Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
13GreyVert

Drives: Grey Vert
Need ZL1 Replacement Wheel Help or Advice

I have the black 10 spoke wheels, and as fate would have it, I was on my way to work last week and out from the car in front of me shot a piece of debris and being packed in traffic at highway speed, I had little time to react and ran over the debris. Afterward, my car starting driving differently, then my low tire pressure warning came on. I was able to drive to a tire store and inspect the tire and wheel. Not only was the tire toast, with a puncture on the edge of the sidewall and tread, but the inner part of the wheel had a rather large dent in it and would no longer hold air. Simple problem I thought, so I contacted one of the large online parts suppliers thinking they would have an easier time of getting a replacement wheel than "Insert Local Chevy dealer here". I had to provide my VIN, a picture of the vehicle and a picture of the damaged wheel just to be allowed the opportunity to pay for a new wheel, which I happily did since I'd really like to drive my car again.

As I mentioned that was last week, and a week later still no wheel or an estimate of when the wheel will even ship. Even the parts supplier doesn't understand what the hold up is since they are showing stock but GM is just not releasing the wheel, so I'm looking for some recommendations/advice from the forum on next steps.

Obviously, I'm really disappointed with GM in this situation, as it shouldn't be this hard to buy a replacement part for a production vehicle. Not only that, but I had to pay for the wheel, shipping and a core charge last week and still no wheel.

Thanks for listening and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Rich
13GreyVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I just sent my two damaged wheels out thru my dealer to the wheel repair shop. Look brand new and cannot tell they were ever curb damaged. $400.00 for both rims repaired and repainted.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
BOWTIEBOB
BOWTIEBOB

Drives: 13&17 ZL1,13 427,11 SS,15 Z06,19ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13GreyVert View Post
I have the black 10 spoke wheels, and as fate would have it, I was on my way to work last week and out from the car in front of me shot a piece of debris and being packed in traffic at highway speed, I had little time to react and ran over the debris. Afterward, my car starting driving differently, then my low tire pressure warning came on. I was able to drive to a tire store and inspect the tire and wheel. Not only was the tire toast, with a puncture on the edge of the sidewall and tread, but the inner part of the wheel had a rather large dent in it and would no longer hold air. Simple problem I thought, so I contacted one of the large online parts suppliers thinking they would have an easier time of getting a replacement wheel than "Insert Local Chevy dealer here". I had to provide my VIN, a picture of the vehicle and a picture of the damaged wheel just to be allowed the opportunity to pay for a new wheel, which I happily did since I'd really like to drive my car again.

As I mentioned that was last week, and a week later still no wheel or an estimate of when the wheel will even ship. Even the parts supplier doesn't understand what the hold up is since they are showing stock but GM is just not releasing the wheel, so I'm looking for some recommendations/advice from the forum on next steps.

Obviously, I'm really disappointed with GM in this situation, as it shouldn't be this hard to buy a replacement part for a production vehicle. Not only that, but I had to pay for the wheel, shipping and a core charge last week and still no wheel.

Thanks for listening and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Rich
West Coast Camaros can probably replace your wheel. Once you find out how difficult Chevy can be to work with sometimes. I just bought some 19/20" ZR1 chrome wheels to sub for my black race wheels on my new 2013 427 Collector Ed. Vette from these guys as West Coast Corvettes. They were great to work with on price, sent me new catalogs with price beat/match guarantees. Number is 1-888-737-8388 and I worked with Brandon in wheels & accessories. No I am not affiliated or related to them. I don't think GM will refund your core price when they find the wheel is damaged. I would check that issue first.
BOWTIEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
13GreyVert

Drives: Grey Vert
Finally got the replacement wheel Thursday - GM overnighted it to me, which couldn't have been cheap. Props go to GM Parts House for all the help.

Now the question is what to do with the old wheel. The core charge is 50, but it will cost some money to ship back. I think I'm going to tried to have it repaired and keep it for a spare or sell it.

Thoughts?
13GreyVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13GreyVert View Post
Finally got the replacement wheel Thursday - GM overnighted it to me, which couldn't have been cheap. Props go to GM Parts House for all the help.

Now the question is what to do with the old wheel. The core charge is 50, but it will cost some money to ship back. I think I'm going to tried to have it repaired and keep it for a spare or sell it.

Thoughts?
It depends on how severe. Some shops can do amazing things with damaged wheels you are ready to write off. Get an estimate for repair. I know when I priced the replacement wheel for the rear it was approx 1100.00.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
MY CA.ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
It depends on how severe. Some shops can do amazing things with damaged wheels you are ready to write off. Get an estimate for repair. I know when I priced the replacement wheel for the rear it was approx 1100.00.
The cost to a dealer is apox.550.00 per rim.I think the dealer who sold you the car could do better than 1100.00 for one rim.They must not want a repeat client.I was in a wreck and they repaired my rims were i could not tell at all.Was a good time to do powder coating besides polishing.lol
MY CA.ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote