Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #99
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Let's warm it up and get some critiques from El Maestro MT!

Captured a couple yesterday (and at the Fiesta).....right out of the Canon t2i. Full Manual. Forgot my CPL but shot anyway....

Let me have it!!
Attached Images

Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #100
Lu

Drives: 2006 GTO
Ok, you asked for it, the brutal truth.

Picture #1.

I really like the angle, and the composition, the leaves add a nice touch as well as the reflection. I like reflections and use many, so I don't always use a polarizer for that reason.

The focus seems a tad soft, my preference is a sharper image, near the fence and sky and some trees, the highlights are blownout, but the main subject is exposed much better, sometimes some blownout highlights can't be avoided, overall, I like this image.

Picture #2.

I like this shot, I like the background (though some might call it distracting, I dont), I like the stance of the car, but again the subject is on the soft side, would like to see a sharper subject, and I might have rotated the background clockwise a tad, to give the car a downward slope emphasizing some rake. Also you should have 'clone stamped' yourself out of the reflection in the car...

Picture #3.

A long exposure shot, I take it you used a tripod? shot is blurry, the 4th image is much better, though some of the ballons are a tad over exposed in my eyes.

Picture #5, your best of the set. Great angle/composition, and the subject is sharp with detail. I like getting down low and level with a car, as if I was a car looking at another car, especially the camaro as this angle tends to capture it's wonderfuly body lines. I don't like shots of somebody standing and shooting a car (as you often see at car meets), the photos tend to look exactly like that, somebody standing and taking a picture, rather, get on the cars level, as you did in picture #5. I say the same thing about shooting pets, get on their level, the output from your camera will be much more pleasing.

Now some of my comments are from my preferences, and are not right for everybody. I love vivid color, and I love a tact sharp subject, some might suggest my subjects are too sharp, and prefer a softer image, and thats okay. I am not saying I am right, just relaying my style a bit.

I tend to under expose images as opposed to over exposing. Over exposing often leads to blownout highlights which really means a loss of data, as there isn't any in the blownout area. For this reason I under expose but just a touch, as when one under exposes they invite noise in the shadow areas. Now the goal is obvioulsy a proper exposure, but I have always said photography is a game of tradeoffs, or compromises. Sometimes you just have to get blownout areas, or noisy shadows, depending on the shooting situation, as a shot is always better then no shot at all. I tend to shoot 3 - 5 images from the same angle (tripod always prefered if possible), adjusting my exposure in each one, then upon review in post processing I keep the best image.

Avoid 'cropping' as much as possible, as if you practice this you don't utualize the full resolution from your cameras sensor, and cropped images will tend to be fuzzy or soft depending on how much one crops, rather, try and compose/frame everything you want in a image from the shot, and simply resize that image in post processing. When I have to crop, I tend to want to use my Sony, as it's 24 megapixel sensor is more forgiving, and my Olympus 12 megapixel sesnor isn't.

pratice, practice, and most of all, have fun. If you are enjoying it, it will show in your images.

Our images are our footprints....

This one, shot a few nights ago, getting some night time practice with my Leica Summilux f/1.4 25mm prime.

Sweet Maybellene......
571 RWHP - 11.44@122mph at a DA of 6500ft
Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #101
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu View Post
Ok, you asked for it, the brutal truth.

Sweet....here we go!!

Picture #1.

I really like the angle, and the composition, the leaves add a nice touch as well as the reflection. I like reflections and use many, so I don't always use a polarizer for that reason.

The focus seems a tad soft, my preference is a sharper image, near the fence and sky and some trees, the highlights are blownout, but the main subject is exposed much better, sometimes some blownout highlights can't be avoided, overall, I like this image.

Thanks! I saw somebody shooting a BMW over here at my parking lot the other day and thought it to be a good shot if I could incorperate the color and texture of the leaves. I do need to dust off the Camera a little. Seems like some of my other shots had a tad of blur in there too....or maybe my prescription is just off.

