Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
1st ever post! Questions about lots of things, MRT V1 especially

Happy Easter everyone! First off, this site is simply awesome with the all information and all the vendors offering out deals and help. I've been here over a year and never registered til now, i just read posts for hours trying to decide parts.

Anyways! I have 2013 Camaro LS V6, camaro was a dream car since a child . I wanted to start this and add a bunch of the mods I have done and am in the process of doing to help others as they have helped me. So many more updates to come! Ordering a MRT V1 today as well if somebody's open! (deals, vendors??) If not, sadly I guess it can wait til tomorrow I'm running a roto-fab CAI and LOVE IT, I haven't taken a photo of that though. I also painted under my hood, but think i want a darker blue and want to re-do it, time will tell.

Dumbest question. What is drone? I have never had a performance exhaust and I have no idea what anyone means by drone. I drive with my windows down a lot as it's always sunny in Colorado. But, I also always have my music way up so I don't think it's something I'll notice?

I want to do a full in-depth installation before/after with the exhaust so anyone on the fence can hear the differences as deciding on an exhaust is frickin difficult!

Does anyone have problems running 20's? Do you burn through the tires a lot on the rears? I've never had an issue with low profiles but i have some friends saying don't do 20's because I'll be buying tires every 15,000 miles.

I also have goals of halo foglights, halo headlights, striping, rims and tires and various other little modifications.

Added a few photos of my pride and joy!
Attached Images

Last edited by Camarolover85; 04-20-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: adding text
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Hello and Welcome to Camaro5. Glad to hear you bought a Camaro. If you take a look at the sticky threads at the top of this section there is one that list many of the mods for our V6 Camaro's. There is another good list over on the LFX page too, which will be even more specific for your Camaro.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16893

GREAT choice on the MRT 1.0, other good choice is the MRT 2.0. Contact Chase at APEX for all your mod needs, he will take care of you.

Your engine cover and fuse box cover look good. Nice job.

Drone is a sound that you can feel thru out the cabin and can hear. Some people it bothers some it doesn't, everyone takes it differently. For the MRT's we can feel and hear it when cruising at 70 mph and notice it slightly more if accelerating uphill at that speed. For me it was no big deal.

Running 20's is no issue for our V6. I am running 20 X 9's. Using a General GMax tire 275/40/20 all four corners. I will get 40K miles out of them.

Mods can be very addicting. Be sure to have a plan laid out before you start so you don't have to re-do some of the mods after changing your mind on something.

Click on the my build thread link in my signature to read about all my mods.

If you should have any further questions, please feel free to contact me thru a PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
"Welcome to the party, pal."
-John McClane
Old 04-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
"Welcome to the party, pal."
-John McClane
Thanks!! Glad to be here!

mods - can we move this to the LFX forum? My bad, I'm new!

@RTCAT- Ha! I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum! I've had my Camaro about a year now but love every second of it. Thanks though. I'll have to take some more photos after I get back in there (been waiting for warmth) to paint the CAI and everything. I've actually seen your posts a lot, if I remember correctly i was listening to one of your exhaust videos earlier today. Ive seen so many i forget whose is whose lol. Your car is awesome, I love the red on black, I'd like to do black rims as well. Thanks for the info on the tires, now i can settle on a rim and get a price point so I can save up a bit!

I actually last second changed my mind on the MRT's. Reading about the drone it just scared me off. Plus, people couldn't make up their mind on if the V2 had drone or not. Because if I hate it, I have an exhaust that's $500 that I can't stand. I really wanted the low end rpm and idle sound, but the idea of that drone just scared me off too much. So I settled on my 2nd choice, which was Dynomax VT's 38493. Very similar to the MRT V2, but (hopefully) without the drone! I was able to get Jegs to price match at $398.15 shipped with a $75 rebate so that to me was a KILLER deal. If I don't enjoy them, I have 90 days so that helped calm my nerves a bit.

I'll update with the exhaust soon! Next weekend can't come soon enough now. Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #5
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Thanks!! Glad to be here!

mods - can we move this to the LFX forum? My bad, I'm new!

@RTCAT- Ha! I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum! I've had my Camaro about a year now but love every second of it. Thanks though. I'll have to take some more photos after I get back in there (been waiting for warmth) to paint the CAI and everything. I've actually seen your posts a lot, if I remember correctly i was listening to one of your exhaust videos earlier today. Ive seen so many i forget whose is whose lol. Your car is awesome, I love the red on black, I'd like to do black rims as well. Thanks for the info on the tires, now i can settle on a rim and get a price point so I can save up a bit!

I actually last second changed my mind on the MRT's. Reading about the drone it just scared me off. Plus, people couldn't make up their mind on if the V2 had drone or not. Because if I hate it, I have an exhaust that's $500 that I can't stand. I really wanted the low end rpm and idle sound, but the idea of that drone just scared me off too much. So I settled on my 2nd choice, which was Dynomax VT's 38493. Very similar to the MRT V2, but (hopefully) without the drone! I was able to get Jegs to price match at $398.15 shipped with a $75 rebate so that to me was a KILLER deal. If I don't enjoy them, I have 90 days so that helped calm my nerves a bit.

I'll update with the exhaust soon! Next weekend can't come soon enough now. Thanks again!
When it comes to drone it's a very personal thing... it's not that people can't make up their mind whether it drones or not.... it's whether they find it tolerable or not... two people can ride in the same car... one will hate it say the drone is unbearable while the other person will love it and say there is very little drone.... in the case of the MRT V2s, i would say the vast majority love it while a few find the drone intolerable....

Basically though, pretty much all aftermarket exhaust are going to have some level of drone... i've ridden in cars with drone-free exhausts and while the drone may be minimal it is still their...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

I don't necessarily think it's something that would drive me insane. I've had friends who have had exhausts and clearly I didn't even know it was happening. But it being my personal vehicle and I drive a lot of highway I just decided to go the route of the least possible. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake and I am satisfied with my choice! Time will tell! At this point, anything is better than the stock mufflers.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
The MRT V1 is going to have more drone and a louder note than the V2. That being said, some mind it, others don't. Either way, if you don't like it and can't return it, crap like that is candy on the forums.
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
I have the MRT V1's and I love them. I've always had performance exhausts on my vehicles (my dad did on his when I was growing up as well) so to me "Drone" is just the exhaust doing it's job. Either way I think you'll be fine though.

The mod bug, she is a strong one.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

True, I know I could have sold it. But I didn't want to go that route and have to deal with any of that, one and done (hopefully).

Either way, I went with the dynomax, merely because it has a good sound and it's $200 cheaper than the MRT V2. $200 almost covers the striping I want. So that for me made more sense.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Congrats and welcome!

If you get an aftermarket exhaust and have drone issue just upgrade your audio like I did...see below.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Haha true that! I always have loud music on. Except for late nights when I just enjoy listening to my car. Lol even the v6 sounds sexy to me.