Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
race24x

Drives: 80 Z28 - 93 Z28 - 14 Camaro SS-RS
Supercharged 2014 SS Clutch Issue

So I know most if not all superchargers say you should have an upgraded clutch. I was driving mine hoping to make it to this winter and then replace clutch (I live in Maine and cant drive it in winter anyway), but the other day I was just trying a couple aggressive take offs. The first I use competition mode and held it to the floor and let the clutch out aggressive, not side step but let it off about as fast as I could with my foot. About a mile down the road I wanted to try the old fashioned way where you keep revs up to about 2500 and let the clutch out so as not to spin the tires while giving it more gas, slipping the clutch. Anyway the clutch only came up about half way even with my foot off the pedal and slipped the clutch pretty bad. I pumped the clutch a couple times and it came back. I drove it up and down the road it is not slipping. No more of trying that again, but I thought it weird that the clutch only came up about half way. Has anyone experienced this???? Also recommendations for a new clutch capable of 550 RWHP?
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
LsxDoctor
15 Year LS1Tech Member

Drives: 2010 ss 391ci LS3
Happened a few times to me at the strip doing some hot laps. I tried bleeding it and no air came out. Happened a lot to me on 4th gens also only when the slave was going out or it needed to be bleed. Probably heat

GJDM
LsxDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
You could very well need THIS.

Let me know if we can help 801.545.4215

All the best,

The JDP Team
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Boiled your clutch fluid. Use the Ranger method and change it out. Same thing happened to me recently and now clutch is fine. I went through 3 large bottles of brake fluid before mine was clear.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
race24x

Drives: 80 Z28 - 93 Z28 - 14 Camaro SS-RS
What is the Ranger method of changing the fluid? I am going to do that and add the Lingfellter clutch spring
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
LsxDoctor
15 Year LS1Tech Member

Drives: 2010 ss 391ci LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by race24x View Post
What is the Ranger method of changing the fluid? I am going to do that and add the Lingfellter clutch spring

GJDM
LsxDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
Matt@Tick

Drives: All GM Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by race24x View Post
So I know most if not all superchargers say you should have an upgraded clutch. I was driving mine hoping to make it to this winter and then replace clutch (I live in Maine and cant drive it in winter anyway), but the other day I was just trying a couple aggressive take offs. The first I use competition mode and held it to the floor and let the clutch out aggressive, not side step but let it off about as fast as I could with my foot. About a mile down the road I wanted to try the old fashioned way where you keep revs up to about 2500 and let the clutch out so as not to spin the tires while giving it more gas, slipping the clutch. Anyway the clutch only came up about half way even with my foot off the pedal and slipped the clutch pretty bad. I pumped the clutch a couple times and it came back. I drove it up and down the road it is not slipping. No more of trying that again, but I thought it weird that the clutch only came up about half way. Has anyone experienced this???? Also recommendations for a new clutch capable of 550 RWHP?
As others have said - you boiled the clutch fluid, which introduced air into your system and caused the clutch pedal inconsistency. You're making too much power for the stock clutch for sure.

When you decide to upgrade the clutch, you've got tons of options! We find Monster Clutches to be super high quality with great customer service. Their Level 2 single disc will technically support 550RWHP (that is it's max rating) but you'll be much happier with their LT1-S Twin Disc at your power level: http://www.tickperformance.com/monst...-capacity-700/

Make sure you do a new slave, billet release bearing support and Remote SPEED Bleeder Line during the install - you won't regret it! Please feel free to reach out to us directly if you have any other driveline related questions - we do this all day, every day so there is nothing we haven't seen!
Matt@Tick is offline   Reply With Quote