Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #29
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moncadari View Post
Manual does say 87 but 93 is what would be better for it. Can't always listen to the manual! Manual also says to use a synthetic blend oil but that's definitely not what's best for our engines.

Im sure there will be many people disagreeing with you on the synthetic blend... Please define 'whats best for our engines' other than what the manual suggests...
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #30
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
What is the GM suggested octane rating for gas in these things?? I know in snowmobiles people fall into the myth that Octane = Higher performance when in all actuality octane levels that are higher than the minimum needed to avoid knock actually become detrimental to horsepower/performance as the octane level increases. Not to mention you could be wasting money paying a premium when you're not getting any benefits. So what should we be running for fuel in these hot V6's?
I use 87 and never had any issues. I've tried the 93 and couldn't tell the difference, except my wallet was lighter
Old 05-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #31
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenafan85 View Post
I use 87 and never had any issues. I've tried the 93 and couldn't tell the difference, except my wallet was lighter
If you make a jump like that after regularly running 87, you probably need to pull the fuses for the ECM. These computers consult what they've "learned".
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #32
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Well damnit you guys forced me to read I read the owners manual and it simply says 87 octane or higher but do not use anything below 87. I'm gonna have to find me a good source of fuel now.

My friend claims that E85 is similar in characteristics to 93 octane but I thought it was higher than that?
E-85 has an approximate octane rating of 105. That's how Will of Overkill can tune for more hp with E-85. You use more e-85 , The ethanol burns cooler and you can advance the timing and not have pre-ignition, knock, and use the higher octane and cooler burning temputure to produce more horsepower.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #33
Moncadari

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Im sure there will be many people disagreeing with you on the synthetic blend... Please define 'whats best for our engines' other than what the manual suggests...
Continuous use of oil other than fully synthetic would lead to heavy carbon build up on the intake valves which would later lead to diminished performance and fuel economy. Now, just running fully synthetic won't keep your intake valves clean but it definitely does a better job of keeping them less coked. Burn conventional oil on a frying pan and burn full synthetic then tell me which one you'd prefer in your engine. And synthetic oil is just superior is practiaclly every way.
Moncadari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #34
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Highest octane here is 91 and its what i use. I noticed a difference when originally using 87 and most notably the exhaust tips would be soot black a couple weeks after cleaning; much less so with 91 octane.

I use full synthetic in any brand other than Mobil 1. There's a four ball wear test on the net somewhere and Mobil 1 didn't score that well over the competition.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #35
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yes!! Thank you to all who contributed.

When I purchased my Camaro convertible, my buddy went out and got a 2011 mustang convertible V6. It has turned into a fun banter back an forth and I have beaten him a few times we have raced but this last time he was giving me a serious challenge to where his speed limiter came into play or I was probably screwed The only thing I could think would make the difference is I had fueled up with 87 ethanol blend and he was running 91 octane. He keeps modifying his car so he's going to get me soon and I can't actually tell what all he's done to his car so who knows. He's put a larger throttle body on his car, a CAI and it has axle back exhaust. So far the bone stock Camaro with the cheesy painted 18" wheels has held him off but he says he's got a diablo tuner with some custom tunes coming. That'll be the end I'm sure
Dude, breakout that credit card,get a cold air intake, the Overkill 80mm throttlebody, Overkill tune with the E-85 option and for around 1,200 dollars that mustang will NEVER catch you!!
Old 05-27-2017, 10:31 PM   #36
IamR3D88

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Dude, breakout that credit card,get a cold air intake, the Overkill 80mm throttlebody, Overkill tune with the E-85 option and for around 1,200 dollars that mustang will NEVER catch you!!
^^^THIS^^^

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
IamR3D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #37
IamR3D88

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
I can really tell the difference when I run the air conditioner and in wot situations.
Im assuming WOT and AC are seperate instances you are talking about as our car turns the AC off automatically under WOT.

IamR3D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #38
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamR3D88 View Post
Im assuming WOT and AC are seperate instances you are talking about as our car turns the AC off automatically under WOT.

Yes,driving normal or under moderate acceleration with the AC on while burning 87,there is a BIG difference to useing 93. No hesitation, no dogin' it from the light. No lack of acceleration. With the air off the 87 responds better than wth the air on. It was very noticeable. Wot with the air off, 93 just is snappier and revsstronger. It did take about two full tanks of 93 for the ecu to adjust. Been running 93 since about three months after purchase.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:06 PM   #39
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Just to add another .02 or .05 to this discussion and since I just finished my 6 month "study" on the 87 octane I've been feeding it for almost 2 years.

https://youtu.be/KEfHtnT5sPs

Not trying to get good mileage in any driving condition. Just drivin' it how I drive. With the confidence in performance I drive this quite a bit like I ride my bike.

Not sure how to embed the video. Hope the link works for those that want a peek.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #40
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
Just to add another .02 or .05 to this discussion and since I just finished my 6 month "study" on the 87 octane I've been feeding it for almost 2 years.

https://youtu.be/KEfHtnT5sPs

Not trying to get good mileage in any driving condition. Just drivin' it how I drive. With the confidence in performance I drive this quite a bit like I ride my bike.

Not sure how to embed the video. Hope the link works for those that want a peek.
I'll be interested to see your results. I kind of did the same thing running 87 octane for the past 2 years. I switched to 93 about 2 months ago.

On the 87 oct. I would use about 3/4 tank and go about 212 miles every 2 weeks. Now with the 93 oct every 2 weeks I only use half a tank and I am still getting 212 miles. I'm very surprised by this.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #41
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I'll be interested to see your results. I kind of did the same thing running 87 octane for the past 2 years. I switched to 93 about 2 months ago.

On the 87 oct. I would use about 3/4 tank and go about 212 miles every 2 weeks. Now with the 93 oct every 2 weeks I only use half a tank and I am still getting 212 miles. I'm very surprised by this.
What's you butt dyno say about relative performance comparison?
Old 07-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #42
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
What's you butt dyno say about relative performance comparison?
Honestly I really didn't notice anything. Maybe the engine sounds a little different when I get on it . Maybe if I had a tune . I have a manual trans so in second and third gears when you get about 5000 rpm the 6 pulls like an animal . I know the SS boys will laugh at that but hey it is what it is.

Last edited by 1Coopgt; 07-06-2017 at 08:32 AM.
1Coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote