Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-04-2018, 01:48 AM   #1
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Lightbulb New Coyote Engine Failures

There are serious concerns at the Mustang forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxxxxxx7 View Post
I just Traded my 16 A8 2SS with 1362 miles last week for a 5-1-18 build 2018 Royal crimson 301A GT with PP active exhaust 3:55 gears ..I am starting to see quite a bit of engine failures here .I am wondering if this is just a handful or a new engine design fault .. I had all intention of modding this car and purchased it because of the mod friendly nature of coyotes with out the fuel system limitations and short block limitations of the LT1 not to mention the cost of modding of them , is there a chance these new gen 3 coyotes are not as reliable or its just a few ..has me a bit paranoid now ..can some one start a poll on failures and build dates maybe we can get a bit of Data atleast ..also how many 18s built over all vs how many failures .it just seems like i hear about 2 more every day .even have friends texting me about failures .I feel like maybe i should have waited but I had coyotes in the past they were always reliable .any input would be great thanks .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxxxxxxY View Post
Look at the warranty issues subsection. As of now, we don't know what is happening. Known issues so far:

-rattle (piston slap?)
-clutch grind/noise
-BBQ tick

Build dates with issues vary from November 17 to May 18. Honestly no one knows how many are faulty, how many are blown, how many are going to blow.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #2
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Makes me love my 5th gen that much more. Thanks PDX.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Makes me love my 5th gen that much more. Thanks PDX.
I sorta feel for them. I remember having a Challenger when timing chains were snapping. It's awful not knowing if/when you'll be next.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Well, I'm seeing a lot excuses being made, but failures are still happening. I really do feel bad for some of the guys there. It sucks knowing you spent 35-50k for a car only to find out there is a better than slim chance a transmission or engine issue can pop-up and leave you dead in the water.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #5
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Well, I'm seeing a lot excuses being made, but failures are still happening. I really do feel bad for some of the guys there. It sucks knowing you spent 35-50k for a car only to find out there is a better than slim chance a transmission or engine issue can pop-up and leave you dead in the water.
Especially with these types of vehicles, which people purchase out of passion not need.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:04 AM   #6
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I’m hoping that Ford

A) Gets it together and nails down the fix(es). Actually sounds like several issues ranging from high pressure injection noise to piston slap to some really serious precombustion issues.

B) Does right by the owners. Some have been given short blocks. A few have received long blocks. A couple have been bought back and some are in progress.

The Mustang6 guys don’t deserve what they’ve been getting from Ford and some of the technicians they’ve been dealing with on this. To be told that “this is normal” when your performance car sounds like crap is not appropriate. Gets the customer off the service department’s back for a day (maybe?) but paints a really negative picture of the brand from some of the most diehard customers. C’mon Ford...belly up to the bar and take care of these guys.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]

Been following this guy. He had his motor replaced and now the second one is making the same noise. Now I know some people think it's a normal characteristic, but what this guy said is that Ford tore down his first motor and actually found there was excessive piston slap. What would you do in his situation? I'd have literally exploded!
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #8
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I’m hoping that Ford

A) Gets it together and nails down the fix(es). Actually sounds like several issues ranging from high pressure injection noise to piston slap to some really serious precombustion issues.

B) Does right by the owners. Some have been given short blocks. A few have received long blocks. A couple have been bought back and some are in progress.

The Mustang6 guys don’t deserve what they’ve been getting from Ford and some of the technicians they’ve been dealing with on this. To be told that “this is normal” when your performance car sounds like crap is not appropriate. Gets the customer off the service department’s back for a day (maybe?) but paints a really negative picture of the brand from some of the most diehard customers. C’mon Ford...belly up to the bar and take care of these guys.
Great post Jim. I agree. I hope ford does do the right thing. Chevy certainly did just about less then than nothing with my claim, and I’m still bitter.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote