Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #29
smokeyfan1000

Drives: Volvo 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by '11CamaroLS View Post
the LFX is new but from my understanding its not a whole lot different then the LLT. so i mean its not like its completley new and not something thats been building over the years ya know. i think the problem is it was a Lincoln DOHC engine not that its just a DOHC engine lol j/k
From a company(Ford) that has been doing DOHC V8 for a long time now, it should not have broken a chain at 140,000 IMO.

Pretty pissed about it actually. Especially since they had just replaced a tensioner/shoe or whatever & told me the chain was in fine shape 15,000 miles ago.

Therest of the Lincoln LS is in near perfect condition too Interior, body & all. it was very well equipt too. much too nice to send to the crusher.
smokeyfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #30
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyfan1000 View Post
I've got them down to $27,490.00 + taxes & fees on a 1LS and add leather seats, by a trim shop for $1120.00 and a rear view camera in mirror for $480.00, add the $499.00 for dealer prep(too much IMO) & 118.95 for tags

Grand Total to drive away is $29,707.95 Does that sound like a good deal for a 2012 camaro v6?

Total is
That is very high for 1LS.....I've seen them as low as 23,000 around here. 1LS are manuals, 2LS, about a grand more, are the autos.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #31
smokeyfan1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
L99 auto is a modified LS3 (same block). It runs a VVT cam with different cylinders, lifters and compression ratio. It also incorporates AFM (Active fuel management) This cuts power to 4 cylinders at slow, steady and cruising speeds. Basically it was to avoid having a gas guzzler tax on the Auto. The L99 has slightly less HP but, is quicker off the line as it has different gearing. 0-60 the auto is faster. 1/4 mile the LS3 catches up and is roughly the same or a tad faster with a good driver who can hook up.

So the VVT has different 'cylinders" or you talking about the piston's cylinder bores? What is different about the lifters? Still rollers?

And I take it they dropped the CR lower than the LS3?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #32
smokeyfan1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyChamp06 View Post
That is very high for 1LS.....I've seen them as low as 23,000 around here. 1LS are manuals, 2LS, about a grand more, are the autos.
Oh, my goof, it's a 2LS with added aftermarket leather. I'm still trying to get time to look at the camaro booklet I got today.

I'm a bit surprised about how little of the mechanical details the salesman has/seems to know about the engine and such. Considering it's Terry Labonte's Chevy Dealership, I'd have thought they'd been more informed.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #33
smokeyfan1000

Also, saleman told me today that the 4 gauges on console is not a dealer installed option & has to be ordered that way/factory installed. IS this CORRECT? And is available with the 2LS camaro?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #34
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyfan1000 View Post
Also, saleman told me today that the 4 gauges on console is not a dealer installed option & has to be ordered that way/factory installed. IS this CORRECT? And is available with the 2LS camaro?
4 pack gauges are part of 2LT and 2SS trim BUT you can order the gauges (with trim) and install them yourself (or have dealer install them if you don't feel confident to do it yourself). They are plug and play.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/GM...s-92247189.htm
Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #35
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
All the LS based motors will last for a long time with basic maintenance. My TA (LS1) is at 173K miles with absolutely no motor issues.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #36
PLuche

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT manual
I have had my Camaro for 4 months with 10,141 Miles on my LFX and so far it has been great for me! Honestly I think I would rather get the Challenger if it was priced under $24,00 just because its a V8 and it also looks great!
PLuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #37
FRSTR90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS, 1973 Corvette
Please do not listen to any dealer or car salesman... I hate to say it, but most of the time, they're completely ignorant! If you really want to learn about the car, you need to study them.. An easy way to do that is by going to:

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-perf...eatures-specs/

Then once you do that, It wouldn't hurt to look thru eBay. You're not looking to buy. You look thru eBay Motors to observe.. The reason why I recommend eBay is because you can easily observe what people are asking for their cars (for example, Buy It Now price). Since they are trying to sell you a car on the internet, some post very detailed pics which allow you to also observe the different models (2LS, 1LT, 2LT, 1SS, 2SS). When I say observe the different models, I mean look at everything. For example, the cloth used on the 2LS is different from the cloth used on the 1LT and 1SS. The shifter on the 2LS is plain and does not have the stitching on the shifter ball. The door panel and dash inserts are different different from 2LS, 1LT, and 2LT. Some of those things may not bother you, and to others, like myself, it is all about detail.