Picture #2.

I like this shot, I like the background (though some might call it distracting, I dont), I like the stance of the car, but again the subject is on the soft side, would like to see a sharper subject, and I might have rotated the background clockwise a tad, to give the car a downward slope emphasizing some rake. Also you should have 'clone stamped' yourself out of the reflection in the car...

Ah! I think that you say exactly what I was going for and only after I pulled the images I realized...shit, it's taking off not coming down. LOL We all like Rake....we know you certainly do! "Clone Stamped?"...I presume thats some way of taking my reflection out of the shot. I'll look into learning how to do that. Thanks.

Picture #3.

A long exposure shot, I take it you used a tripod? shot is blurry, the 4th image is much better, though some of the ballons are a tad over exposed in my eyes.

No tripod....just held it steady between my legs while I sat down. One of my first attempts at shooting at night. I should prolly score a tripod if I plan on shooting this way again.

Picture #5, your best of the set. Great angle/composition, and the subject is sharp with detail. I like getting down low and level with a car, as if I was a car looking at another car, especially the camaro as this angle tends to capture it's wonderfuly body lines. I don't like shots of somebody standing and shooting a car (as you often see at car meets), the photos tend to look exactly like that, somebody standing and taking a picture, rather, get on the cars level, as you did in picture #5. I say the same thing about shooting pets, get on their level, the output from your camera will be much more pleasing.

Couldn't agree with you more. I hope to never take a shot of anything as normal people would tend to look at through their own eyes. I enjoy getting that wicked close up, detail, or low level glance at the subjects too. Great insight.

Now some of my comments are from my preferences, and are not right for everybody. I love vivid color, and I love a tact sharp subject, some might suggest my subjects are too sharp, and prefer a softer image, and thats okay. I am not saying I am right, just relaying my style a bit.

I tend to under expose images as opposed to over exposing. Over exposing often leads to blownout highlights which really means a loss of data, as there isn't any in the blownout area. For this reason I under expose but just a touch, as when one under exposes they invite noise in the shadow areas. Now the goal is obvioulsy a proper exposure, but I have always said photography is a game of tradeoffs, or compromises. Sometimes you just have to get blownout areas, or noisy shadows, depending on the shooting situation, as a shot is always better then no shot at all. I tend to shoot 3 - 5 images from the same angle (tripod always prefered if possible), adjusting my exposure in each one, then upon review in post processing I keep the best image.

Avoid 'cropping' as much as possible, as if you practice this you don't utualize the full resolution from your cameras sensor, and cropped images will tend to be fuzzy or soft depending on how much one crops, rather, try and compose/frame everything you want in a image from the shot, and simply resize that image in post processing. When I have to crop, I tend to want to use my Sony, as it's 24 megapixel sensor is more forgiving, and my Olympus 12 megapixel sesnor isn't.

pratice, practice, and most of all, have fun. If you are enjoying it, it will show in your images.

Our images are our footprints....

This one, shot a few nights ago, getting some night time practice with my Leica Summilux f/1.4 25mm prime.

Great shot! Man, that lens is worth every bit of that $600 that I've seen it for! Great detail!!

Really great advice....thank you. I too like that style and agree, there has to be some "give" to "get" when it comes to photography. That was my delimma in the first pic. I really wanted to capture the black in the lower grille of the car but the only way that I could was to open up the shutter but I think that (like you said) resulted in what appears to be an overexposed shot. Damn the black cars....never again. I really appreciate the time you take to think about the shots I posted and offer your critique. Definitely some good ideas poppin off in my head now and can't wait to get back outside.....thank you.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #102
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post

Really great advice....thank you. I too like that style and agree, there has to be some "give" to "get" when it comes to photography. That was my delimma in the first pic. I really wanted to capture the black in the lower grille of the car but the only way that I could was to open up the shutter but I think that (like you said) resulted in what appears to be an overexposed shot.

