Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
Exclamation WAX and Swirls HELP

so I have waxed my car a few times using Meguires wax and noticed this weekend there are swirls all over my new car. I am flipping out it s a brand new car and has swirl marks can anyone help me please. It really looks looks bad up close but great from a distance. Is there anything that i can do to get this gone and looking new upclose again? I read about meguires 105 i was thinking of trying any other suggestions?
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
What are you using to remove the polish? (And to dry the car as well?)

You can "fix" the swirls. Meguire's offers a couple of products that I've used in the past; 'SwirlX', and 'Ultimate Compound'. They both work well.

You'll want to be sure and use the proper aplicator as well as the proper towels for removal. I suspect this is what is cauing you your problems.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Read Moose's thread about detailing, but I used Meg SwirlX and then waxed this weekend with great results. The best advice I can give is, clean towels and clean car before drying.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
montej23

i was using the applicator that came with the wax and using a 100% terry cloth. i would wax a section and let it set for a min the stat wipping off. Is this not correct
Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by montej23 View Post
so I have waxed my car a few times using Meguires wax and noticed this weekend there are swirls all over my new car. I am flipping out it s a brand new car and has swirl marks can anyone help me please. It really looks looks bad up close but great from a distance. Is there anything that i can do to get this gone and looking new upclose again? I read about meguires 105 i was thinking of trying any other suggestions?
How bad are the swirls? yes, 105 is awesome, but you may not need a product that strong just yet. Additionally, are you planning to use a machine to do the work?
Here is an example of using Megauiars 205 on a 5.5" orange ccs pad via porter cable 7424xp (~ speed 4-4.5).

before shot to show paint condition :banghead:

Couple of shots after just the 205

AFTERS

fwiw, after the 205, I used poliseal to give a base coat of protection and finished it off with CG 5050 wax
Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
montej23

Wow that looks better and i like the idea, im a little afraid to use a electic buffer on it cause i had a 95 firebird that i tried a electric buffer on and it took off paint. So i really am not good or know how to use a electric buffer to make it look like yours.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
beowulf80

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS MT, IBM
Try using a random orbit buffer; much much lower chance of messing up your paint than a rotary buffer. Porter Cable makes a nice one. You probably had the bad experience with a rotary buffer Montej23.
beowulf80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Chris@glimmerglass

Quote:
Wow that looks better and i like the idea, im a little afraid to use a electic buffer on it cause i had a 95 firebird that i tried a electric buffer on and it took off paint. So i really am not good or know how to use a electric buffer to make it look like yours.
Well, the Porter Cable 7424xp is a random orbital and not a rotary (which can be significantly more dangerous to use). The porter cable is by far the most widely used machine for detailing. I've set people up w/ the PC who have had the same concerns as you and they were able to achieve their desired results. I have no problem walking you through the steps necessary to do the job. You can even start out w/ just waxing the car using the machine in order to get a feel for it if that makes you more comfortable. There are plenty of pads that are super soft which would pose no danger to your paint.
Anyway, let me know what you think. Feel free to call me as well if thats easier for you. 908-451-6431.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
Chris@glimmerglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf80 View Post
Try using a random orbit buffer; much much lower chance of messing up your paint than a rotary buffer. Porter Cable makes a nice one. You probably had the bad experience with a rotary buffer Montej23.
My thoughts exactly... You apparently type faster than I do though!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
beowulf80

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS MT, IBM
Quote:
You apparently type faster than I do though
Nope, you just type more =]
beowulf80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
tman52804

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS/RS
Use WIZARDS!
MGW Short throw shifter
Kooks LT Headers/Hi flow Cats
Vmax TB
tman52804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
montej23

Chris thank you for your help and time to help me get my results i want and require i would like to take you up on your offer. Maybe i can talk with you about what to buy and how to do it.

I am visual person so i like to see what im doing and getting so what do you recommend buying for the buffer, pads, ect...
Old 10-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #13
Chris@glimmerglass

Quote:
Chris thank you for your help and time to help me get my results i want and require i would like to take you up on your offer. Maybe i can talk with you about what to buy and how to do it.

I am visual person so i like to see what im doing and getting so what do you recommend buying for the buffer, pads, ect...
anytime! I'm glad I'm able to help

Theres a few ways to go about this, but lets start here:
Heres a buffer package I'd recommend picking up. This has the new Porter Cable 7424xp, 4.7/8" flexible backing plate and 2 lake country mfg 5.5" ccs foam pads. (white and black are standard, but I can adjust that for you depending on what route you'd like to take)
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poca74stkit.html

From there, its a matter of choosing a polish. If you'd like to go w/ the 205 as mentioned above, this is the link for that product:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/migl2ulfipo.html

If you'd like to take the same steps as I did above, the following product would be used after the 205.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/oppo1.html

And to top it off, 5050 concours wax
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/50lisecopawa.html

Nothing is set in stone and I can certainly make alternative recommendations to any of the above items.

PM coming too btw
Old 10-20-2009, 03:41 AM   #14
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@glimmerglass View Post
anytime! I'm glad I'm able to help

Theres a few ways to go about this, but lets start here:
Heres a buffer package I'd recommend picking up. This has the new Porter Cable 7424xp, 4.7/8" flexible backing plate and 2 lake country mfg 5.5" ccs foam pads. (white and black are standard, but I can adjust that for you depending on what route you'd like to take)
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poca74stkit.html

From there, its a matter of choosing a polish. If you'd like to go w/ the 205 as mentioned above, this is the link for that product:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/migl2ulfipo.html

If you'd like to take the same steps as I did above, the following product would be used after the 205.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/oppo1.html

And to top it off, 5050 concours wax
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/50lisecopawa.html

Nothing is set in stone and I can certainly make alternative recommendations to any of the above items.

PM coming too btw
oh snap that wax is expensive for 1 can of stuff.

Anyways, how good is that sealant that you linked? Can it be used on wheels too? How long will it keep water beading on the car?

Also, I hear that the LC orange 4 inch pad is the best for polishing a car because it gives the best cut, and the larger pads are basically just good for applying glazes/waxes. Does this also apply to a finishing polish, like M205?