Then after you've learned the car, build the Camaro that you want using Chevy's website. Don't pay attention to the price or the cost of the upgrades that you would to make. After you've done that, print it off or save it. I would then build another Camaro. Except this time, it will be cheapest one that you can build (2LS, 1LT, or 1SS). Then scroll the forum and ask questions.. If you haven't checked the DIY threads, you're missing out.. There are some guys doing amazing things with their cars that some wouldn't imagine. At this stage, what your doing is looking at what others have done to their cars to give you ideas on what you can do to your car to build you ultimate dream car. Also, this allows you to look at what a base car costs and then you can see how much it will cost you to do the upgrades yourself rather than buying it that way from the factory.

If I were in the market for a V6, I'd be buying a 1LS. I would be dismantling that interior to make it what I want. Then I would make the minor changes to the exterior to suit it to my liking.

I believe that part of the fun of owning the Camaro or any other muscle car is being able to work on it and making it your own masterpiece. Now to answer your question about the 4 auxiliary gauges, you can install them in your 1LS, 2LS, 1LT, and 1SS. It is so easy. It shouldn't take you more than a half hour. I bought mine from Gene at GM Parts House. It cost me a total of $320 shipped to my door. This is why I highly recommend that you spend some time in the DIY threads and elsewhere on this forum because you'll find things that you can do to your car that the dealer will straight up tell you that cannot be done.
FRSTR90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #38
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Overhead cam engines have been hit-or-miss on timing chains. Ford's 4.6 runs 200k easily in the early models, but later ones have had chain issues. GM's 3.6's have had issues that cause chain replacement before 100k. Volvo's and Saabs have had different issues. Saturns had issues. Audi likes belts, but look out if they let loose(that recomended change interval is not the lower limit). Mercedes had chain issues, but they always blame that on slovenly American maintenance.
All of the car companies are coming out with a new batch of engines, and true engine life will take 10 years or so to determine.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #39
FRSTR90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS, 1973 Corvette
One more word of advice.. If you decide on the Camaro and you chose the 2LS, do not upgrade the wheels. Keep the car with the heritage rims! GM will charge you an extra $4-5000 to upgrade to the 20's.. You can find a set of 4 all day on eBay for about $1500 with tires and tpms all included! The heritage rims would be great to put on the car in the winter! The stock Pzeros are horrible on cold roads and can be dangerous in snow! I got stuck in snow one time and couldn't drive above 20 mph as the moment i would try to accelerate my car would turn sideways!
FRSTR90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #40
J666

Drives: Camaro
You can find a lightly used SS (2010, 2011) for 25K if you looked hard. Is that not an option?
J666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #41
powerslave
Assembly: April 12/12

Drives: A Self-Propelled Mechanical Vehicle
What tastes better an apple or an orange?
powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #42
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
There were issues with the timing chains on the earlier LLTs (like mine). That was fixed later in 2010 and I don't think anyone with the later cars have had the problem. There is another issue with the LLT related to the tensioner being hydrolic only, but as long as you don't let the oil level get low then you should be good there. Now, I would assume the issue with the timing chain was not reintroduced in the LFX and I don't know if they use springless tensioners or not, but I would assume it is every bit as reliable as the later LLT engines. We've got quite a few members with 60+K miles on them, but the LFX is so new it would just be a guess as to how reliable it will be. So my advices is, buy what you want and can afford, keep it stock and use the warranty if anything breaks.