Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
Jallen32

Drives: 2015 camaro SS
SS lover

Hey Guys, I have always loved the Camaros since the 1st Gen. Ever since the 5th Gen got released and i seen bumble in transformers, I fell in love with the SS 10x more. My question is did anybody ever just want the SS Camaro specifically, I love all camaros V6's to the Zl1. But all i ever wanted was an Super sport, nothing more and nothing less. Just something about the super sport heritage and what it stands for that keeps me hooked. Just wondering if i was the only crazy one, who goals was to never get a Zl1. Seems like thats everybody's end goal of some sort lol. Also I love a naturally aspirated V8.... Music to my ears. Like i said i love all camaros though
Jallen32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I had only 2 pre-requisites when I went hunting for mine as a bare minimum...

Had to be a V8, had to be manual... everything else was icing on the cake.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I had only 2 pre-requisites when I went hunting for mine as a bare minimum...

Had to be a V8, had to be manual... everything else was icing on the cake.
I'm with him. Those were my goals. Then I found a low mile 2SS RS in mid winter that they wanted to get off the lot. Perfect car and perfect opportunity for a deal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
dporter6
Wicked_2SS

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS
I agree , I always loved the SS line . From the chevelles, trailblazer and etc. It was my dream car since high school.
dporter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Perfectly content with my SS!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
First off, welcome to the forums! This is quite an interesting question for a first post!

I would say no, you're not crazy. Personally, I wanted an aqua blue metallic Camaro. It had to be a V8, I preferred a manual, but the color was everything. What I have is a SS, automatic, aqua blue metallic Camaro. My trade off for not getting a manual was that it was "supposed" to be my wife's daily driver. This lasted all of 2 months tops and then I got to commandeer the vehicle for myself. I've often thought about adding a supercharger, but after having added a cam this winter, I think that I may end up stopping where I'm at, at least for the foreseeable future with my second child on the way any day now. All that being said, if there was a factory aqua blue metallic ZL1 out there I probably would have pushed for it. The magnetic ride is enough to have me want a ZL1, but I really can't complain because my car is a comfortable road trip car.

As for heritage, yes the SS is more widely known, but do not discredit the heritage of the ZL-1. The original 69 1969 ZL-1 cars were beastly and held many drag racing records for many years. Big block power with small block weight. It was a hard combo to beat!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I guess I fit in that category. I doubt I’ll ever be able to use all of the capabilities of a stock SS - no need for anything more and I’m content. I’m going to get better shocks and maybe a cat back but no real performance upgrades. IMO, the Z28 and ZL1 are overkill for regular street use.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #8
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
My plan was to get a brand new 5th gen while they still made them. Since I didn't want to sell my GTA, I got the V6 model. However, knowing that, I looked for a manual to make it more fun to drive.

Also, to some extent, I was thinking about the almost $5 a gallon gas that I was paying when I had my V8 Titan. So, I wanted something that would get better fuel economy as well.

If and when I ever decide I need more power like a V8, I'll get the Overkill stage 3 supercharger kit.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 PM   #9
Jallen32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
First off, welcome to the forums! This is quite an interesting question for a first post!

I would say no, you're not crazy. Personally, I wanted an aqua blue metallic Camaro. It had to be a V8, I preferred a manual, but the color was everything. What I have is a SS, automatic, aqua blue metallic Camaro. My trade off for not getting a manual was that it was "supposed" to be my wife's daily driver. This lasted all of 2 months tops and then I got to commandeer the vehicle for myself. I've often thought about adding a supercharger, but after having added a cam this winter, I think that I may end up stopping where I'm at, at least for the foreseeable future with my second child on the way any day now. All that being said, if there was a factory aqua blue metallic ZL1 out there I probably would have pushed for it. The magnetic ride is enough to have me want a ZL1, but I really can't complain because my car is a comfortable road trip car.

As for heritage, yes the SS is more widely known, but do not discredit the heritage of the ZL-1. The original 69 1969 ZL-1 cars were beastly and held many drag racing records for many years. Big block power with small block weight. It was a hard combo to beat!
I think the Zl1 is a super legendary car, and i respect it all around as well.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #10
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Yes, I was set on getting the SS as well. Like them all and could have bought any one I wanted; after checking them all out, even the refreshed versions that had just come out, the 'original' 5th Gen SS had and was everything I wanted .. still is.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #11
Jallen32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
I guess I fit in that category. I doubt I’ll ever be able to use all of the capabilities of a stock SS - no need for anything more and I’m content. I’m going to get better shocks and maybe a cat back but no real performance upgrades. IMO, the Z28 and ZL1 are overkill for regular street use.
Im a person who will never take my car to the track or anything like that. I might hit 125 on the highway every now and then, but thats the most "racing" i would be doing. So anything more then a SS is just useless in my situation, because it would be just wasted power.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
Jallen32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
My plan was to get a brand new 5th gen while they still made them. Since I didn't want to sell my GTA, I got the V6 model. However, knowing that, I looked for a manual to make it more fun to drive.

Also, to some extent, I was thinking about the almost $5 a gallon gas that I was paying when I had my V8 Titan. So, I wanted something that would get better fuel economy as well.

If and when I ever decide I need more power like a V8, I'll get the Overkill stage 3 supercharger kit.
V6 is plenty power for the street bro. I had 2 V6's before my SS, that v6 was so much fun and i still never got to use all the power it had. I had some good times in my RS man.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #13
Jallen32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Yes, I was set on getting the SS as well. Like them all and could have bought any one I wanted; after checking them all out, even the refreshed versions that had just come out, the 'original' 5th Gen SS had and was everything I wanted .. still is.
I swear bro all i wanted was a 5th Gen fully loaded 2ss. Nothing more nothing less. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #14
Jallen32

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
Perfectly content with my SS!
Agreed. Your car looks sick BTW!