squirrel chew through plug wires to make room for a nest, made out of insulation it ripped out from the underside of the hood. The nest was right in between the broken wire ends, so I like to think the litle bastard learned its lesson at the exact moment I found out about it. (It was gone when I opened the hood and never came back).

Good news is it could have just been an isolated occurrence. Been parking the daily drivers outside for almost 20 years, and something like this has only happened to me once.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:13 PM   #13
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
HOT ONES - THE LAST DAB

I put NC Reapers around my house (cut) and things just seem to go away.

USE GLOVES AND DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE!

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:08 AM   #14
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurmaro View Post

Nah, you gotta go to the next level. These Havaheart traps are available at Ace Hardware and come in various sizes. I've had squirrels digging under my foundation and rabbits eating my spark plug wires. I catch the offending critters and then give them an all expenses paid trip out to the desert where they are magically transformed into coyote turds.
Attached Images