Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
EKG

Drives: Right now....a Honda CR-V
Small windshield?

So the only drawback about this car (from what I can see) is that it has a TINY windshield. However, when I sat in the drivers seat at the dealership...I thought I could see fine. My mom on the other hand...is kinda flippin about it lol. And momma be the bankroll in this fam! Haha!

So to all you guys who have the Camaro...does the small windshield make a difference? Does it suck/make it tougher to drive? I am coming from a Honda CR-V which has a pretty big windshield....so take that into consideration. Again me personally, I thought it was fine when I sat in it...but I just want to get some responses to show my mom so that she calms down about it lol!
EKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
RAdams
Car Guy

Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
Sounds like she is looking for ANY reason to say "no." But, come on... there's a big difference between having enough visibility to be perfectly safe and trying to justify the need to see the pavement 1" in front of the car and also keep an eye on air traffic directly overhead. Being able to see the hood seems to unsettle Honda fans.

Da Camaro scare Mama.
RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
All sports coupes have small window. That's how they get low drag.

Tell her it saves gas.

Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
i came from driving a truck. it is different that is for sure. but honestly after driving it for 1 week, I am totally fine driving in traffic, switching lanes using my mirrors and looking over my shoulder. the only i have trouble with is backing up, i have no idea where my trunk is! haha. The windshield is small, but its not that bad. I have no problem driving this car in traffic

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
You get used to it and don't even notice it after awhile...not a problem for me...I always used my mirrors in the past, so I didn't need to get used to that...getting used to how far back the rear-end goes is a little tricky and how close the right side is when parking it...nothing that some practice won't fix...
"prima"Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
The car is the safest coupe GM has ever made. Just look at the crash evidence so far.

There are people alive today because this car threw itself on the sword more than once so far.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Tell her it saves gas.

Careful.......

"But mom, the windshield is so small because of aerodynamics; it saves gas!"
"Oh, if saving gas is what you want why don't we go take a look at that nice little Prius down the road. It's much cuter anyway!"
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
EKG

Lol thanks for the quick replies guys. Vash, that safety thing ima be sure to tell her..that will win her over lol. But I mean she LOVES the car hahah and chances are I'll end up getting it once my brother gets his license or we sell the house (whichever comes first).
Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
camarogolfguy
Camarogolfguy

Drives: 2012 ssrs
Blind spots would be more of a problem with a tiny rear window and large C pillars.
camarogolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
RAdams
Car Guy

Drives: '08 Mustang GT, '01 Isuzu VehiCROSS
The non-stop blind spot criticism is such a complete overreaction. There are millions of THESE on the roads with "slightly" (ha ha) less visibility... yet magically they aren't all crashed and piled on top of each other with people running around on fire screaming (or some other hysterical scenario).

Make an infinitesimal amount of effort to use your mirrors, glance over your shoulder and keep tabs on traffic around you and there is nothing to worry about. You know, the stuff you should always do when driving ANY vehicle...
Attached Images

RAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #11
3GPa

Drives: SOLD/2SS/RS Painted Rally Stripes
It reminds me of my ol' 68 Firebird 400. I NEVER THOUGHT IT WAS SMALL UNTILL THESE NEW CARS HAD CINEMA WINDSHIELDS.
3GPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
There is a huge blind spot on the right side, quit denying it.

Worse than any other compact, older camaro, Mustang, RX7 even that I have ever owned.

Its tolerable though, just use more caution.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #13
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GPa View Post
It reminds me of my ol' 68 Firebird 400. I NEVER THOUGHT IT WAS SMALL UNTILL THESE NEW CARS HAD CINEMA WINDSHIELDS.
Hahah this made me laugh. I think my mom is getting sick of me talking about the Camaro all the time....but I DONT CARE!! HA!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
After driving my Camaro for a little over 2 weeks, my only issues with visibility come from two things.

1. The A-pillars are a little big and cause slight (very very slight) visibility issues when making right sharp turns in crowded areas, such as going around corners in parking garages.

2. With the outside mirrors adjusted properly for everyday driving, backing into a parking spot is a bit difficult without moving one of the mirrors to see the lines. Solution to this was put one of those small blind spot mirrors on each mirror. Problem solved and also makes quick checks before changing lanes much easier.

(not my picture but I did the same thing with the same size mirrors)