Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #15
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
Biergut,

I was in your shoes up until Monday when I picked up my Z/28 and I must tell you not to give up if a Z is what you want. I used to watch every video on YouTube and imagine myself getting into the driver seat ... I finally did it. The permagrin is real, the car is faster than you think, and you will notice a lot of turned heads and thumbs up. I absolutely love this car and would recommend it to anyone that doesn’t see driving as a chore.

Good luck and keep us updated!

You bet I will! Champing at the bit!!!
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #16
_Chigga

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #225 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
I went from a 2009 ZR1 to a Z/28 and have never looked back. I LOVED my ZR1, but always was drawn to the Z/28. It's not as fast, but in terms of pure driving enjoyment there is no comparison. The Z/28 is just a raw, visceral beast and I can't imagine another car that is as much fun to drive. The way it looks, the way it sounds, the way it makes power.....just pure analog perfection! You will not regret it!
which one sounds better in your opinion? LS9 or LS7?
_Chigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #17
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
50% more to obtain a ZL1 1LE vs a used Z/28

To the Cayman owners... I wonder how the large size increase to the Camaro platform feels coming from the little Cayman
I had a GT4 which I bought new in August 2015 - got the Z in October 2016. as noted above it is the scalpel and the hammer. The GT4 has a lot more power than the Cayman or Cayman S, which made it a great car in a superior platform.

What I found intersting is when I was going to go drive I found myself going for the Z if I was going in my area or in the twisties - just fun everywhere. The GT4 was so good that you had to push to such a level of speed on the road that is was not safe for you or those around you - to get the same feel you could get out of the Z at 7 / 10ths.

As far as visibility goes - the GT4/Cayman you simply are looking out at the road - it is awesome. Overall the Cayman is a smaller car with a smaller cabin, but everyting feels just right, where the Z everything feels comfortable.

The GT4 is 800 - 1000 lbs lighter - which makes it nimble, fun and very rewarding to drive on the track and in the twisties. The engine note of the GT4 with Cargraphic headers was out of this world, very exotic.

But the torque of the LS7 wins the day when you are just puttin around town or the local twisties and want to have some fun. Then when you start to push and realize what you can do with the Z, even with all the size and weight, it is truely an amazing car. It is just one of those cars you get in and have fun in, everytime you drive it.

May not be the fastest version you can get, but all around it is a very special car (as was my GT4). End of the day had to make room in the garage so one car had to go - the GT4 went - the Z stayed - every once in awhile I think, was that the right choice, then I drive the Z and I know it was!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #18
_Chigga

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #225 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I know you didn't ask me, but no comparison for me. The LS7 is the best sounding modern engine I've heard. It sounds beautiful.
For me LS7 sounds awesome, just I never heard a LS9 in person.
_Chigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #19
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
We sound like similar stories for sure.

BTW - you won't love the NJ tracks... I've got thousands of laps on all of the tracks you've mentioned (sans Monticello) as well as plenty of time down in Millville and can attest that NJMP does not compare. But try them you must! You'll know what I mean after a weekend there.

My Cayman is a great sports car, but I own the 2.7, it's stock and it is just too slow. I just made a mistake in buying it. It hangs in better at the Glen where you can keep up pace, but it's ever so frustrating to drive at a place like Summit Point where you have to dig hard from T1 and coming out of the carousel. I miss some of my old race cars, but have no energy to deal with a strictly track car any longer.

I was taken with the Z28 since it was re-introduced and I watched all the videos with Pobst and Harris driving them. Now I just can't wait and need to dump the Porsche before I do something stupid like install a lift in my one car just to fit a Z!
The lift sounds pretty logical to me.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:17 PM   #20
NVNO1

Drives: corvette
I had a an 02 911tt a few years back. Great car, but I will say I definitely prefer my z/28 for all the same reasons others have stated above.
NVNO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #21
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
I just got into autocrossing with my Z/28 this year. I ran our local Novice Stock class. I did 6 races and won 4 of them. My car is bone stock except for tw200 tires which aren't as good as the stock Trofeo's. My wins were all 3-4 seconds per lap faster than 2nd place on a 40-45 second track. Aside from my steep learning curve I would get comments all the time from veterans who have been racing for decades about how planted my car looked out on the track. My first race I lost to a Cayman S. By the end of the season I could beat that Cayman by 1-2 seconds, and he has way more seat time than me.

Here's my last lap of the season. Listen carefully to the 2 guys talking at the beginning.

1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #22
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
The lift sounds pretty logical to me.

Starting to consider that avenue...
Old 11-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #23
JTRATX

Drives: 17 SS 1LE, 14 Yukon Denali
OP, I am struggling with the exact opposite decision of selling my Z and getting a much lighter car like a Cayman or similar.
My needs are track only and the Z is an Ok track car for my driving style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTRATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #24
BJJKRIS

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #18
Quote:
I am new here... that's my fault because when I purchased my Porsche last year I knew I should have purchased the Z28. Well now I have some to my senses and just had post.

I've tracked cars going back to the very early 1990s and have been through a lot of cars for the track over the years (12)... exclusively Porsches, but for one Corvette and now know... I need a Z28. I am amazed at the prices for these unbelievable machines. What shocks me is the prejudice about these monsters... when I tell folks I'm losing the Cayman for a Z28 I can't tell you the strange looks I get... I love it.

I have the Jones for a Z so bad it's consuming way too much of my time -- I find myself watching the Chris Harris video over and over again... I need the Porsche gone first, but boy -- once that is gone -- I'll be in a Z28 so fast my wife will wonder just what the f*^k just happened! (she is also one of the Porsche snobs)

Anyway-- wanted to get acquainted with you guys, introduce myself and hope to be a member of the club soon. Wish me luck!

Biergut
Man, you're going to love this thing! I finally got mine a few months ago 2 days before i deployed haha. those 2 days were some of the best i've had in a while. From cruising the beach all the way down to st. augustine to late night runs on the interstate... you can't beat the driving experience. coming from a modded STI and a 2013 Boss 302. The Z just stomps all over both of them IMO.
BJJKRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:39 AM   #25
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRATX View Post
OP, I am struggling with the exact opposite decision of selling my Z and getting a much lighter car like a Cayman or similar.

What sort of track driving do you do?
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #26
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
What sort of track driving do you do?

Road course -- mainly NE... WGI, LRP, Pocono, Summit Point, VIR, Mid-Ohio, etc..
Old 11-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #27
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRATX View Post

What is it about your driving style that makes you want to change to a Cayman? Consumables?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #28
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
What is it about your driving style that makes you want to change to a Cayman? Consumables?
I can't speak for him but a good bit of people who track regularly do not like heavy cars for track duties. The inertia, hp/lb ratio, frontal area... then just the time and efforts to change rotors/pads/fluids/tires (not even talking about the money that needs allotted). Heavier the car, the more that works against everything involved

All depends what YOU want.

My buddy has a ~2800 lb e36 M3 hill climb car, full cage, aero, LS3 swapped 500 rwhp, t56, with 285's square on it. Would destroy a new ZR1 as is with less than $20k total in the car. He's working the fenders/qtrs over the winter to accommodate 335's square on it, cutting more weight too.
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/

Last edited by j o n; 11-05-2018 at 09:12 AM.
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote