Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
TheSnickerDoodle

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Cold Air Problems

First post ever, don't scrutinize me too much.

I bought a used 2010 Camaro SS, last year, still has less than 30,000 miles on it as of right now. I ran into a problem recently, which I noticed my A/C stopped working, I knew it worked a few months earlier. I figured it was the a/c not charged so I recharged it, followed the instructions, kept-ed it at the appropriate level. I tried the A/C again and it still wasn't working. I'm still new to working on cars (sorry, kind of a late bloomer), so I went and asked my father, he ends up dumping the rest of the canister into it. It still didn't work but now my A/C compressors let off valve is kicking on.
I did notice, my fans sounded like they were are on overdrive the whole time.

I'm really out of ideas on this one, and I asked a few of my friends who are mechanics; they said, they weren't really sure either. And, to get a real diagnosis I'd have to take it in.

I thought I'd come here and see if any of you, kind folk, would happen to have any advice or suggestions for me.
TheSnickerDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
check the fuse? Otherwise the compressor sounds suspect. Still under warranty?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
TheSnickerDoodle

The fuse for the compressor? I think so, I'll have to check what exactly my warranty covers and for how long.
My friends did say the compressor was trying to run, but one of them said maybe a blockage.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
when you said the A/C stopped working, the fuse to it would be first thing to look at..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
Brandon_Lutz

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange 1SS/RS
If you put the AC gauges on it, do you have a lot of pressure on the high side of the gauge?

If so, try cleaning out the AC condenser coils buy rinsing it them out with water. (be careful when doing it so you don't bend the fins with too high of water pressure.) If it is dirty and has a lot of debris from normal driving in it, it can cause high pressure in the AC system and keep the compressor from kicking on.

However 30K miles seems low to have a lot of debris build up from normal driving in the condenser coil area, however it's worth a shot. If you live in a really dusty area or an area with LOTS of bug then it could be possible it's got a lot of build up in it.
Brandon_Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
TheSnickerDoodle

Thanks Brandon, however I don't own actual AC gauges, just the ones that came from the can. Sorry if I seem stupid ha. Yeah I live off a dirt road so, that's possible. I'll take a look at it.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #7
Brandon_Lutz

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnickerDoodle View Post
Thanks Brandon, however I don't own actual AC gauges, just the ones that came from the can. Sorry if I seem stupid ha. Yeah I live off a dirt road so, that's possible. I'll take a look at it.
Those little kits are decent if you need a quick charge but you need someone to put a gauge set on it to check the pressures. If too low of a charge and it won't run properly. Too high of a charge and the same thing will happen. Bring it to someplace that can check it for you to determine if you have too much refrigerant in it.

Also ask whatever mechanics that work on it to check the relay switch for the compressor, the compressor itself, etc.. Could be a lot of things, they just need to check off each potential issue one by one.

Have them start with the pressures first and go from there. Once you know what charge is on the system and what the pressures are, troubleshooting will be a whole lot easier.
Brandon_Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, cold air, no a/c, problem