Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Are all our GM friends safe from the layoffs?

I was just wondering if all our great GM friends are safe from the recent round of layoffs that Fitz...has called for. My thoughts and prayers are with all because after all the years of dedicated service I am sure that many friends of theirs have been affected. Best regards to Fbodfather, Number 3 and the many other great people that we have all come to know and love.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
I was just wondering if all our great GM friends are safe from the recent round of layoffs that Fitz...has called for. My thoughts and prayers are with all because after all the years of dedicated service I am sure that many friends of theirs have been affected. Best regards to Fbodfather, Number 3 and the many other great people that we have all come to know and love.
i completely agree! i think the only safe GM employee is the one involved in this Camaro project.................job security.

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
80% of the people I know who work(ed) at the big three are either laid off, retired early or let go. Same with those I know who work in shops in manufacturing. I feel so terrible for anyone who loses a job during times like this. Its got to be hard on those who are still working there too because they live in constant fear that they might be next. They said all the conference rooms at the tech center are booked for the whole week, which means more people will be called in and let go.

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
fastball
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I spoke to Scott and John Fitzpatrick briefly about this when I met them at the Cleveland Auto Show. I told Scott he needs to still be with us next year so he can sign my Camaro

Now, that was back at the end of February. At that time, I think GM was sort of in the mindset that their restructuring plan would work. The govt. had yet to reject it.

I think the Camaro team has LESS of a chance of getting laid off than others, but it is certainly not a zero chance. While I would hope no one on the team is asked to leave the company, it is possible.

OTOH, those in the BPG divisions should have their resumes up to date and their suits cleaned and pressed.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
80Zedder
Cheif Pounderhard

Drives: 80camaro/Avalanche/srt8charger
Those layoffs are for management only. Detroit head office mostly. If you ask me that number is way to low still. They should put me in charge of GM, they would be turning a profit inside 2 months.
80Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Zedder View Post
Those layoffs are for management only. Detroit head office mostly. If you ask me that number is way to low still. They should put me in charge of GM, they would be turning a profit inside 2 months.
No they wouldn't. They'd be losing money from all the free Sleemans you'd be handing out to employees.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '16 ATS 2.0T & '17 Buick LaCrose
Quote:
So what is your 2 month plan? Maybe Fritz and the team down town working with the 15 guys appointed by Obama haven't considered it. And, oh by the way you start out owing the government 15 Billion or so.

I wish it was as easy as you think, but I doubt my assurances would sway you.

And by the way it isn't "head office" only. That I can assure you.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Enlighten us?
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
No I agree with Number 3 on this....All the reports I have seen indicate that cuts will be coming from factory closures as well. Just this week was white collar workers from Detroit. Closings at plants will happen to try to pressure UAW into consolations. I would expect those announcements very soon. As a GM stock and bondholder I am somewhat confused. I have not been sent any kind of a notice on my bonds asking me to convert to stock which is what I thought was the intention. I proudly support GM and its employees. And I would be more than willing to convert my bonds if it were to help the company survive. I actually have purchased more stock in the last 30 days to do my part in showing support and trying to keep the price up. It has not worked mostly because I am not Bill Gates with tens of millions to invest but I am doing my share....lol Glad to hear from Number 3 and know that I am thinking about you and your friends right now.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: '03 Envoy, '07 F-150, '12 Charger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Hah...I think everyone thinks the same way you do...

Unfortunately, I'm sure it wouldn't be that easy...although I do see myself signing some documents as CEO of GM...documents that transfer ownership of toyota to General Motors...

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
2012 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
kylepo

Drives: 2002 firehawk.....missing 02CE
Notice the CEO was just asked to leave. No one is safe.
kylepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #12
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Of the 8K members on this forum there might be one or two who have any clue what it would take to make GM profitable again...

I truly hope everyone we know is safe.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote