Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
BigDan

Drives: bug
Z/28 Auto? I sure hope its an option cuz its quicker in the CTS-V

I sure hope they offer the A6 as an option in the new z/28. Purely for performance reasons. The auto is quicker to 60mph and quicker in the 1/4 mile over the manual in the CTS-V and keep's getting better then the M6 once you start modding it. You definetly want a auto when you are drag racing a supercharged car since you dont loose any boost between shifts. There's an auto CTS-V with exhaust stock tune and DR running 12.2 and 11.2 (598whp) with pulley's and exhaust. Imagine a LSA with 2.9L Whipple with a cam exhaust , yank 3600, and 3.90 gear's should be good for 770whp easy and would get me off the fence pretty quick

I'm on the fence right now between the 2011 AL block GT500 vs the 2012 Z/28 if it has an auto.

I'd like the auto because it would be alot more controlable and safer at 750+whp range
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
BUT do you realize what the Z28 use to be (and the way it will probably lean this time)? the Z was not the drag strip car. SS 396's and ZL1's were. the Z28 was a road course car. for that you want that manual.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
BUT do you realize what the Z28 use to be (and the way it will probably lean this time)? the Z was not the drag strip car. SS 396's and ZL1's were. the Z28 was a road course car. for that you want that manual.
Dont be stuck in the past.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Paddle shifters..........
Seriously, though --
Outside of dragging the car, I think offering an Automatic makes a lot of sense...because the GT500 does not.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Paddle shifters..........
Seriously, though --
Outside of dragging the car, I think offering an Automatic makes a lot of sense...because the GT500 does not[.
They might suprise us with the new six speed auto they are going to be offering.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
They might suprise us with the new six speed auto they are going to be offering.
link?

I know they pulled a join-venture with GM to develop the transverse 6-speeds both companies use. I haven't heard of a RWD unit....
Old 11-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #7
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Dont be stuck in the past.
far from stuck in the past. looking to the future DI v8 with 6 speed manual TR-6060 (aka t-56 magnum). learning from it and making it better.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
GM would have to be NUTS NOT to offer the Z28 with an auto.

There's a LOT of folks who want the go fast without all the work of shifting. There's the older crowd who either can't or don't want to use that left leg anymore for all that shifting. Then, there's the people who get tired of it in all the traffic..stop...go...stop...go...

The competition does NOT offer their top tier cars in auto (to my knowledge) and this is one area that GM could REALLY hit the nail on the head if they went with an auto.

GM....DO IT.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Get over it, its just a name, and if GM were to make a modern day z/28 they use a supercharged DI V6.

How much boost can a LSA take?
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
It comes from the factory with 9 pounds.

The Hennessey guys have upped the power to 700 hp with success...no idea on what boost they're running, but they did do a pulley swap, and did not mess with the insides other than a cam and heads.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #11
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It comes from the factory with 9 pounds.

The Hennessey guys have upped the power to 700 hp with success...no idea on what boost they're running, but they did do a pulley swap, and did not mess with the insides other than a cam and heads.
is that the LSA or LS9?
Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
is that the LSA or LS9?
LSA...alllll LSA.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:13 AM   #13
brick777

Drives: 1999 SS
I agree, a 6 speed auto like the one on the CTS-V should be offered for all the reasons stated in favor of it...it has greater performance potential on the strip and track ( just ask any cts-V owner who owns the auto...they swear by how great it performs) and because some people just don't want to shift, and because perhaps some people who desire to have a Z-28 just can't use the clutch for disability reasons. Let's not get arrogant and forget those people who desire to drive a great sports car. Options for all is a good thing!
brick777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:52 AM   #14
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Get over it, its just a name, and if GM were to make a modern day z/28 they use a supercharged DI V6.

wow. did I tell you to get over it? no, sorry just like some people on this forum this is more then a name and a car. some people are passionate about other things you sir must be.

the car you want is the ZL1. and hopefully they make it. the Z28 is not a V6 and would be completely stupid on the basis of the arguments I've seen on this forum. weight savings? not as much as you might think. not enough to count.

as for the LSA that will more then likely be in the Z28 and I have not argued the point it shouldn't be in the car with an auto. my argument is if you want a drag car the z28 shouldn't be your first choice. if you go with what the Z28 and ZL1 were. I'm also not saying it won't slaughter the 1320. just saying it's over all purpose is completely different then what you want to use it for.

why do you not want your car to turn? seriously some of us drive on curvy roads. and the 1320 just doesn't last long enough to matter. it's like a ton of build up for a ride at Disney world. 3 hr wait for a 30 second ride. but to each his own.