Don't rule out using 'fill in flash'.

You can expose for the sky, use flash to lighten up the grill area, if the flash is too strong the camera should have strength settings or you could diffuse the flash with a simple walmart type plastic bag you get when you buy gorceries. there is also 'bounce flash' techniques one can use, if you flash is flexable and you can change its angle, sometimes say bouncing off of the ceiling or a wall and onto your subject rather then directly hitting your subject.

off camera flash on a tripod type stand is even better.

with that said we tend to be 'available light' type shooters, but will use flash when required.

This change when flash is used, can't really recommend any particular setting, as it will always be differen't, but again one should fire numerous shots and select the best one in post processing.

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #103
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMT View Post
Don't rule out using 'fill in flash'.

You can expose for the sky, use flash to lighten up the grill area, if the flash is too strong the camera should have strength settings or you could diffuse the flash with a simple walmart type plastic bag you get when you buy gorceries. there is also 'bounce flash' techniques one can use, if you flash is flexable and you can change its angle, sometimes say bouncing off of the ceiling or a wall and onto your subject rather then directly hitting your subject.

off camera flash on a tripod type stand is even better.

with that said we tend to be 'available light' type shooters, but will use flash when required.

This change when flash is used, can't really recommend any particular setting, as it will always be differen't, but again one should fire numerous shots and select the best one in post processing.
"Fill in Flash...."

Guessing this is in Photoshop? Sounds pretty awesome.

Diggin that Bounce Flash technique as well. I've seen the diffuser bulbs/umbrellas and how they work. Pretty great idea as well.

You guys are all over the Photog Scene DaddyO! Got the knowledge and all that.

It's great learning so far....I feel that the more I shoot, the more I learn.

Great feedback...always welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you!
Ivan
Old 11-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #104
LittleMT
user bann'd

no fill in flash isn't photoshop, it is camera flash or off camera flash meant to 'fill in' a specific area such as a dark grill, side panels, depending on the scene and situation, off camera flash.

Sometimes it is used also in a portrait shot during the day, to avoid shadows in faces.

the term 'clone stamping' used earlier is in regards to photoshop. It is a tool which allows you to clone in or out certian images in your picture. With the clone stamp tool, you can select area, copy it, and use it elsewhere in the image. This is how Josh eliminates the rig that is on a car during his rig shots, he clone stamps it out, which is what can be done when a reflection of the photographer is caught in a body panel

Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #105
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMT View Post
no fill in flash isn't photoshop, it is camera flash or off camera flash meant to 'fill in' a specific area such as a dark grill, side panels, depending on the scene and situation, off camera flash.

Sometimes it is used also in a portrait shot during the day, to avoid shadows in faces.

the term 'clone stamping' used earlier is in regards to photoshop. It is a tool which allows you to clone in or out certian images in your picture. With the clone stamp tool, you can select area, copy it, and use it elsewhere in the image. This is how Josh eliminates the rig that is on a car during his rig shots, he clone stamps it out, which is what can be done when a reflection of the photographer is caught in a body panel
I need me a Ps Wookie.....step my editing game up.

Ivan
Old 11-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #106
ZoMBiE_KMF
Camaro Club of NM

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, Sold: [COTW 2/20/12]
CCNM donating coats to the Town of Bernalillo today.

Few pics I took today ...
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #107
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
Great photos Lawrence, thanks for posting !!

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #108
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Awesome!!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #109
LittleMT
user bann'd

bangin!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #110
LittleMT
user bann'd

a few from Fastinos using my new little Sony Cyber Shot point and shoot.

HDR shots coming next...

Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #111
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Oh yeah!!!! Still shooting! Lmao. Heading outside again. Great shots tonight. Big hats off to Lou for the assist tonight. In the zone!!! Thank you.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #112
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible

Great photos, I particularly like this one on Vince & Genny's car

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro club, ccnm