Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-27-2018, 11:28 PM   #15
its Sparkyyy

Drives: 2012 V6 Summit White Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardtfan77 View Post
Mechanic found the reluctor wheel has shifted 2 1/2 teeth and thats causing my idle surges and issues. in order to fix the problem the engine has to be pulled from the car and a new crankshaft has to be installed. Not to happy with this car at the moment
how much did it cost for you to have this done?
its Sparkyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #16
PaladinMRB

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS RJT, "Black & Tan" Int.
This must be an issue with the V6... I had the engine light for the timing chains/belts problem light up last fall and then had them replaced. I don't drive my Camaro much in the winter. Now that I'm back in the saddle, the engine light comes on again and I'm noticing a loss in initial power when "punching" it from idle or attempting a quick acceleration maneuver (for example to overtake and pass on the interstate), oddly enough particularly in "sport mode" (have a 2LT with automatic). So I went in to the dealer that did my repair on the chains, not a particularly happy camper. They eventually diagnosed the issue as being a slipped reluctor wheel and also needed to do the same thing; pull the crankshaft to repair!

The service manager at the dealership actually escalated to GM before calling me with this news because it even (rightly) raised his eyebrow on a car with 44k miles. Even though the car has less than 50k miles on it, it is a 2011 so over two years out of warranty, GM agreed to warranty pricing and chipped in with $900. Dealer is quoting a "solid" $1,460 for the repair which is "reasonable" IMO to get back on the road "right", well when compared to the dealer's initial estimate of $3,200...!

Sounds like a manufacturing defect and GM knows it to me... I've also read that there are related recalls or "special coverage bulletins" on other GM vehicles (mostly Crossover SUV's like Traverse and Enclave) with this same engine (or variants) for the timing belt/chains needing to be replaced unusually early. In any case pretty aggravating issue.

Last edited by PaladinMRB; 04-04-2018 at 03:11 PM.
PaladinMRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #17
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
Interesting to know the final outcome on this...
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote