Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #29
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Even though a quality set of HIDs would have worked without doing any of this?? Lol. Stop buying cheap junk and stop being lazy and you won't have issues.

well I was reading from this website that sales OEM HID kits and they say you should disable automatic headlights before installing an HID kit, so that's what I'm doing before laying down $280 on a OEM HID kit.

This may be why I had problems from the cheap Xentec kit which I took off weeks ago.

http://www.philipshidkits.com/installation/

this is from the above website

Problem: - In many cases, especially for those cars that have Auto "ON" or Daytime Running Lights; one or both lights cannot Ignite Initially, Discharge Bulb turns off just after start of the car, or even sometimes, bulb just turns off when driving.
  • Damage:
    Fried ballast, internally damage or burn the discharge bulb Gas Capsule.
  • Solution:
    You MUST Disconnect the Daytime Running Light or Auto Switch ON function immediately before the actual HID Conversion. Due to the Steady levels of battery voltage at 12V the battery doesn't have enough power to switch on the "Auto On" feature which uses 7V and the HID system which requires 12V at the same time.
    • if you have Daytime Running Light please follow your car s service manual; disconnect the fuse or wiring of Daytime Running lights only.
    • If you have Auto Switch On Headlights, please switch the function to Manual Switch On headlights. To avoid further damages, always remember to start your engine before turn on the HID system!

If you can tell me otherwise I'd like to hear about it.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #30
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Well first of all that is not OEM HID stuff. Its cheap knockoff crap. Just because it says philips on it doesnt mean its any good. Philips never made a bulb type other than OEM style. No rebases so it screams knock off. You can get the same stuff for 25 on eBay. I've done HID on a camaro many times. Get a quality kit from TRS like I told you before and it will work just like stock. No need to mess around or hack up the car. It's 270 bucks for an entire kit!!! Including projectors. It's very easy to type in a website. Idk why you haven't yet. You need the full kit with moritomo standalone canbus harness. Hook everything up with a new light switch you didn't break and it will work just like stock. No bulb out warnings and a very quick startup and no need for wiring everywhere.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #31
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

yeah, now I regret doing this switch mod, the automatic healights turn on when you turn them off anyway, it confuses the computer and the parking lights are still on when you leave the car, i have to cycle the switch again just to get the parking lights to turn off and then the headlights flash again anyway as it passes over the auto setting. I'm going to try to work with it some more but I'll probably end up buying another switch, hopefully it wont be too expensive.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #32
C586
Account Suspended

If you get another switch and spend 270 bucks at TRS you won't have any issues. Ad you will have OEM quality projector headlights. And no bulb out warnings and the car will turn them off if you leave them on.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #33
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

okay, I played with it more, still doing the same thing, Luckiliy I was able to get a new switch off ebay for only $25 so now I feel better.

So does everyone agree the TRS HID's are good to get?? I did some web searching and coudn't really find anything bad said about them. It's just unreal how much fake crap is out there, everything on ebay looks like junk. I've never seen anything counterfeited this bad, it's worse that counterfeit gold coins or rolex watches.

Is this a good one?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=12825

I plan on just getting the 35watt just because they are more reliable. Right? is that the thinking? why not just get the 50 watt?

thanks for the help.

Last edited by CyberPunk223; 11-12-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #34
C586
Account Suspended

That's kinda what you need. You need to do a retrofit though. Your car will look cool but your lighting will be crap because you have a base model. Your headlights where not designed for HID. There will be light thrown everywhere including in the eyes of all the other drivers on the road. You will be that asswhole blinding everyone else. And the light on the road will be even with stock or maybe worse. But you will look cool. Lol
Old 11-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #35
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

yeah, i know, I just dont feel comfortable cutting up my headlights, plus i really dont have the time to do it, like i said I have Carbon GTS covers on now, plus I'm getting the 4300k color and oly the 35 watt kit so it shouldn'y be bad.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #36
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
personally I think all vehicles should come with auto headlights, far to often I see retards driving around in the dead of night with no lights on because they are clueless idiots.
Thats how the police spot the DUI's
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #37
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
Thats how the police spot the DUI's

DUI = Dumb Useless Idiot?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #38
C586
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
yeah, i know, I just dont feel comfortable cutting up my headlights, plus i really dont have the time to do it, like i said I have Carbon GTS covers on now, plus I'm getting the 4300k color and oly the 35 watt kit so it shouldn'y be bad.
Just excuses. You don't have to cut anything up and it takes like 3 hours start to finish. You try and improve your headlights by blinding other people because you covered up your headlights?? At least idiots are entertaining.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #39
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Quote:
Just excuses. You don't have to cut anything up and it takes like 3 hours start to finish. You try and improve your headlights by blinding other people because you covered up your headlights?? At least idiots are entertaining.
I covered my headlights so they dont look like shit in 2-3 years like everyone elses and to black out the entire grill during the day which looks really good. and any headlights will blind people dumb ebough to stare directly into them. Why do people like you have a fetish running around telling other people what they have to do? If projectors reduce the brightness of the headlights to prevent from blinding people like you say then they are a waste of money and time anyway. And then your risking ruining the lights or having problems with them like condesation for nothing. Now that's idiotic. The only reason they put those pieces of junk on factory cars is because the loser government makes them do it.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #40
C586
Account Suspended

Lmao. Projectors don't dim the light. They focus the light and make a nice cutoff so the light goes where the driver needs it to see the road. A projector makes the light much brighter yet prevents the brighter light from blinding others. Are you like 15 or something?? Idk of any car where the headlights look like shit if they aren't covered. Your an idiot. Plain and simple. Your parents just bought you a cool car and you want to know how to work on it but you have no clue how to even follow a step by step video on how to retrofit. The government doesn't force the factory to use projectors. It's just what some people call the right way to do it. Your doing it the hackjob way. If you want to hack up a nice car go for it. Sucks you can't afford a real HID kit.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #41
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
C586 is to the point but he is correct and is telling you the right way to do it.

Don't do the HID bulbs, do a true retrofit and TRS is without a doubt the place to go. Go through this thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120440
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #42
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Quote:
A projector makes the light much brighter yet prevents the brighter light from blinding others.... Your doing it the hackjob way. If you want to hack up a nice car go for it.

that makes absolutely no sense.
and I'm not hacking up my car, if I put those stupid projectors in, then that would be hacking up the car.
futhermore just about every feature on a car is regualted by the loser government and I'd bet my right arm that includes headlights too.

beam cutoff is just another word for adjusting your headlights.